Sign in to follow this  
davidoss

count players

Hi.

There wil be script executed server side and  i want to create dependency in the script  to waituntil  are  more than one player connected.

How to write that?

if ((count allPlayers) > 0) then {//code};

Hmm ok thanks but how i can integrate this?

init.sqf

if (isServer) then {

//run on dedicated server or player host

while {true} do {
		trueplayers = 0;
		trueplayers = count allPlayers;
		sleep 100;
	};

[] execVM "script.sqf";
};

script.sqf

waitUntil {trueplayers >= 2};
code...

???

or simply in the script

waitUntil {(count allPlayers) >= 2};

Put the while loop stuff inside the script.sqf, and only put

if(isServer) then{execVM "scripts.sqf"};

into your init.

Then you do something along those lines:

while{true} do // you probably want to use spawn
{
    if ((count allPlayers) > 0) then
    {
    //code
    };
};

Of course, waitUntil is also possible instead of an If-condition.

Of course, waitUntil is also possible instead of an If-condition.

... especially because waitUntil "only" runs (roughly) on each frame, but while runs as quickly as possible which is a bit of an overkill for this purpose, if you ask me.

... especially because waitUntil "only" runs (roughly) on each frame, but while runs as quickly as possible which is a bit of an overkill for this purpose, if you ask me.

Nitpicking? :)

When it comes down to it, there's all sorts of BIS code running, bulging at the seams with whiles and wait-untils, that I don't think it matters.

What about a while + a sleep?

while {TRUE} do {

if (!((count allPlayers) isEqualTo 0)) exitWith {};

sleep 1;

};

Oh right, I heard while loops were spawned by Satan himself, to clog the Universe's scheduler and terminate the Great Script  :D 

• Like 1

Nitpicking? :)

I'm kindOf a freak when it comes to code performance, so yes, this is my nitpick of the day. :D

You're right, who knows what code already runs and whiles and waits until ... just because ArmA is running. Still, good coding behaviour will sooner or later pay off when all the little things people do out of lazyness or because "it doesn't matter" start to stack up and in a sum will actually matter.

A simple example I witnessed was a life mod with dozens of addAction statements which partly had very complex conditions. One or two complex conditions won't actually matter. But with a bunch of them, you could see a massive drop in frames compared to playing without all these actions. And a lot of these actions had conditions containing "playerSide == west" which you could easily avoid if you only added the action in the first place, IF the player has the respective side.

• Like 2

Still, good coding behaviour will sooner or later pay off when all the little things people do out of lazyness or because "it doesn't matter" start to stack up and in a sum will actually matter.

You can see this effect today if you add a lot of mods to your game

You can see this effect today if you add a lot of mods to your game

Funniest to me is when players complain about 'heavily scripted etc', meanwhile trying to find updates for the 25 mods they use.

• Like 2