spookygnu

[Terrain] Mach Loop

the-mach-loop-lfta7-v10-4_4.jpg

The Mach Loop

Hello Arma community, I bring to you my first map release. After learning how to make maps over the past year,  I have been inspired from recent visits to this actual location and decided to bring it into game for all the flyboys and helicopter nuts out there. 

The machloop is a low flying training area used by the armed forces in the UK for extreme low flying maneuvers through valleys and hilly terrain. The area I have used is known as the mach loop due to is locality near Machynlleth in wales. More information can be found here for it.http://machloop.co.uk/

I hope that people enjoy this map, even if you are not a pilot for the game. you will still enjoy weaving your way around the valley and enjoy the scenery. 

Features:

20x20km 

5m cell size 
1m resolution satellite map, which also features RAF Valley. 

RAF Valley is located off the North West coast of Wales on the Isle of Angelsey. RAF Valley is home to the Hawk T1 and T2, which are used as training jets for pilots in the Royal Air Force. 

This map does not have an abundance of objects on it, as it was primarily built for flying intentions. To keep the FPS high and the view distance far enough, you can get a good feel for the speed. I have been contemplating gradually updating the map and incorperating things like trees and rocks. This will need to be tested before an update is released. The airfield is the only place that has objects atm. 

Planned update:

Autopilot landing config.
Airfield lighting and buildings
Sat map fix due. I'll see if ya notice that one?
Possible full map update of objects. We'll see on this one.

Credits & Thanks:

I would like to thank the guys in the Map Making side of the community starting with Smokedog, without his pushing over a year ago I wouldn't be making maps. Bushlurker and Jakerod for the tuts and helpful tips, Milkman, Richie, Jona, Schultz, Neo for the awesome map builder tool, Cyperevenge, god the list is long! Not forgetting, Rock[rksl] for his testing and honest opinion for all my work I've sent him. If I forgot anyone, The skype map makers channel. There ya go! lol!

Release page:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29630#c66480

• Like 3

Congrats on the release Spooky! :D

thanks!

For all who want to know the route to take whilst flying and planning your training missions. This is the actual route the aircraft fly. It takes 4.5 mins to ffly round in real life and in game I have come pretty close to flying this timing aswell.

machloopmap-small.png

I'm a fellow looper dude. Might see you up there. Lol totally read that wrong. This is an edit. I post the first two sentences after reading your post as if you actually went there. Not on my map. I like that vid dude. Nice work thanks.

lol, I've been passed the mach loop once, was going to stop but the wife didn't fancy the climb up lol. Used to see lots of low flights in the highlands buzzing past, was never quick enough to get a good picture, great buzz though. Feel free to use the video as a reference for  players to see your great work.

Very nice. I have taken a few planes through since release. F-16C, F-2A, SU-22M4, AV-8B, F-22A, FC-37, F/A-18E, SU-35S, SU-32, and AT-6 (too slow),  in order of enjoyment flying that aircraft through. None were bad it is just planes that felt like they had mass to them and couldn't turn on a dime felt more rewarding.

I also extend the loop a bit. I continue around the loop following the river till it comes out to the south past Pantperthog.

Would definitely like to see this with ground features.

Would definitely like to see this with ground features.

We'll see.

@Jeza; is that F15 from the AIA port?

We'll see.

@Jeza; is that F15 from the AIA port?

Not sure, had a folder called ivory aircraft from couple years back enabled it and the F15 was in the editor. 

Not sure, had a folder called ivory aircraft from couple years back enabled it and the F15 was in the editor. 

It was ported by Dezkit (He also made the Tee Kaha Frigate Port for Arma 3).

The download links for the mods were taken down though and sadly I don´t know what happened to him.

Probably because he contraviened the licenses. I know for certain where the tornado came from. Which reminds me, can you all not post pics of the tornado on the mach loop please? Buckfastwine sorry, i know your video has it in and i know the mach loop is a regular haunt for tht aircraft, but i know the original author of that model and i would like to wait until a licensed and proper original model of the tornado is released. Only out of respect for him, i'd like to promote original models from original authors. A2 ports i am fine with but not hacked models. What you guys do in your missions on the privacy of your own computers on my release is your business, but like i said out of respect of original authors work leave the hacks out please. Only causes upset.

• Like 1

Aye  np, I totally get where you are coming from. I like many others  did not know that the tornado/f15 was hacked as it came from these forums. It's just a shame people can't respect other peoples work. i'll pull that video later on and re-edit it

• Like 2

Just to keep you all in the loopl haha, Pun was intended. I have started placing more models on the airfield now and began the next update. Atm there are a few trees close by, that may grow larger in area but my main concentrated part is the airfield being finished first before I go further. The airfield is densely populated and I would like it to look as close to real as possible, within the limits of the buildings I have available. I have had to begin using the Jbad objects, because it is a smaller download than AIA and has more versatile buildings than the standard a2 ones. So for the next release, Jbad buildings will be a requirement. I have also used some of the vegetation to be as close to UK flora(not the spread on ya bread) as possible. the default stuff is all only limited to the fraxinus and Quercus models. Types of tree for those that don't know. they look like oak trees! anyway. Watch this space for the next update planned soon.

• Like 1

Some people say that some files are missing ,I for one can`t get it to work.Do I just put the one file .pbo into Arma ,with no @,no addons file to it?

Some people say that some files are missing ,I for one can`t get it to work.Do I just put the one file .pbo into Arma ,with no @,no addons file to it?

Create @machloop/addons/machloop.pbo file structure. At the moment there are no requirements. Why others cannot make it work must be user error. plenty of others have it working. There is no other place to get it from except armaholic and my pc. But ya not getting in there!

there's always something isn't there?? 

You must be doing something wrong matey, there is no airport as such. It's just hangers and a control tower, which are default objects from the game. 

Is there anyone else getting any errors. I heard one about Charion the other day, but that is from a basterdised config from one of my own maps. I have looked through the config and I cannot see anything relating to my other WIP map called "Charion". 

EDIT: I just ran vanilla plus the machloop, no clientsides either. Mine loads fine. This was a fresh download aswell from armaholic to see if I would get any errors. I didn't. Loaded fine and was in game sat in a heli perfect!

Sorry if anyone is getting errors, but if I can do a fresh DL and load with default game no other mods including clientside on the Alpha release, then errors must be user error. The Charion one is still a mystery though?????