BohemiaBeck

Arma 3 Units - Closed Beta Feedback

It is pretty difficult to properly format the Unit Profile description.  The H1/2/3 markdown seems to want to apply to the lines above and below the line selected.  This makes it very difficult to get the formatting the way you want it. I had to make the headers all the size I wanted, then go back and do each paragraph over again. Sometimes this would revert the header formatting, and I'd have to repeat the process again.

I too struggled with the wysiwyg editor. It seems the header buttons can't be used on selected text, only new text as you are typing it. Would be good if it stripped formatting on paste too as it brings in styles from other sources (including colours, font-weights etc).

Unit clan tag has verification for only letters and dashes, that run only when submitting the registration. Better switch verification to the first stage, where the clan tag is set.

As NeoArmageddon already mentioned, i also think that a 2-8 chars clan tag would be great. My squad has a 8-chars-tag since the release of ofp, but more importantly i know many other squads that have a shortening of more than 5 chars as the squad.xml allows it.

I would like to see an increase in the amount of characters allowed in the clan tag.  

I think 5 characters is too limiting as many units have a larger clan tag. 

My clan tag is 18thMR but we had to make it 18MR now because of the limitation. 

It's a small detail, but a detail that is important  :)

We will definitely take this into consideration. However, we would first like to discuss this internally, and make sure there are no reasons why we'd want to restrict the amount of characters moving forward (squad.xml currently allows 64 characters, which seems a bit excessive ;-))

It is pretty difficult to properly format the Unit Profile description.  The H1/2/3 markdown seems to want to apply to the lines above and below the line selected.  This makes it very difficult to get the formatting the way you want it. I had to make the headers all the size I wanted, then go back and do each paragraph over again. Sometimes this would revert the header formatting, and I'd have to repeat the process again.

I too struggled with the wysiwyg editor. It seems the header buttons can't be used on selected text, only new text as you are typing it. Would be good if it stripped formatting on paste too as it brings in styles from other sources (including colours, font-weights etc).

Our webteam will look into this. Thanks for reporting!

Unit clan tag has verification for only letters and dashes, that run only when submitting the registration. Better switch verification to the first stage, where the clan tag is set.

Good point - we'll fix this. Thanks!

Two bugs when uploading the emblem:

• The descriptions say "200kb max fileesize" while the error popup when an larger image is uploaded says "100kb max".
  • When an image with wrong format is uploaded, another image with the same name can't be uploaded afterwards (nothing happens). Looks like the image is cached by name.

Tested with Chrome Version 46.0.2490.86 m on Windows 10. Maybe I can provide more info when I am back home.

if (item.size / 1024 > 200) {
    $rootScope.error = 'The emblem may not be greater than 100 kilobytes.';
    return false;
}

The rest looks very solid. Good job so far! I really like this.

• Like 1

Also tried to change one youtube videos URLs but it gave some blunt red error and didn't register the change. Maybe a problem with any change, and not only with the youtube part.

• Like 1

A couple quick observations in unit creation:

• Under Gameplay Focus: The word "Competitive" feels like the wrong word to describe team-vs-team or player-vs-player games as a whole. Not all play against other players competitively. I think "adversarial" would be a more fitting word to describe TVT in general. This could of course be in addition to "competitive", if you wish.
  • Unit banner editing: Once you've picked a banner for your Unit page, you cannot change it.

The site is looking good! Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

A couple quick observations in unit creation:

• Under Gameplay Focus: The word "Competitive" feels like the wrong word to describe team-vs-team or player-vs-player games as a whole. Not all play against other players competitively. I think "adversarial" would be a more fitting word to describe TVT in general. This could of course be in addition to "competitive", if you wish.
  • Unit banner editing: Once you've picked a banner for your Unit page, you cannot change it.

The site is looking good! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I can see why 'competitive' might not be the best description, so I will discuss this with the team ('adversarial' could indeed be more appropriate). For the rest, you should be able to edit your unit profile header/emblem at anytime, but this might be related to another bug (should be fixed soon).

I tried to edit the bio of Lowlands Tactical, but faced a non-descriptive error instead:

http://i.imgur.com/mzAp6fT.png

I tried removing a ton of HTML, rewrote the bio by hand making sure it wasn't the parser working its magic or anything from a dirty copy/paste buffer. Long story short: I can't edit the bio.

Other than that... Looking good! :)

-----------------------------

Firefox debug console says this:

Object { data: Object, status: 500, headers: cd/<(), config: Object, statusText: "Internal Server Error" } units.min-c20eb80d86.js:95:33
Object { data: Object, status: 500, headers: cd/<(), config: Object, statusText: "Internal Server Error" } units.min-c20eb80d86.js:95:33
This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it's recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More]

• Like 1

The issues with registering/updating/editing units should now be fixed. Anyone in the middle of registering/editing should refresh the page - but remember to back up all provided data, because you will lose all progress. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I tried to edit the bio of Lowlands Tactical, but faced a non-descriptive error instead:

http://i.imgur.com/mzAp6fT.png

I tried removing a ton of HTML, rewrote the bio by hand making sure it wasn't the parser working its magic or anything from a dirty copy/paste buffer. Long story short: I can't edit the bio.

I'm getting the same issue when trying to upload a new log or header. 

I get the non descriptive error shown in the fine image you linked. 

It also seems that when trying to create a profile, I can get to the final stage and click the "Finish Registration" button, but keep getting the error that the "Profile URL field must be filled in."  I have that field filled in, and leaving it blank does not allow you to continue to the next screen.  I also receive no errors that the url is taken.

It also seems that when trying to create a profile, I can get to the final stage and click the "Finish Registration" button, but keep getting the error that the "Profile URL field must be filled in."  I have that field filled in, and leaving it blank does not allow you to continue to the next screen.  I also receive no errors that the url is taken.

I got the same when updating some youtube video's just now.

I had the luxory of being able to redo this (by copy/pasta everything over) which made the error go away.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/zV1SuHS.png

I'm getting the same issue when trying to upload a new log or header. 

I get the non descriptive error shown in the fine image you linked. 

Please can you refresh the page and see if it works? Let me know!

When I click on a unit, I get

Whoops, looks like something went wrong.

Looking into this right away.

EDIT: It's fixed now.

Looking into this right away.

EDIT: It's fixed now.

Yes and No.

It still gives this error when ever you Click on My Units and then your unit it fails.

The URL is for example:

https://arma3dev.bistudio.com/units/unit/2d86ecaa-d8aa-4f4c-88de-4715e70b5fd6

instead of what I would expect:

https://arma3dev.bistudio.com/units/unit/lowlands-tactical

• Like 1

Please can you refresh the page and see if it works? Let me know!

Works!

Now getting "Unit succesfuly updated!" 

Thank you :)

• Like 1

Yes and No.

It still gives this error when ever you Click on My Units and then your unit it fails.

The URL is for example:

https://arma3dev.bistudio.com/units/unit/2d86ecaa-d8aa-4f4c-88de-4715e70b5fd6

Checked with our web devs and the above URL was a mistake. Please forget about it entirely (https://arma3dev.bistudio.com/units/unit/lowlands-tactical - this is the one you need) :)

EDIT: We misunderstood your note, we will fix this right away. Sorry!

A feature that would be nice is if we could get the option to upload a seperate file for our actual profile head banner on our unit page, and then another picture out on the front where you can see all other units aswell.

Hope this picture can help the understanding: imgur.com/a/uHIsw

• Like 1

Hmm, I cant get the Unit profile working, it says ''Unit Profile field is required'' but I am filling it in any suggestions?

Hmm, I cant get the Unit profile working, it says ''Unit Profile field is required'' but I am filling it in any suggestions?

Hi,

you probably had the registration open while we were making some changes, please save your filled in data in a document somewhere, refresh the page and fill it in again, and it should work now. Apologies for the inconvenience.

• Like 3