daoarge

Hell in the Pacific - a full conversion WW2 mod [Reboot]

Would love to do a WW2 mission. Had a story in mind for it. I would have seriously preferred this to about the Nazi's instead but.... it's still looks like a sick mod, job well done I'll be checking it out for sure when you release this beast.

Would love to do a WW2 mission. Had a story in mind for it. I would have seriously preferred this to about the Nazi's instead but.... it's still looks like a sick mod, job well done I'll be checking it out for sure when you release this beast.

You can make misson about a Nazi that go on holiday and get lost on a pacific island. :)

• Like 2

You can make misson about a Nazi that go on holiday and get lost on a pacific island. :)

The germans did deliver two bf-109's by submarine to the Japanese for testing/reverse engineering purposes. I think the result was the Ki-61. 

"So your're saying there's a chance....."

The germans did deliver two bf-109's by submarine to the Japanese for testing/reverse engineering purposes. I think the result was the Ki-61. 

"So your're saying there's a chance....."

There you go, story for your mission.

:)

Or a Nazi that is traped in a Japanese Kareokebar and cant get out, there have to be a shootout, only way out.

• Like 2

I know what you mean. Jumping down a trench and attacking the enemy with my bayonet was one of my joys in HiP A2 (although it ended up badly for me most of the times. The Pistol is always mightier than the sword :D)

Sshh, please don't disclose to the public, that we're field-testing a new combat-proof superglue ;)

Thanks, we hope to be able to "revive" the spirit of HiP A2, we're working hard on it.

Yes, we should defo have a chat, just sent you a pm.

I talked about a little "surprise" the last time - since the pathfinding test went so well, I took some footage which I compiled into this 10min clip:

People with sensitive ears might consider turning the volume down :)

the thompson grip needs to be tweaked but very very good progress :) 

how did you make the AI disembark the boats like that? is it automatic? 

normally the AI ships are slow and go all over the place lol 

how did you make the AI disembark the boats like that? is it automatic? 

normally the AI ships are slow and go all over the place lol 

It's automatic in terms of that it's scripted mission side. There's some heavy voodoo magic involved too in this script ;)

For usual they are navigating quite good to the beach, but depending on the AI skill settings of the driver, they sometimes hit the barriers placed on the "reef" causing an "early" disembark. 

On very seldom occassions (like on todays test :)) they hit an obstacle close to the beach at fullspeed, while already starting the disembark procedure - causing the AI soldiers to fall all over or get catapulted off the boat and most likely die or get injured.

Todays test event was fun, here's the outcome:

.) no performance issues so far - appr. 35-50fps clientside (depending on the rig configuration) and about 40fps serverside with average 50 AI (at the start) and 30 AI (at the end) on map.

.) the nametag module works, but doesnt survive the first respawn

.) handsignals are working, knocking on tanks and whistling (missing the whistle object) dont work

.) suicide module is working, but needs some tuning. Especially it still misses the "Banzai" cry.

.) handgrenade damage values need a check

.) voice system (Marines shouting Marines' stuff, japanese soldiers speaking japanese) is working

.) sector based automatic flare system is also working (probably too good :))

.) a few palmtrees and bushes are still floating

.) the medic system also needs a lot of bugfixing

.) and a lot more stuff

Under constant fire and shelling by IJA forces, I forgot to press the record key most of the times, but here are some screenshots.

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

K4.jpg

K5.jpg

K6.jpg

I looked everywhere, but not at this location (Deathcam view).

The night missions were fun. Felt like new years eve :)

K7.jpg

K8.jpg

• Like 7

god thats are good news ,nice features that brings arma3 on a new level  :ok:

I  stumbled upon this thread a few weeks ago I'm pretty excited as it seems like it is actually happening.  I think once there is a release a lot of arma3 players are going to be like 'duh, i forgot about how fun ww2 games are!' and will flock to it. Im in no way a fan of near-future warfare games, but i play arma3 anyways because it is populated.  Recently ive been playing a vietnam mod for arma3 and really prefer iron sights and closer engagement distances.

I'll say it again, I cant wait for the release and/or more news! 

It's been silent over the last days, as we've been quite busy, while bracing for the impact of 1.56 :)
Work proceeded, but not as fast as we would like to, so we want to renew our request for help.
We need help on the following topics:

.) config editing (weapons, vehicles)
.) forward porting stuff from HiP A2
.) islands

config editing:
We already have a lot of stuff available, but a lot of the items need config "tuning".
For example: The japanese Type97 handgrenades work, don't show up in the HUD. Some rifles lack proper recoil and reload animations. Or atm the Bazooka uses standard anims for holding it, rendering it useless in 1st person since the hands are covering the ironsights.
Another example: If you're in one of the gunner positions in the LVT, you're not able to hear what's happening "outside".

We are not talking here about adding Arma3 features like PhysX, but just getting details to work properly which we consider as a "must-have" or at least as useful.
Things like achieving ACE, TFAR and Zeus compatibility are also tasks in this category.
This is definitely the biggest topic, when it comes to open tasks.

forward porting stuff from HiP A2:
In order to provide more various gameplay possibilities, we still need stuff ported from HiP for A2. This mainly concerns vehicles like japanese tanks, USN ships, etc.
Besides that, Pedersen and me have two missions from HiP A2 in mind, which we like to see in HiP for A3. For this purpose, also some items need to be ported to HiP A3.

"Forward porting" in this case means, getting the stuff to work in Arma3 w/o throwing errors, but not adding PhysX, FFV et. al. or replacing textures and so on.

islands:
Pedersen needs some help on bugfixing Betio Island (finding and fixing floating bushes, etc.), as well as he needs some new objects for the new island he is working on.
I would need some assistance on creating a world scene for Betio Island, as the method I know from A2 doesnt work anymore (.rpt shows the correct entries, but the camera isn't starting...).

Basically, in every category we have a ton of small tasks to be done. Whether you want to help out on one particular issue or join "fulltime", we appreciate every help we can get!
Just two small things: We are looking for experienced modders, as we unfortunately don't have the time to pass our knowledge. And before adding me on steam, please post here or send me PM upfront.

Thanks a lot to everyone, who worked on HiP so far and thanks in advance to everyone, who will help us in the future!

• Like 2

im looking forward to some MP missions if not i can try and make a few like a beach assault mp or something. 

like a conquest where you got to capture points inland and the enemy have to push us back to beach etc 

@daorge

I'm pretty busy with a lot of projects, but if your team needs help I could try to give you an hand!
Let me know!

im looking forward to some MP missions if not i can try and make a few like a beach assault mp or something. 

like a conquest where you got to capture points inland and the enemy have to push us back to beach etc 

I know, I've promised it twice already but I will post an update about the missions included in the first release, as well as interesting things for mission makers soon.

@daorge

I'm pretty busy with a lot of projects, but if your team needs help I could try to give you an hand!

Let me know!

PM sent, thanks!

Long time, no update - let's change that!

Generally spoken, we survived the impact of 1.56 more or less unharmed, but some collateral damage needs to be taken care of and so our list of "open tasks to be closed until release" grew a bit.

As promised, I want to disclose some details about the missions that will be included in the first release and some stuff that will be useful to missions makers.

There will be two MP missions included in the first release of HiP for A3:

COOP:

The historically (more or less) authentic reenactment of the battle of Betio Island. That means the mission will start (depending on technical possibilities) either on a Higgins Boat or already on the beach, at the historically correct date and time at the western corner of Red Beach 1. RB1 was selected as starting point as your mission will be to sweep through Betio Island from west to east while clearing enemy positions. The island itself will be splitted up in several sectors, which will be used to simulate the day-night shift through the 76hrs battle. That means as you will push forward through the island, you will experience three sunsets and sunrises with offensive objects during daytime and rather defensive objectives at night.

Since I want this mission to be authentic (at least as authentic as a game can be), I would appreciate if someone could provide me (historically proven) information about the battle on Betio Island. For example, I know that there were four MoH awarded, but I found the story of just one of them on Wikipedia. Possibly sounds a bit cheesy, but I want to include details in this mission that pay tribute to the people who fought in this battle, so all infos are appreciated (IJA and USMC wise).

Features:

.) naval bombardment at mission start and at some points throughout the mission. Will require you to hold you position until the barrage ended.

.) ambient mortar/artillery fire throughout the mission. Both friendly and enemy, therefore pay attention if the explosions are getting closer with each round

.) will require a Headless Client, as there will be about +-100 (enemy and friendly) AI dynamically spawned

.) and some more fun features, which I want you to find out yourself :)

TvT:

Since I havent started working on this mission yet, I can not disclose much, except that this mission will be a mixture between a sector control and king of the hill gameplay.

If time permits and all assets are "zeused", there will also be a Zeus version of the COOP mission available. But this mission probably won't make it into the first release.

Stuff for mission makers:

With Eden you will be able to place any object in HiP for A3 yourself, works a treat so far.

Were also including a HiP Scriptpack along with the mod, which includes three scripts:

Click the spoiler button to read each scripts documentation.

1. HIP_artillery.sqf

File: HIP_artillery.sqf
Description: Multi-purpose artillery script.
Author: Foxy
Version: v0.1 BETA

============================================================================================================================
Parameters:
-----------

0 - shell types - "mortar", "artillery", "naval", "flares", "flaresWhite", "flaresRed", "flaresGreen" or "flaresYellow"
- or you can make a custom array of your choosing: e.g: ["mortar", "flares", "artillery"]

1 - mode - "random", "ambient" or "targeted"
- default: "random"

2 - center position - marker, object, position array or group.

3 - max range - number. This is the maximum distance a shell can land from the center position

4 - number of shells - number. 0 = infinite (may still be stopped via parameter 4 - see below)

Optional:

5 - stop condition - e.g: "stopArty"
- any previously undefined string (uses a isNil check)
- to stop the script: stopArty = true;
- default: "HIP_artillery_ceaseFire"

6 - intensity - number - default: 1
- to increase the intensity, decrease the number. e.g: 0.75
- to decrease the intensity, increase the number. e.g: 1.25

7 - min range - number
- default: 60
- this option is only used in "ambient" mode (see below)

8 - max range - number
- default: 3 * min range
- this option is only used in "ambient" mode (see below)

Modes:
------

By default this script will be in "random" mode.

"random":

Shells will fall randomly around the center position, with a maximum distance from that position being
set in the parameters.

"ambient":

Shells will fall randomly around any players who are within the maximum range (parameter 2) of the center
position (parameter 1). In addition a minimum range (parameter 7) can also be set, ensuring no players are
actually hit. A maximum range may also be manually set if required (parameter 8).

"targeted":

In targeted mode the script attempts to simulate an artillery/mortar crew attempting to hit a target.
The target may be a vehicle or other object, a group or you can use a marker or position array.
An initial attempt is made, then the fire position is adjusted, tried and adjusted again until the
shells are falling on target. Just over half the total shells (parameter 3) are used in the targeting process,
the rest are fired on the target its self. There is a certain amount of inaccuracy built in to this mode and
its not 100% guaranteed the target will be destroyed.

============================================================================================================================
Examples:
---------

Example 1:
["artillery", "random", "artyMarker1", 600, 50] spawn HIP_artillery; - basic usage (default settings)

Example 2:
["mortar", "random", "artyMarker1", 800, 0, "stopArty", 0.5] spawn HIP_artillery;

Example 3:
[["mortar", "flaresWhite"], "ambient", "artyMarker1", 300, 0, "stopArty", 1.25, 100] spawn HIP_artillery;

Example 4:
["artillery", "targeted", truck1, 250, 45, "stopArty", 0.75] spawn HIP_artillery;

2. HIP_MGsuppression.sqf

File: HIP_MGsuppression.sqf
Description: Static MGs suppression system
Version: v0.1

Parameters:
-----------

0 - static MG
1 - optional: x-Axis - default: 100 - suppressive fire area - x-Axis
2 - optional: y-Axis - default: 100 - suppressive fire area - y-Axis
3 - optional: setUp mode - default: false - in setUp mode, a marker is placed on the map showing the suppressive fire area.

Examples:
---------

Example 1: normal usage
[mg1] call HIP_fnc_MGsuppression;

Example 2: adjust the suppressive fire area
[mg1, 75, 125] call HIP_fnc_MGsuppression;

Example 3: adjust the suppressive fire area and set to setUp mode
[mg1, 75, 125, true] call HIP_fnc_MGsuppression;

3. HIP_occupyBuildings_MGs.sqf

File: HIP_occupyBuildings_MGs.sqf
Description: Places static MGs in buildings/bunkers in pre-defined positions.
Version: v0.1 BETA

Notes:

The purpose of this script is to allow mission makers to easily place static machine guns (MGs)
in buildings and bunkers, without all the hassle that can come when trying to precisely place
objects manually in the mission editor.

With a single execution of the script it is possible to place multiple MGs in multiple buildings, add a
gunner if required, and add the HIP_MGsuppression feature, if required.

Each script call defines the faction, the building/s to be occupied, and information on each MG to be
placed, including the type, if it manned and if it uses the HIP_MGsuppression feature.

HIP_occupyBuildings_MGs can also be run in "setup" mode, allowing you to easily view all the possible
MG positions in any given building, so you may choose which are appropriate for your mission.

If a building is not detected by the script or there is another error, you should receive a hint
explaining what the problem is.

The script is precompiled into a function and returns an array containing all MGs spawned or used.

Parameters:
-----------

Call: Server side from your init.sqf, or any other script.

Example for placing a single MG in a single building:

[
"IJA", - faction: "IJA", "US", "BC"

["marker1", - building position: can be an object, marker or position array
[
"default", - MG type: "default", classname or a pre-placed static mg
1, - MG position index: number, usually between 1 - 10
"man", - man MG - "man" or "" for no gunner - optional - default: "man"
"sup" - add HIP_MGsuppression - "sup" or "" for no suppression - optional - default: "sup"
[25,50] - HIP_MGsuppression parameters - optional - default: default settings assigned by the script
]
]
] call HIP_occupyBuildings_MGs;

Here is the same thing condensed down a little:

[
"IJA", - faction - "IJA", "US" or "BC"

["marker1", - building position - object, marker or position array
["default", 1, "man", "sup"] - MG parameters - array (see above)
]

Here we add a second MG to the same building:

[

["default", 1, "man", "sup"], - MG parameters - array (see above)
["default", 2, "man", "sup"] - 2nd MG parameters - array (see above)
]

And here we add a third MG to the same building:

[

["default", 5, "man", "sup"] - 3rd MG parameters - array (see above)
]

You can add as many MGs as there are building positions available for that type of building.

You can also add additional buildings.

Here's an example for placing a single MG in multiple buildings:

[

["default", 3, "man", "sup"], - MG parameters - array (see above)
],

["marker2", - building position - object, marker or position array
],

["marker3", - building position - object, marker or position array
]

Example for placing multiple MGs in multiple buildings:

[

],

["marker2", - building position - object, marker or position array
["default", 7, "man", "sup"] - 2nd MG parameters - array (see above)
],

["marker3", - building position - object, marker or position array
["default", 3, "man", "sup"] - 2nd MG parameters - array (see above)
["default", 6, "man", "sup"] - 4th MG parameters - array (see above)
]

Set up mode:
------------

To make choosing the appropriate MG position easy, run this function in "setup" mode:

["setup", "marker1"] call HIP_occupyBuildings_MGs;

In this mode an MG is spawned in to all available positions in the building closest to your
building position, in this case "marker1".

Place your sights over the MGs to find out the MG position number, or alternatively use the
markers on the map.

You can also use an object, such as player when in "setup" mode:

["setup", player] call HIP_occupyBuildings_MGs;

Any questions? Let me know.

• Like 4

TvT:

Since I havent started working on this mission yet, I can not disclose much, except that this mission will be a mixture between a sector control and king of the hill gameplay.

why not just sector control with the additional sector will  open only if you conquest the first?

es. you have to conquer the beach, than, you have the possibility to spawn directly in the beach and have a Sherman and vice versa.

in this case the playable area is smaller and with 60 /80 players would be funny

why not just sector control with the additional sector will  open only if you conquest the first?

That's the plan. Marines start at the beach ("Sector 0"), IJA at Sector 2 - first fight will be for Sector 1. If this sector has been taken, IJA spawn will move to Sector 3, USMC spawn to Sector 1 and so on.

Ofc IJA players will be able to push USMC "back", but Im not sure about the IJA "win conditions" yet.

• Like 1

That's the plan. Marines start at the beach ("Sector 0"), IJA at Sector 2 - first fight will be for Sector 1. If this sector has been taken, IJA spawn will move to Sector 3, USMC spawn to Sector 1 and so on.

Ofc IJA players will be able to push USMC "back", but Im not sure about the IJA "win conditions" yet.

score points? like conquest mode.......

edit

suggestion

marines start inside the LVT 2 in the sea IMHO  with the possibility to use the artillery from the liberty class ship

Has anyone been able to come up with a creative banzai/bayonet charge script?

I tried doing a very clunky script that was able to send units toward the player for single player and play a stab like animation once they got within 1m, but it was only the player or designated AI for a singleplayer mission.

I thought something similar to one of the zombie scripts would work for this, but I haven't been able to neatly duplicate one and be able to disable it to go back and forth between a charge and regular combat.  

I could have done a post like this at the edting and scripting part of the forum but, I always thought it would be fun to get this kind of script working for this mod in ARMA 2, but now that it is coming for ARMA 3 I think it would be a neat addition, and thought I'd throw it out here.

• Like 1

There will be planes in the first version?

Unfortunately, no.

Has anyone been able to come up with a creative banzai/bayonet charge script?

Yes, there was a working (also in MP) melee system in HiP for A2.

It's on our list of things to port to A3, but located quite close to the bottom of that list.

A brief update what happened the last two weeks:

Eden Update & Hotfix:

Well, the Eden Update didnt effect the mod itself, but smashed the MP framework were using for the missions. The hotfix made the framework functional again, but quite some time was lost on troubleshooting, etc. The mixup of SP/MP in Eden also required some modifications to the MP framework, not a technical problem, but time consuming causing some more delay.

Nevertheless there are still some minor bugs in Eden, which can be dealt with if theyre known - but in general Eden makes it incredibly easy to place AI in Bunkers or let them run along in trenches speeding up the mission creation process in whole.

Jeza provided me with some sources with historical info about the battle for Tarawa, very interesting reading stuff as it paints a bigger picture about what happened on Tarawa which established the phrase "hell in the Pacific".

Thanks mate!

So mission development goes along quite well and besides that, we're doing the usual stuff like eliminating floating bushes and script errors :)

• Like 7

I have an F6 Hellcat model that you guys are more then welcome to use for this mod. Its at 16K polys and pretty well detailed. Id love to see it get some love. Just PM me if you want to use it, if not ill get her in game myself at somepoint. 

F6_F1.png

• Like 2

Thanks a lot, PM sent!

So mission development goes along quite well

That statement was a bit preliminary, as everytime Im starting up Eden I can be sure that Im about to learn something new... </sarcasm>

Besides that, Im fighting with things like (but not only) Arma3 tools refusing to sign .pbos which have already been successfully signed before and other exciting stuff.

Does anyone know, when the feedback tracker will be up and running again?

the joy of creation ...;)

Good luck and good luck for the future.

the joy of creation ... ;)
Good luck and good luck for the future.

Oh yes indeed :) and thanks!

"When the road becomes steeper, we don't stop walking, we're probably just slowing down our pace" :D

Eagerly waiting for this mod to come out, keep up the great work!