Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Diplomatic incident between Russia and Turkey

This morning, a russian Sukhoï 24 has been shot down by Turkey while he was conducting air strikes on ISIS in Syrian airspace.

1 pilote was killed during ejection and the other one is MIA.

lots of blame on the Turks. The violation of the airspace was indeed not tragic, but why didn't they respond to 10 warnings? 10 warnings sounds like a lot.

lots of blame on the Turks. The violation of the airspace was indeed not tragic, but why didn't they respond to 10 warnings? 10 warnings sounds like a lot.

You realy think they were able to transmit 10 warnings while Su-24, being a supersonic bomber, had been flying those couple of kilometers, do you?

You realy think they were able to transmit 10 warnings while Su-24, being a supersonic bomber, had been flying those couple of kilometers, do you?

yes, because a supersonic bomber doesn't always fly at supersonic speed, particularly when it's maneuvering.

They said 10 warnings in 5 minutes. That's about one warning every 30 seconds.

I would like to have an expert opinion.

• Like 1

Putin just said that the incedent is "an obvious backstab" and called Turkey "terrorists' accomplice". He also noted that shoot down happened despite Russia-US treaty concerning the prevention of exactly these incedents.

yes, because a supersonic bomber doesn't always fly at supersonic speed, particularly when it's maneuvering.

They said 10 warnings in 5 minutes. That's about one warning every 30 seconds.

I would like to have an expert opinion.

Even with moderate speed of 500 km/h it would take about 15 seconds to pass that piece of airspace. The whole piece. I don't understand how Su-24 could spend 5 minutes to cross 2.3 km-long straight line (if CNN track is correct).

30 km /h ? it is speed of offroad vehicle in that desert not jet 

I want to photoshop a Fencer into CNN's Wolf Blitzer's holographic Flight 370 extravaganza but I lack the skills.

1364898207091394342.gif

10 warnings i didn't see the any prove at all 

second thing Russian jets are not fight the Turkey just terrorists it's really huge ba%ls from turkey to do this thing  

It seems the Sukhoï was in Syrian airspace when it was shot

Even with moderate speed of 500 km/h it would take about 15 seconds to pass that piece of airspace. The whole piece. I don't understand how Su-24 could spend 5 minutes to cross 2.3 km-long straight line (if CNN track is correct).

I managed to find the spot on the map, and it seems indeed quite small. You might actually have a point. But I'm not exactly sure of the speed, of how long that part is in Turkish territory, and how long it would take to cross that. EDIT: yep, it looks like it's a bit more than 2 km

I found an article on Reuters that reports a Turkish official mentioning they issued the warnings even before the plane entered the airspace, which would explain it. That is interesting. Waiting for the NATO meeting today

So Turks did get pissed off by Russian Bombings in the North Syria somewhere near Latakia? Last week http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-protests-intense-russian-bombing-turkmen-villages-1603191925

looks more like it. Actually, I think they have been pissed for quite some time because the moderate rebels, who I believe are more their friends than ISIS, have been bombed by Russian planes

10 warnings i didn't see the any prove at all 

second thing Russian jets are not fight the Turkey just terrorists it's really huge ba%ls from turkey to do this thing  

it's not excluded that NATO today will agree with you

the 10 warnings haven't been disputed by anyone. It doesn't look like this is an issue

It seems the Sukhoï was in Syrian airspace when it was shot

Got to wonder how long distance the shot was made. It could be that the missile was fired in the Turkish airspace and Sukhoi was already in Syria when it hit.

missiles can shot down planes even at distance 20-40 km indeed 

Hard to tell without knowing which kind of missile were used.

A heat-seeker AIM-9 has a fairly short range while radar guided AIM-7 or the AIM-120 can hit target dozens of Kms away.

All 3 are used by the Turkish AF, but I don't know which variant.

Hard to tell without knowing which kind of missile were used.

A heat-seeker AIM-9 has a fairly short range while radar guided AIM-7 or the AIM-120 can hit target dozens of Kms away.

All 3 are used by the Turkish AF, but I don't know which variant.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article21.html

Most likely it was the AIM-120C

CUkdnCuW4AAxX9L.png:large

Can you explain this picture please?

Can you explain this picture please?

Turkey is on the north and Syria is on the south. The bold light-blue line is the state border. The red dotted line is the flight path of a Russian bombers (I believe there were two of them) according to Turkish military. The two other lines (green and blue) represent Turkish F-16. Not sure about MM and HH labels though.

Is that a common international procedure to shoot down an airplane that isn't threatening your country ? How dare Turkey invoke NATO if not ?

Seems both pilotes have been killed by FSA.

Support to russian armed forces and their families.