silola

[WIP] Terrain "X-Cam-Taunus"

Unbelievable .. This looks amazingly good. I love the Castle and the sparse Woodland with the clearing (Pic 6). Very balanced and interesting object placement.

very interesting and awesome

Great Work!!

Hi,

thanks for all the nice comments :)

pWcTGhP.jpg

E89L0zj.jpg

n3u5xgt.jpg

N1EVxUZ.jpg

gSAi3Co.jpg

LaXLmo7.jpg

ZcoFsD5.jpg

M7Go4ww.jpg

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/RUMfN

Silola

You know... I'm pretty sure Bohemia Interactive was looking for someone like you back when they began the massive grind to the #RoadToApex.

• Like 3

the only issue i have is how it would run regardless of your build. The object count must be rediculous. but amazing still

• Like 2

[...] The object count must be rediculous. but amazing still

Hell, what shall I say  :D

• Like 1

Silola: "88"

lol :D

Fantastic terrain so far, guys! Keep it up!

Looks great, you understood that maps need bushes and trees ;)

how many cities are planned? or is it a spontaneous building? :)

FPS are working stable? there are alot of things on this map! 

• Like 1

Keep your view distance down and it will work like a charm. With all the trees you cant very far anyway. Greqt progress and has there been a pic posted of an airfield or military base yet? If so can one of you guys send a link my way.

Keep your view distance down and it will work like a charm. With all the trees you cant very far anyway. Greqt progress and has there been a pic posted of an airfield or military base yet? If so can one of you guys send a link my way.

That's absolutly right. The performance is highly depending on the viewdistance, espacially if the map contains so many objects as Taunus.

Airfield(s) not ready yet.

Silola

• Like 2

That's absolutly right. The performance is highly depending on the viewdistance, espacially if the map contains so many objects as Taunus.

Airfield(s) not ready yet.

Silola

Well, thats true. in altis i got 50 fps with 2km/1.5miles distance.

so this wont work here?

Well, thats true. in altis i got 50 fps with 2km/1.5miles distance.

so this wont work here?

No, with this VD u will get about 30 FPS@Taunus, but u know ... it's relativ ;-)

As a player who plays Arma with over 120 players, I have to say thats a bit disappointment. The map will not have any multiplayer value for Arma players whatsoever. :(

I understand you guys want to achieve as stunning visuals as possible, but id recommend to accept the limitations creating realistic looking forest terrain. I don't mean to be impolite. The resources like the satellite image you have and scenery you've done looks stunning, but sounds like you guys are going to fill the woods with too dense detail at the expense of performance. The forests may look nice in still pics, but the extremely low framerate will be more harmful for visuals than lower density forests.

Please don't focus on the environment close to player so much, because the players won't pay attention for those millions of sharpstones and bushes you fill the map with. Try to accomplish close range visuals mainly with ground texture and clutter config. Focus on the scenery they see closer to horizon than themselves and you'll end up making much realistic visuals you're trying now achieve and it will be playable.

These are just my two cents.

Anyway, cant wait its ready. Thanks for the great work you guys have done for the community! :wub:

EDIT: Do you have any plans about releasing the source files with the map? :)

well, i will test this map with my View distance. We'll see :)

As a player who plays Arma with over 120 players, I have to say thats a bit disappointment. The map will not have any multiplayer value for Arma players whatsoever. :(

I understand you guys want to achieve as stunning visuals as possible, but id recommend to accept the limitations creating realistic looking forest terrain. I don't mean to be impolite. The resources like the satellite image you have and scenery you've done looks stunning, but sounds like you guys are going to fill the woods with too dense detail at the expense of performance. The forests may look nice in still pics, but the extremely low framerate will be more harmful for visuals than lower density forests.

Please don't focus on the environment close to player so much, because the players won't pay attention for those millions of sharpstones and bushes you fill the map with. Try to accomplish close range visuals mainly with ground texture and clutter config. Focus on the scenery they see closer to horizon than themselves and you'll end up making much realistic visuals you're trying now achieve and it will be playable.

Anyway, cant wait its ready. Thanks for the great work you guys have done for the community! :wub:

bVYu8Xx.jpg

Everything depends on your personal hardware. We will not produce a product as ubisoft do, like posting nice looking screenshots and then scale everything down to a PS 3 working solution. ;)

Don´t get me wrong...but this map will not work for everyone with 80FPS. But Hardware can be changed more often than an entire map  :P

EDIT: Do you have any plans about releasing the source files with the map?  :)

no

• Like 2

EDIT: Do you have any plans about releasing the source files with the map? :)

Okay ... thanks for the hint. We've deleted 4.2 mio objects and now we try to create Taunus with forests  that do not look like a forest,

but the map will be playable for more than 200 players :D

Sorry, but no chance, because we don't like maps like this and we never said that we want to create a MP map for more than 120 players.

But as I said erarlier, additionally I'll try to create a "low density" version of Taunus, in order to get a better performance overall.

But first we have to complet the HD version of course.

Silola

Edit:

But Hardware can be changed more often than an entire map

that's exactly my point of view :)

• Like 5

I understand completely. Nice to hear there's going to be low density version also.

Just saying.. every other island will work even with 200 players and they have nice looking forests too. Its just a balancing guestion. For example, xcam_prototype_map was not optimized at all and there is no rig you can play it with steady 30 fps.

Ofc, my talk here is nothing but late bs since you already have almost all forests done. Just sharing thoughts here. :)

Yeah, Schmalfelden which this maps forests reminds me of had three versions of light, medium and extra heavy vegetation. That said I always used extra heavy version, this looks like perfect for smaller coop scenarios, and current set of screens look fantastic as ever chaps, keep it up, thanks.

bVYu8Xx.jpg

Everything depends on your personal hardware. We will not produce a product as ubisoft do, like posting nice looking screenshots and then scale everything down to a PS 3 working solution. ;)

Don´t get me wrong...but this map will not work for everyone with 80FPS. But Hardware can be changed more often than an entire map  :P

EDIT: Do you have any plans about releasing the source files with the map?  :)

no

What PC do you have for 80FPS on 2km distance? xD

Edit: And why can I only go up to 800meters without mods?  :D

What PC do you have for 80FPS on 2km distance? xD

Edit: And why can I only go up to 800meters without mods?  :D

+ Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz
+ 32.00 GB RAM
+ Z97 Gaming 5
+ NVIDIA GTX 980ti 6144MB

The point is..maybe u can play it with 40+ or 60 or only 15 fps...it is dending on your setup and mods and playercount and so on.

We need more life like terrains. Not sure if you ever played Celle for arma 2, but the forests were awesome. Thick dense forests thst you could lose line of sight in about 10 meters. My point in bringing it up is that we need more stuff like this. Taunus will bring another level of terrain to the table that is missing even from BI.

If you play with 120 players and you feel Taunus might kill fps then maybe it's not for your game mode? There are many more maps out there.

• Like 1

That's one nice config, eh chaser.

On the density of forests one thing that might help is the new occlusion they are working on

Well, to the performance. I perceived that houses take a lot of performance. i flew with 3km over forest, i had around 30 fps. in Kavala my performance dies to 10-15 fps 

I think the fear is unnecessary

That's one nice config, eh chaser.

On the density of forests one thing that might help is the new occlusion they are working on

let´s see what the Apex expansion will bring to the daylight in terms of performance and AI (looking threw bushes trees etc)

• Like 1

Seriously I'm willing to pay to get this map earlier.

How much u will pay? Because we all need an umbrella .... damn rain every day@Taunus ;)

• Like 2