Sign in to follow this  
tacticalnuggets

how to tell if selection model is blocked/occluded by its own object?

I dont think this is even possible. I raised the issue and was told ace some how hinted at a bounding box for a selection, but digging through I have yet to find anything like that. If you can get a bounding box for the selection, then you can induce its not occluded using the intersection commands. Otherwise, I have seen the plain intersect command have some strange behaviors with doors, ect.

Right now im using probability to basically return if a door is blocked or not by its own host object. I then want to move to a softer form of occlusion for the failed cases (which requires me to build a list of classes), which will use the surface normal vector to know a floor from a wall in a house. I absolutely hate having to do this.

My argument is there needs to be a command (maybe lineIntersectsSurfaces with selection surface conditions rather than object exclusion). I am sure you can crunch if a door is occluded or not using lots of cpu power, but it wont matter if you have to run it every frame too (hence the boundingBoxSelection idea would be better too).