katipo66

Ghost Recon - Wild Lands

Surprised this hasnt been mentioned apart from in the E3 thread... im really looking forward to Ghost Recon - Wild Lands, it looks to have all bases covered for what im looking for in a shooter, it seems everyone is doing open world but i think the key to this game is 'responsive open world' and this just looks like too much fun! heres hoping! been a while since ive been excited about a game, looking forward to this more than Tanoa :P

When I first saw title post had that knee jerk "wtf another lame ubisoft thread' but holy damn, dare i say pretty f#ckin stoked! I mean did you see the way they side galloped down that hill :p

I like Farcry except I always want an AI team and prefer the military angle - pretty sure picking this one up but Ubi if you burn me one more time.... :aa:

• Like 2

Potentially very interesting, but then it is an Ubisoft game.....They all look pretty amazing pre release only to end up broken and shallow when they are "finished".....

• Like 1

Looks good but its Bubisoft so we should expect unlocking radio towers and a map full of gazillion fetch quests and colectibles.Far Cry 4 was so forgettable that I only remember it's setting,that weird dressed guy pong ping or what's his name and the unstoppable eagle army that owned everyone.

• Like 1

I hated on Ubisoft for a long time, especially their Uplay but this game and even 'The Division' really makes me feel they have upped their game(s) - It seems like they have a great balance between realism or at least believable scenarios and fun as opposed to the previous completely over the top titles, anyway something to look forward to.

I hated on Ubisoft for a long time, especially their Uplay but this game and even 'The Division' really makes me feel they have upped their game(s) - It seems like they have a great balance between realism or at least believable scenarios and fun as opposed to the previous completely over the top titles, anyway something to look forward to.

The last things I heard about the division were that it was in serious development trouble and had a significant downgrade in scope and graphics. Wouldn´t hold my breath for that game to be amazing.

But yeah, if the map is open then it will be full of stupid fetch quests and busywork.

I'm really hoping they will pull this one off and create a good game, it looks nice... but it is UbiSoft... so chances are slim <_<

• Like 2

Well there is already one very safe bet anybody can make. This game will have microtransactions and DLC all over it.

I've been waiting for Wildlands as well as The Division.  Both look incredibly fun.  Wildlands reminds me of MGSV, only without the various sci-fi enemies.  I hope it is similar to the openness of MGSV.

Well there is already one very safe bet anybody can make. This game will have microtransactions and DLC all over it.

Hate to say it, but you're right.  Pretty much all of Ubisoft games out within the past few years have had a crazy amount of micro-transactions.

Yeah, seems they made Ghost Recon Phantoms pay to win, anyway im not too fussed about the Division but ill soak up the Wild Lands hype and go with the cup half full cos it really looks like the type of game i wanna play  :)

I've been waiting for Wildlands as well as The Division.  Both look incredibly fun.  Wildlands reminds me of MGSV, only without the various sci-fi enemies.  I hope it is similar to the openness of MGSV.

I hope the world feels more alive than MGSV world though, which felt rather static.

The graphics engine looks very nice but the game is a different genre than GR used to be (open world sandbox action game rather than tactical shooter). Looks more interesting than the last few GRs though.

• Like 1

Guest Freerider

Looking forward to this game, I just hope they use their time building a stable alpha. I'm tired of teasers, now I want the game :)

The graphics engine looks very nice but the game is a different genre than GR used to be (open world sandbox action game rather than tactical shooter). Looks more interesting than the last few GRs though.

Yep.Burned me after GR1 with GRAW & subsequent titles.Looking forward to Wildlands especially with it's open range roaming.

Getting this on PS4, just hoping it will come through as the hype indicate.

Mafia 3 was okay but not even close to what i expected it to be.... not regretting my purchase, just thought it would be more.

Games like GTA 5 and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor really worked for me :)

Ohh forgot to mention, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood was a great game for VR, especially the price made it worth every penny.

if you are looking for a tactical shooter then don't waste your time. i played the closed beta and it is even more shallow than i expected.

real shame since the terrain technology is the best i've seen. AI on the other hand is so simplistic and dumbed down that it literally hurts my feelings.

if this doesn't change until release it will take a price drop to around 10 bucks for me to waste money on it.

you'd expect it to be a mix between arma and gta. but i can assure you. it is not. it is merely a tech demo with the most superficial game shoved into it you can think of. now to elaborate more.

even in gta you can't do everything without consequences. it's called game design. gta is consciously arcadey in many ways but still it has carefully crafted balance that creates an awesome game world with it's own rules. consistent difficulty and, to a point, predictable and thus logical AI behaviour that then creates interesting gameplay by working around it. it's its own little reality which makes it so intriguing. the stealthy heist missions are better than anything i experienced in wildlands.

wildlands however is literally just a bunch of retarded enemies spawned into fixed places. stealth makes no sense at all other than getting more XP because you can overwhelm these slow reacting puppets so easily. so if anyone tells you "well you gotta play tactical then" let me tell you what they mean by that.

all tactics in this game are role playing. non of it is balanced in a way where you feel like stealth makes more sense. simple examples of this working well are the latest hitman and splinter cell just to name a few. sure you can try to kill everyone in hitman, if that is your goal. but it requires effort and tactics because you die really fast adn things ge super messy.

in wildlands you get spotted and even hit but sound ranges are so small that you can constantly recover jsut by shooting people in the face with a silencer 10 m from anotehr guy. it's like it's made for babies.

anyways. this is just my opinion and i don't want to piss in anyone's cereal who just wants to enjoy the game for what it is or turn a blind eye to enjoy the amazing graphics and gameworld. i'm just really disappointed about the total waste of amazing potential. but that is my fault for expected anything more than the farcry formular from ubisoft.

i'm not against updating old franchises with smooth UI  and streamline some clunky stuff, infact i love it, but i hate when the game itself degenerates to nothingness. sadly there is not many examples of "accessibility" going hand in hand with great game design. sadly the former gets a bad name due to this.

• Like 5

@bad benson Very well put. I didn't try getting into the closed Beta, but I watched a super mega ton of videos on it and I'm pretty disappointed by what I see.

all tactics in this game are role playing

This is probably the most well put together sentence on the game I've read. The reddit forum is like walking into a mine field right now, and everyone is complaining about stealth.

I've got like $70 set aside for games right now. I was planning on it being this one (I was really really hoping for this to be like MGS TPP and Arma had a baby), but now I am very very unsure about it. As a full priced game it would eat up the whole thing.

I almost feel like I'd be better off buying Arma's upcoming DLC, and maybe pick up Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (which I never played), finally beat STALKER SoC which I started a few weeks ago (it's great!), get started on SWAT 4, and maybe pickup Splinter Cell Blacklist or something (never played that either and I hear it's very good!). And still have money left over.

I guess tactical shooters will never be like they used to be. I feel very fortunate Arma exists because they are one of the very few still making games that at least TRY to get it right (not that they always do but you can tell BIS at least "gets it").

In the GRW Beta videos I see enemies immediately despawning, no ability to command individual AI teammates, no way to individually dress AI teammates, access to an arsenal at any time, anywhere, health regeneration and on and on and on. That just doesn't cut it for a tactical shooter IMO.

• Like 1

Dunno why but it has that Just Cause feeling to it which is wrong for "tacticool" shooter and now it seems like it is a parody of Ghost Recon

• Like 2

I played the closed beta for a few hours with badbenson on Saturday and his impressions are pretty much on point.  I guess i can add that the game in general is just too easy, even on Ghost level difficulty there is just no challenge there, however, I found removing all on screen crap (there is a shit-ton of ugly HUD) actually increases both immersion and difficulty....but not by much! 

Bearing in mind the closed beta was available just a month before the actual release, the games performance can't be ignored either. I certainly don't have high-end hardware but even rocking an overclocked i5 2500k, 980ti and 16gb of ram all sitting on a asus ROG gene-z m/board(well within the recommended spec) ...I averaged around 45 fps on just the high setting....i wonder how much more optimization can be had with one month to go on a title that has been in development for nearly 4 years, so once again it looks like another shoddy pc port.

As benson said, it's a crying shame as the game world setting of Bolivia is a fucking drop dead gorgeous place to be, just let down by watered down content....that being said, I will most certainly be playing the open beta in a few weeks(not officially confirmed, but hinted at) to see if ANY kind of progress has been made.

• Like 3

An open beta has now been confirmed by Ubisoft in a press release earlier today, no date has been revealed yet but given the game is released in just under a months time I would guess we can give it another crack in a couple of weeks time.....

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/765022/Ghost-Recon-Wildlands-beta-Rainbow-Six-Siege-Velvet-Shell-The-Division-1-6

• Like 2

guys. open beta. don't miss it. all you need is uplay. download that and you are ready to download the game. game will be in your list.

they added a much higher difficulty and the province they added is much harder. that makes much more enjoyable, for me at least. AI spot and engage way further.

probably still won't get it before it's half the price but i think people interested should definately check it out in this state. feels different from closed beta, IF you use the slightly new HUD options and set difficulty on the highest.

maybe arma's terminator aimbot AI "ruined" me but i really needed all that to enjoy it at all. also wanted to balance out my hate post a little :don9: