spookygnu

The Mach Loop: LFA7

Hi all, 

I would like to bring your attention to a map I am about to release. I am in the final stages of releasing an alpha build. 

More info on the area I have used can be found in the following link. http://machloop.co.uk/

I created this map for the sole purpose to give all the people that like flying a chance to have a map solely designated to them for training purposes.

Scaled at 20x20km in game this map has a 1m resolution satellite image and a terrain cell size of 5m. This has the most realistic looking terrain to date I think. If I'm wrong please let me know and I will rephrase that last statement. 

For all you sim pilots that like to do it the way you do in RL, the map also features RAF Valley. In RL this is situated on the isle of Anglesey off the northwest coast of wales, but , on the map you will find it at the top north west corner. This also has a sat res of 1m and is as close to real life as possible. 

I have had to alter the terrain slightly where the airfield is. This is for making it fit. Nothing I could do about that really. But 99% of the map is very very very close to how it is in RL. I have been there. I know!

Here's some images.

view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

Please be aware though. This map WILL NOT be populated with objects for the full size of the map. It will however be populated on the airfield with hangers, Tower, Barracks and offices. aswell as the usual runway objects. The reason for this is, the map is 20x20km and for you all to experience the speed and have a good FPS rate and use full view distance, I am not going to spend the time filling the map with trees. You get a good sense of realism from just the images only. 

This map I thought would be handy for live mil-sim groups that have pilots and would like to train and fly sorties at low level. It also has a heli base on the south side of the airfield so heli pilots can test themselves too. 

Hope you like what you see and I will be releasing it soon.

Thanks

Spookygnu

• Like 3

Is it me or is this a dream come true?

Now we just need Tonkas, and a couple of Hawk T2s to fly... Think you've made my month or maybe year.

This looks great. You did a fantastic job molding the terrain, some of the most realistic valleys and terrain features I have seen in arma,

Is it me or is this a dream come true?

Now we just need Tonkas, and a couple of Hawk T2s to fly... Think you've made my month or maybe year.

Are you by any chance a fellow looper?

I only ever seem to see F-15Es from Lakenheath down there when I've been on a trip to the coast, driving down the Dovey/Dyfi valley.

Bloody Americans... think they own the place! :D

This looks great. You did a fantastic job molding the terrain, some of the most realistic valleys and terrain features I have seen in arma,

I didn't mould the valleys. I took the height data from opentopography and then used the sat images from TerraIncognita. 

For future reference the route the aircraft take can be seen in this image. 

machloopmap.png

• Like 3

Nice one Spooky! First thing I see when I get the internet back and you nearly broke it!

cheers mate! Almost there! I think I could have this out by the end of the day today. Watch this space!

• Like 1

This has been submitted to armaholic now. Just waiting admin approval.

• Like 3

Brilliant Idea! Been around North Wales so often and thought it would be a brilliant map. Any chance of getting a version for us guys stuck on the ground?

Foxhound has released it on armaholic now.i am in work. I will setup another thread in the release forum later tonight.

Brilliant Idea! Been around North Wales so often and thought it would be a brilliant map. Any chance of getting a version for us guys stuck on the ground?

Been wondering how long it would be before someone asked me that question. didn't know it would be within a couple of hours of release though. My stance on it is still "MAYBE!" . My intention for the map was to be for the flyboys in the community. I was part of a GU that had a flight division and I was one of the pilots. After being bored of seeing the same terrain and getting used to it all the time, I began to look for other terrains that had variation like this one does. The problem I was finding was the objects slowed down the fps to a point where I was not enjoying the flight experience I wanted. I had to reduce view/object distance, this would make the flight boring in the end and things would just pop up and appear right in front of me. Not good as you can imagine. 

I built this out of inspiration from visiting the area and taking photos of the jets flying literally 50/60 meters of the ground. Telling ya, those tornados can fly bloody low. Anyway. I came to the decision to release it as a flight only map due to the issues people may have with fps etc. I have had the map at 12km view distance and had no issues at 35fps. Then I began putting the airfield together and began to notice a slight drop. So even with a few objects on it and the size of the map it can affect things at my end. Obviously people with better GPU's and processors wouldn't find too many issues. But for me I'm in the medium range of gaming machines, so I had to come to a compromise. 

I may decide in future to cut my losses and release various updates with trees and rocks on it, maybe a few towns but at this stage of the process I want to concentrate and getting things right that are not in it's current state. It is releasable as you can see, but I need to tweak a few things and updat a few others to make it how I originally intend it to be. 

@Jeza: the Charion requirement is a bit odd. Probably because I stole the config from one of my other maps and updated it suit. I'll have to have a look to see what is causing it to do this. 

Thanks for the feedback and nice comments. I have made a release thread on the "Completed" section of the BI forums now. So if you download and play on it, please post your comments on there.

Cheers

Spooky

need addon "charion", missed file

You don'the need charion to use the map. I have yet to get back to this map and begin design on it again. I ceased molding for a bit back in October. Had a new motherboard put in and fresh install of the game. Atm I really can't be arsed to go through the rigmarole of setting my tools up again just to get this map built.

Other people have had the charion error but still have it working. There was a post in the release thread about it in the completed section. 

see here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/185351-terrain-mach-loop/page-2#entry2939889