Crielaard

Arma vanilla Artillery Fire?

I am working on a more realistic way of sorting Laser guided weapons.

The way the laser guided artillery works, gave me an idea but I noticed there is a difference between just firing a shell or firing it through the arty computer!

The laser guided shell WONT split into it's "Submunition" (which is actually targetting the laser). Instead the originally fired munition will just hit the ground without exploding.

With that the question for me arrises, what exactly does this "FIRE" button do in the Arty Computer? And how can we make shells do their Submunition job when fired manually?

If I can recall correctly the ammunition is labeled wrong in the action menu (if this still is the case).

Try swapping the GPS guided shell with the laser guided one and see how that goes.

Cheers

No that is not the issue.

I dont say that it doesnt work. Im saying that when fired manually the submunition isnt released.

This is because the shell needs input from the arty computer to determin where its intended target is.

So I would like to know really how you provide the shell with such a position. It must be a funtion under the arty fire button.

Ok. trying again.

Is there ANYONE that know what fuctions are launched when the 'fire' button is pushed in the artilery computer?

Thanks!

But unless Im missimg something this doesnt explain the exact mechanics when the 'fire' button is clicked.

Its been a long time since I looked at it, but if memory served correctly clicking on the map in the arty module adjusts your aim, the fire button was no more than pulling the trigger.   Your best bet is to get into arma and open the functions viewer.

As per sub-munitions, I think the latest patch may have broke it as the 230mm missile no longer becomes a cluster munition when fired from Zeus, and causes no damage on impact.

I have found the answer.

Funny thing is that I have found out by luck due to debugging one of my mods.

The result of this knowledge will be released soon! :D

Trying to get that newbie forums checked off so I can start a new thread.  Read almost all Arty related post i could find.

I'm trying to get an artillery battery to fire on a support request. I have 6 units (same type) grouped sync to a arty support provider which in turn is linked to a support requested and in turn sync to the player. Every time I call for fire only 1 gun fires. How do I get all six to fire?

Pics below of setup.

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/NoBodie1/slideshow/ARMA%203

de-pbo the files? the functions_f? and the artilery module?

Find out how it works?

I think you are allowed to do this purely for learning purpose, but publishing,posting etc. Is a no-no. (Your eyes only)

Learn't more how to script from armas own files than anything else.

When you click on the artillery computer map and press 'Fire', an object is created at sea level near the marked position. A projectile is then created at the artillery vehicle, and the projectile follows a calculated arc toward the position.

When it gets to terrain level along its arc, it goes boom.

The objects created are called:

"ArtilleryTarget"

"ArtilleryTargetE"

"ArtilleryTargetW"

can be found under CfgVehicles in the config viewer

• Like 1

Nice! Thanks!! Most helpfull post in a looooong time!

Do you know more about this? Is the shell litterally created or is it fired at the correct angle and load by the gun?

Do you know if there are any sqf's or functions involved so I could recreate it.

Just pointing me in the right direction would do.