tortuosit

tort_PlayMusic: Simple music player

Hi guys, for my own purposes I created a music playing mod. Goal was to keep it as simple as possible. I wanted to be able to add/replace music as easy as possible, ArmA to my knowledge is not very helpful here.

Tracks are played randomly, mod does not keep track of what has been played... repetitions may occur. I don't want to make too many changes, it is just fine for me. No support for multiple playlists etc. Well, to be honest, haven't got much time for support at all :) But source is open, so feel free to DIY ;)

Personally I use it for Pilgrimage mission and Haleks' Ravage mission. Placed creepy music from... different sources... and have a nice mood now.

But you have to turn of missions music playback, if exist. I.e. this mod should only run exactly when you need it.

HowTo:

1. Copy Mod folder to your ArmA 3 Steam folder, then you have:

[ArmA3]\@tort_playMusic\addons\
[ArmA3]\@tort_playMusic\music\
[ArmA3]\@tort_playMusic\script\
[ArmA3]\@tort_playMusic\config.txt

2. Place your ogg vorbis music files in [ArmA3]\@tort_playMusic\music\
- max. 107 at the moment, no leading zeroes:
[ArmA3]\@tort_playMusic\music\1.ogg
[...]
[ArmA3]\@tort_playMusic\music\107.ogg
Must be Ogg Vorbis. Eventually convert. Converters see www.rarewares.org, UI see www.foobar2000.org etc...

3. Configure [ArmA3]\@tort_playMusic\config.txt

4. Load ArmA with:
-filepatching "-mod=@tort_playMusic"

- In support menu (0-8) you can restart and stop the mod if you wish, it will apply new config settings, no mission restart necessary.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ellzt8ubg4zigry/%40tort_playMusic_1.0.2.7z?dl=0

• Like 4

I have spent too much time trying to set up a custom soundtrack for my own personal consumption without much success for the longest time......this takes the painful sting right out of that process.

You, my friend, are a Star.......

:angel:  

• Like 1

Hey, withSIX guys! You remove an existing \@tort_playMusic\music\ folder, probably because it is not part of the distribution. You should not do this! The night watch is watching you!

• Like 1

Looks like it does not continue playing after loading a save game. Can be started still; through 0-8-"Restart".

• Like 1

[Deleted link, unnecessary update]

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey tortuosit , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Anyway to use this with say3d command coming from a radio object in game etc?

Anyway to use this with say3d command coming from a radio object in game etc?

No and no plans or idea yet. What do you want to achieve? Kind of like "turn radio on/off"? I have no idea about the say3d command yet but it smells like the script would have to work different in order to use this.

I really want to keep it simple, background ambience is what it should be about.

No and no plans or idea yet. What do you want to achieve? Kind of like "turn radio on/off"? I have no idea about the say3d command yet but it smells like the script would have to work different in order to use this.

I really want to keep it simple, background ambience is what it should be about.

It's just a command that instead of playing the music locally throught your music audio it comes from a 3d space. Say yeah a radio on a table. The closer you are the louder it is etc

1.0.2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/ellzt8ubg4zigry/%40tort_playMusic_1.0.2.7z?dl=0

Support of gaussian probability distribution (BIS Wiki) in the playback pauses.

See @tort_playmusic\config.txt:

3 Formats for time definitions are possible:
tort_music_init_seconds = [5]; -> After mod start, wait exactly 5 seconds, then play a track
tort_music_init_seconds = [5,30]; -> After mod start, wait 5 to 30 seconds, then play a track, linear probability distribution
tort_music_init_seconds = [5,30,240]; -> After mod start, wait 5 to 240 seconds, then play a track, gaussian probability distribution. I.e., likely it will be around 30 seconds.

Hi tortuosit

I have downloaded your mod and followed your instruction to the letter, but I have no music when playing any missions.

Can you help?

Hi tortuosit

I have downloaded your mod and followed your instruction to the letter, but I have no music when playing any missions.

Can you help?

Hi, probably... Is the mod loaded?

- When you press 0 followed by 8 (the numbers on top of the letters, not in the num block to the right) - Do you see my menu there?

- If you set up and start an editor mission, hit escape button, put the following text into the debug console and execute; does it display a hint?

hint str tort_music_init_seconds;

- turn debug on in the config file.

- Start ArmA with -showScriptErrors

- Music may be muted in the ArmA audio settings...?

- Keep in mind it does only parse for ogg vorbis files, you cannot use mp3 etc...

Hi, probably... Is the mod loaded?

- When you press 0 followed by 8 (the numbers on top of the letters, not in the num block to the right) - Do you see my menu there?

- If you set up and start an editor mission, hit escape button, put the following text into the debug console and execute; does it display a hint?

hint str tort_music_init_seconds;

- turn debug on in the config file.

- Start ArmA with -showScriptErrors

- Music may be muted in the ArmA audio settings...?

- Keep in mind it does only parse for ogg vorbis files, you cannot use mp3 etc...

Hi, thank you for helping..

Okay here goes....I am going to give as much info as I can. I really want this mod to work, because I can already see that it is a mod i will always use. I am running ArmA 3 1.60

1. Is the mod loaded:

My music directory:

image.png

My confix.txt

image.png

Arma 3 Launcher;

image.png

Ingame:

image.jpg

2. Pressing 0 followed by 8 results in nothing: (not using the numlock)

image.jpg

3. If you set up and start an editor mission, hit escape button, put the following text into the debug console and execute; does it display a hint?

When doing this, nothing happens and no hint displayed:
image.jpg

4. Turn on debug and starting Arma with -showScriptErrors

My launch parameters:
image.png

Uhm..nothing happens, i see no error popup

5. Music muted...

Nope
image.jpg

6. ogg Vorbis files

I did it with two converts. Audacity and the convert from www.rarewares.org.  Here is the info:
image.jpg

7. Additional info, incompatible with CBA ( Community Base addons A3):
image.jpg

Regards

Bothric

On 24.6.2016 at 11:58 AM, Bothric said:

Hi, thank you for helping..

Okay here goes...

Oh. I'm sorry I did not recognize your posting.

is this still a thing? is this mod server or client side? If client, it would be wonderful to have it server side and play over server all boxes. Not sure if that is possible. 

Hi Tortuosit. I know tort_PlayMusic has been out a while and I can't find online any comments regarding issues with it however I can load the mod fine however for some reason when it goes to the Arma front screen I get an error message that the "0-8_menu.sqf" cannot be located. The file is located in the right place it is looking for it in Arma3\tort_PlayMusic\script so I do not understand why it can't find it. It picks up the init.sqf file without problem which is in the same place and you see it come up on the screen with a message when it loads and in game you see, "1. Music play" under the 8 support menu so I got no idea what is going on. Has something changed with new versions of Arma since 2015? Very much appreciate your assistance and time here, thank you.