eggbeast

Rangemaster Forward Air Controller (UAV / FAC module)

UAV module for Forward Air Controller

- EB_arty by Eggbeast using

-- scripts by Myke (GPS) and BIS (Karel Moricky UAV module)

-- FRL_MQ9 (predator rearmed) by Eggbeast

Released in Rangemaster 3.62

Dual-Mode-Brimstone.jpg

mq9_brim1_zpsgkm6mkyp.jpg

Overview

You can carry an EB_FAC_bag_US backpack
place it on floor (it auto spawns a tripod bag)
assemble into FAC terminal
then it has actions...
- Set type (1 of10 ammo loadouts for predator)
- GPS/INS - set grid target on map
- Call UAV

this last action spawns a UAV, and synchs you to the terminal, the module and the UAV, enabling you to pilot and operate the predator
the predators i made have working laser designators and gbu39's and all kinds of weapons
one even has a m230 for a laugh!
basic ones with hellfires and brimstones, gbu12s etc

so... then you can kick ass and then disassemble your FAC terminal and it deletes the tripod bag

pop the pack back on your shoulders and run away

added a TACSAT model for the terminal

added a portrait and icon for the terminal

am very happy with it so far.  Took a lot of trial-and-error!

Requirements:

this is what is needed in the mission:

- BIS UAV module

- BIS Functions module

- 1 player with "EB_FAC_Bag_US" backpack

- this enables assembly of Terminal "EB_FACT_US"

fac_test1_zpshnis8m4p.jpg

Issues/ ideas / feedback requested please!

a. Needs MP testing in next few days to refine, as it used addaction and addsynchronizedobjects and so on, which might mess up in MP.

b. the drone seems to want to fly very low (100m) but i want to force it to fly at 1000m+

c. if you don't maintain a waypoint the drone seems to plummet into the ground! I can fly it about for 15 mins+ if i manage the waypoints

d. the "pilot" of the drone can become fixated on your laser-designator (rather like a cat) so you must make sure you don't accidentally tell him to target it!

so, taking it step-by-step

Player (forward air controller - based on his backpack alone) arrives in AO

fac_test2_zpsg8t8rqfu.jpg

player places backpack on the ground, note tripod bag auto-spawns to enable assembly of terminal

fac_test3_zpsuhisrwcv.jpg

Terminal assembly action (caused by picking up the pack again and targeting the new tripod bag)

fac_test4_zpsquidbchx.jpg

FAC terminal deployed

fac_test5_zpsyq1lvyvi.jpg

player enters FAC terminal

fac_test6_zpskgkkhovc.jpg

example of another player in it

fac_test61_zpsz04qlx9b.jpg

player view in the terminal

fac_test7_zpsixylr6zd.jpg

Optics mode in the terminal - with thermal imaging, laser designator, long range optical zoom, rangefinding and GPS location marking

fac_test8_zpspjpkwvx5.jpg

player can set a GPS/INS target for glide-bombs, cruise missiles, JDAMs and other GPS targeting weapons.

fac_test9_zpsrtdys7o6.jpg

GPS target is marked!

fac_test10_zpsu6mougba.jpg

Specifying the type of weapons you would like on the Predator - up to 10 types available

All weapon loads are realistic (including RAF Brimstones) except for the M230 which was added for a bit of fun

fac_test11_zpssbfhkazd.jpg

player ejected from terminal to enable him to access UAV by external action (from BIS UAV module)

fac_test12_zpsrqurbvw5.jpg

setting waypoints for the Predator by LMB clicking on the map

fac_test13_zpsbondvu2r.jpg

view from the drone

fac_test14_zpsmup7btvm.jpg

Firing a hellfire (3 types available, thermobaric, blast-frag and HEAT) - using the laser designator to track moving targets

fac_test15_zpsvwyu8fqh.jpg

Target killed - note very high zoom levels

fac_test16_zpskencbwlf.jpg

player packs up terminal to backpack (note that tripod bag is deleted)

fac_test17_zpsyi6nqkxg.jpg

And finally ready for exfil! cold beer awaits :)

fac_test18_zpscx4nnarq.jpg

some pics of predator madness...

GBUs
reaper3_zps1ce57d37.jpg

SDB's
reaper2_zps97369296.jpg

GBU38s
reaper4_zpsb49d147d.jpg

crazy-ass m230
reaper1_zps63c46140.jpg

reaper5_zps27afab08.jpg

well in MP, the UAV action (from the BIS module) doesn't come up, so i will need to look at that

also the tripod bags multiply - must be the init EH being called on player and server

and the enemy AAA and SAM's kick the drone into the stratosphere

dronefail1_zpsblz1zqao.jpg

dronefail2_zpsxpjgwwfy.jpg

Good luck getting it to work in MP. 

You might want to look into the RemoteControl commands... which is what I used for my UGV's here:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/137734-ugv-unmanned-ground-vehicles-sword-adunok-m-mrk-27-bt/

... I used the remote control commands based on the scripting done by Reaper, here:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/127105-remote-control-script/#post2154372

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/remoteControl

It works great in SP mode, but in MP mode it doesn't release you from the vehicle, so you are stuck in there and have to disconnect from the mission.  I abandoned it after that as I didn't have the scripting skills to make it work.  Perhaps the UAV module will prevent that from happening, I'm not sure.  Also might want to consider the Arma3 commands at this point.

SAM's and AAA might be tweaked with setting the camoflauge and accuracy settings to small sizes, like I did for the nautical mines.  Seems to be the only way to keep AI from shooting at it.  However one would assume that any remote piloted vehicle would be a high priority target! :)

As I'm sure you've learned, the UAV uses an AI to make the plane fly.  I chose to make a new soldier based on the "invisible man" 3D model so any "get out" or "eject" commands would not spawn an AI soldier.  Stupid but it works.  You'll see that my most recent UGV update includes "autonomous" robots so as to be able to model enemy AI UGV's in missions.  Basically mini-tanks at this point.  Works 100% reliably. 

I am not sure if the enemy will get UAV's with this... the Real Life stuff used by Russia is mostly for observation/laser designation.  They are making a plane-sized UAV with armaments, but as far as I know there is nothing else that is "Predator-sized" with armaments. 

thanks mate, yeah it's this bit that fails: the BIS module calling the action on the player does not show up

fac_test12_zpsrqurbvw5.jpg

which appears to be in this bit of horrific looking code:

(I am rewriting the module as my own, to be able to modify it, and to fix a few bugs and scripterrors that dominate the debugging)

_action = player addaction [_description,"EB_arty\scripts\UAVmodule\uav_interface.sqf",[_logic,player],1,false,false,"",
/*
					_linked = synchronizedobjects _logic;
					_terminals = [];
					{
						if (isnull leader _x) then {_terminals = _terminals + [_x]};
					} foreach _linked;
*/
			format ["
				_player = _target; 
				_logic = _this getvariable 'EB_UAV_logic';
				_rules = _logic getvariable 'rules';
				_dis = _logic getvariable 'areasize';
				_terminals = _logic getvariable 'terminals';
				player == _player && (_player in _rules || side _player in _rules) && {((_player distance _x < _dis && abs speed _x < 1) || unitbackpack _player == _x) && alive _x} count _terminals > 0
				",vehiclevarname _logic]
		];

"_target" is not defined ANYWHERE in any of the scripts...

if it wasn't for all the format... code in the action i could add this action to the terminal directly in the CONFIG so it would show up like all the other stuff does