Sign in to follow this  
pd3

1.52 optimizations go a long way, best improvement seen yet.

I was a bit skeptical over the new release and what it would bring, since the dev team took cues from the end user community with regard to optimizations and memory allocators, the game has really opened up to somebody on a lower/mid range machine. There have been a few aberrations along the way.

1.52 as-yet has provided some of the greatest optimizations for smooth gameplay I've experienced, overall my framerates aren't massively higher, but the smoothness of gameplay, especially in dense CQB environments has become much more fluid and therefore playable. There are fewer blips of latency and performance reduction so there's overall more continuity to the gameplay from phase to phase, whether it's traversing terrain, or being in the thick of combat.

This IMO is FAR more important than the occasionally higher framerates I'd get when very little was going on in some of the older versions.

Additionally scripts in general seem to load much faster, meaning a good quantity of the gameplay-improving end user made enhancements don't pose as much resource overhead.

I have yet to see a downside to this release, thanks for putting in the work dev team.

• Like 2

I noticed when I ran the benchmark after update as I always do, that the textures didn't take as long to load during the fast camera switches of helo 's test mission and in some cases I didn't even notice the textures load which I hope and assume is the allocator

more importantly, I cant believe how smooth the 3d editor scrolls about with 500 entities + 500 triggers loaded :p

Yep the game feels a bit smoother, though there is still more to do. Micro freezes in MP are still present and annoying.

• Like 1

It's completely the other way for me, the game has increasingly become worse by a factor of about 10 FPS over the last year, using the same hardware.

It's becomming ridiculous, and that's with official content.

Indeed,

Better performance after 1.52.

Also,

Huge improvement in matters of memory allocation, now it seems to work properly.

Before (having more than 9 GB of GPU memory), RAM was being loaded to infinite and was not flushed or refreshed, now is being flushed/refreshed and is dependent of textures load, also after 1.52 the RAM loaded is substantially less.

It's completely the other way for me, the game has increasingly become worse by a factor of about 10 FPS over the last year, using the same hardware.

It's becomming ridiculous, and that's with official content.

I appologize if this does not apply to you at all... but just to make sure, do you periodically clean your computer physically to remove dust / replace old thermal paste? Verify CPU/GPU clock speeds / boost is functioning, ensure windows didn't revert any performance options you may have set?

After a while I found that ArmA 3 was starting to run worse and worse. It turns out something about my GPU got bugged over many driver updates, and was stuck at 600 Mhz instead of boosting to 1250 Mhz. At another point, for some reason my 4.5 Ghz overclock was no longer taking affect. I had to reset my CMOS. In my case it wasn't ArmA, I just wasn't monitoring my system as close as I should have been. 

I hope some of this is the case for you, because that means you can fix it! If not... then darn.

Can you show some kind of benchmark comparisation?

Same mission, AI, action etc..

Can you show some kind of benchmark comparisation?

Same mission, AI, action etc..

Considering I am only ever playing one monster scenario of my creating, I can say that the consistency of conditions is very high.

I will continue playing it until I complete it, it's extremely hard, especially with super rigged AI that seem to know way more than they should half the time.

I've just noticed a slight back-and-forth when it comes to performance throughout the versions from the late 1.30s onward.

Post 1.52 I noticed scripts loaded faster, combat in tight areas with a number of AI became smoother, not necessarily higher on-average FPS, but it was definitely more stable when things get hectic, and that pretty much means everything when you're potentially surrounded in a MOUT-type environment, you can't afford to have a blip of lag otherwise you could be killed instead of your target.

Generally my system (which isn't by any means high-end anymore), can take quite a few more entities in field before performance starts to dip, considerably more just prior to the update especially.

1st mission from the second part of the official campaign (when you wake up on Altis) is where you can test quite well how the game performs. Yes, on the small island, with few AI it works ok, managed to keep it 90% of the time at 60fps v synced at decent settings (2500k@4,5GHz). However the same settings dropped the frame rate at that part to around 30fps or lower. I had to reduce the draw distance and visibility distance to the lowest (500m) and object detail was maintained on low, in order to get a somewhat smooth, between 40-50 fps experience.

Perhaps we can get the same performance if DX12 handles better the draw distance and object details (because I had same as before, low usage for CPU and GPU) and if they manage to tweak the simulation as well to be multi threaded, it may work for this larger scale battles and environments as well.

For people thinking that 1.52 had some good optimizations. Go back a year or so and you can see that we had similar if not better FPS in the game. So do not compare with 1.50 when you talk about optimizations progress but for a longer period than so.

It's like having a car to sell for a price of 10000 euros  , one month before sale you raise the price to 11000 euros and when the sale starts you lower the price to 10000 euros , get it?

Or you could do that. Not only that, but aside from optimizations, there have been feature and content additions and modifications. 1.52 might actually be more optimized than ArmA 3 a year ago--even if performance is now similar or worse--because ArmA 3 a year ago might have been a smaller beast to begin with

Back when we were using custom memory allocators and some of the other end-user performance enhancements I actually did get some pretty decent framerates, however a lot more has been added to the game since then, it's constantly changing.

I will say this, my perception of performance may in fact have to do somewhat with the fact that I run CBA RC 6.

I just tried 7 and for some reason Dragonfyre ran like absolute garbage and I detected worse overall performance, I don't know why that would be, but I can often tell how well the game runs based on how well the scripts from DF avoid lagging.

For people thinking that 1.52 had some good optimizations. Go back a year or so and you can see that we had similar if not better FPS in the game. So do not compare with 1.50 when you talk about optimizations progress but for a longer period than so.

It's like having a car to sell for a price of 10000 euros  , one month before sale you raise the price to 11000 euros and when the sale starts you lower the price to 10000 euros , get it?

What hell alre you talking about? Year ago i wasnt even able to play online due to lag and Low FPS now i have nice stable 30 FPS with occasional drop to about 25 and if i lover my settings i can even get around 50FPS in multiplayer. But i rather keep my settings higher because FPS is not that important for me as the wiev distance and bject quality is.

• Like 1

I appologize if this does not apply to you at all... but just to make sure, do you periodically clean your computer physically to remove dust / replace old thermal paste? Verify CPU/GPU clock speeds / boost is functioning, ensure windows didn't revert any performance options you may have set?

After a while I found that ArmA 3 was starting to run worse and worse. It turns out something about my GPU got bugged over many driver updates, and was stuck at 600 Mhz instead of boosting to 1250 Mhz. At another point, for some reason my 4.5 Ghz overclock was no longer taking affect. I had to reset my CMOS. In my case it wasn't ArmA, I just wasn't monitoring my system as close as I should have been. 

I hope some of this is the case for you, because that means you can fix it! If not... then darn.

No worries!

I do struggle a bit with keeping the OC, it does indeed seem to drop slightly, from 3,8 to around 3,7. The weird thing is, Windows lists it as running at 3,7 while CPU-ID lists it running at 3,8. The graphics card works as it should though, and I doubt it's the cause, since graphics settings allmost do nothing for me. Variation is less than 5 frames between low and high settings.

Besides, I haven't noticed any performance drop on my computer in any other area, nor other games. I'm playing MGS V at the moment, and despite having a somewhat old computer, am able to run it on high with allmost 60 fps! You can say alot about MGS V, but man is it well optimized!

What hell alre you talking about? Year ago i wasnt even able to play online due to lag and Low FPS now i have nice stable 30 FPS with occasional drop to about 25 and if i lover my settings i can even get around 50FPS in multiplayer. But i rather keep my settings higher because FPS is not that important for me as the wiev distance and bject quality is.

I think most of the improvements that has arrived has been focused on MP, while SP actually has decreased, meaning that the gap between them has decreased significantly. So there are improvements, as far as I can see, but most of them are on the MP side. I have had a decline over the last year or two of at least 10 FPS, but then again, I used to play with a very small group up until recently that had a very well maintained modlist, low player count and optimized mission files, so I've never really had that terrible performance in MP uptil now... Lately though, there has been a noticable decrease, while I am pretty sure my results are about the same when playing TacBF (the only public MP I ever play).