Sign in to follow this  
projectarmod

Terrain Issues... Please fix already BIS!!

So today, I was playing a wasteland game, and I got into a long distance firefight with some prick. Anyway, Me and him were going at it at distances of between 700-1000m, but neither of us were landing shots on eachother because there was always some kind of invisible terrain between us.

For instance, if I zeroed to 800m, and fired at him, the bullet would make a dirt kick-up right in front of his face, even when bullets obviously should have hit him, they just stopped seemingly right in front of him. It wasn't until he moved down into the valley a bit more I could actually land a shot on him. 

My problem is the terrain taking away grass(which makes grass really pointless as most gunfights in arma are done at range), and the fact that the terrain changes detail after about 300-400m it seems. This has been a bad problem since arma 2, but I would have expected it be fixed in ArmA 3. It takes away any kind of fun as you are guessing whether or not the next shot you take will hit the target, or just land in their face.

This is a problem the occurs only if someone lowers the terrain detail below the minimum detail that is given in the default video options. Not a bug but a user missconception, The grass clutter does not serve the purpose to hide the player, for that purpose there is another feature that makes the player characters "sink" into the ground, but to prevent the player to find a perfect fire position just by dropping to the ground anywhere. A nlther problem with scriptet super low terrain detail is dissappering terrain features and floating far objects. When creating ArmA III the Devs definately did nit meant the game to be stripped of detail below the means given in the video menu.

Never a fan of the sinking into the ground. for the reasons mentioned by yourself. Been there, shooting at a guy prone and hitting dirt when I know the shots good.

Unfortunately does not look like there will be a change to this in arma3.

Set your terrain detail to ultra and you're fine.

Yeah I feel ya. There are WAY too many problems I would rather see fixed than have a big update like Tanoa. Small things like dying when running down stairs, this terrain shit, AI being able to pick me off from like 1-2km away with a feckin assault rifle etc. 

no game is without its issues, but ArmA has more issues than what I can count, and BIS would rather release new broken stuff instead of fixing the old broken stuff.

EDIT:

https://gyazo.com/e956a8372c06071af78d00b7d2fcfaa3here is my graphics settings.

Does Ultra settings really make a difference. He is already on "Very high" ? Had somewhat the same problem testing out sniper rifle shots

No the real problem is that some missions contain a script to remove grass clutter by reducing the terrain detail to a level that can not be achieved in the build in video menu for exactly that reason.

hIgh and very high default settingsdont have hat problem not even at 2000 meters. The point is that this issue is produced in an external way at the user/client side on purpose. Its an good example of how people reduce the graphics to a low leven deliberately to gain some advantage and in return then complain that the game looks crappy.

Taking the fps hit I assume

He's set his Overall View Distance to 10km and PIP to Very High so I guess that fps aren't a priority for him.