inlesco

Your mission design and scripting workflow?

The time has come to ask people about their mission design and .sqf scripting workflow. List what do you use for accurate / somewhat accurate object placement, what text editor you prefer for editing .sqf, .ext, other types of files. 

Perhaps you have a framework for making missions quickly? What community scripts do you use? For patrols, for briefing / tasks generation, etc.

All information you can possibly provide about your workflow is useful.

Some background info:

• Mostly make SP / Coop missions for my friends or campaigns that I never manage to finish and release (goddammit, perfection!)

Workflow:

• Text editor. Sublime Text 2 with a SQF syntax highlighter (Gossammer's, if I'm not mistaken)
  • Mission template. Main folders: img, sound, scripts, functions, and others. Description.txt, init.sqf, so on. All the basic files for JIP handling, etc.
  • Community scripts. FHQ Task Tracker / Manager and Zenophon's command library (an awesome one!). Looking to discover more goodies around here!

Object placement:

• So far, only MCC + Zeus and Map Builder. Awaiting EDEN to hit the stable. Feeling like a little girl.

That's all for now. Something comes up to my mind, I'll keep this thread updated.

This is my favorite system for object placement LxOPS

I usually just use it for the positions and then script the spawning myself but you don't have to.

I use Poseidon as the script editor

I write mainly all my own code, sometimes I'll grab something like a spectate mode script because it takes too long for me to write one.

I use an addaction system for placemen of units and some objects like static weapons.

For logging a unit position, I move to a position, face the direction I want the unit to watch and the stance I want it in

Then I run the addaction which calls a function, this logs the required data to the rpt file.

I use this to place units neatly behind walls, in corners, halfway up stairs etc, so the placement is more realistic

I then copy the data from the RPT file to create an array of positions and then randomly select those positions and createunit at them, setting the stance and the direction.

Here's the code I use for the units.

This is very speedy method of creating a lot of positions for use in a dynamic placement script.

I logged over 1000 positions for units in Pyrgos using this method

I grouped these positions into Area Blocks, for example 2 houses and surrounding gardens.

Each block had a minimum of 20 positions

Then I selected randomly a series of these blocks to populate with a squad

Then spawned a squad worth of infantry 8 units into randomly selected positions within that block

With additional tweaks and some other bits and bats like the gameplay created was really good cqb coop

private["_sy","_sc","_pos","_dir","_stance"];
  _sy = "ACTIONS";
  _sc = "action_DevLogPosUnit";
  if(Txu_Debug)  then {[_sy,_sc,"START",_this]call Txu_fDebug_ScriptInit};

_pos = getposATL Player;
  _dir = getDir Player;
  _stance = stance player;

_stance = switch(stance player)do
  {
    case "STAND": {"UP"};
    case "CROUCH": {"MIDDLE"};
    case "PRONE": {"DOWN"};
    default {"NOT DEFINED"};
};

hint format ["***  DEV MODE  *** \nLogs the Players\n   Position - Direction - Stance\n\nAs an array to\n   RPT\n   Clipboard (If not multiplayer)\n\n%1  %2 , %3 , %4 %5,","[", _pos,_dir, str _stance,"]"];
  diag_log text format["     <<  Unit  >> : %1  %2 , %3 , %4 %5,","[", _pos,_dir, str _stance,"]"];
  //diag_log text format["     <<  POSITION LOG  >> : %1  %2 , %3 , %4 %5,","[", _pos,_dir, str _stance,"]"];
  systemchat format ["<<  DEV MODE  >> POSITION LOG"];
  systemchat format [" %1  %2 , %3 , %4 %5","[", _pos,_dir, str _stance,"]"];
  copyToClipboard format ["     <<  POSITION LOG  >> : %1  %2 , %3 , %4 %5,","[", _pos,_dir, str _stance,"]"];

if(Txu_Debug)  then {[_sy,_sc,"END"]call Txu_fDebug_ScriptInit};