Sign in to follow this  
wantafanta

problems with importing OBJ from 3ds max 2016

so after discovering that i have shading issues on my model when using the FBX import, i tried to use the OBJ import but for some reason when i import it every object except one is added to the named selections and they seem to contain verticies from other objects in them (like my barrel selection has verts from my frame selection, and similar issues with all other named selection's). im not sure if this is a 3ds max 2016 issue or if its an issue on object builders side but im curious if anyone else working with the 2016 version of max has had any similar issues. i had heard there was some issues with the exporter before SP1 but i thought it was fixed but yeah im just not too excited about downloading an older copy of the same software just for working with arma models

I only use fbx on O2 import. Period. Ive used max 16 and other programs and have no issues. Sounds like you need to check your various format export settings

I only use fbx on O2 import. Period. Ive used max 16 and other programs and have no issues. Sounds like you need to check your various format export settings

what version FBX do you export as? you can select between a bunch of different versions basically 2012-2016. im having this issue with it turning edges in my model from what i can see (the model is currently all triangles so im not sure why)

If it helps, I found only fbx 2006.11 exporting from modo to save vertex normals (mesh smoothness) and not be broken in any other way (flipped like OBJ). You might be able to use the Autodesk FBX converter to bridge between max and o2, but since warlord554 says max 16 works natively for him, playing with your export settings should be your first step.

for FBX:

1. triangulate before export (simply add an edit poly modifier on top of the existing stack, select all vertices-> connect)

2. use FBX 2014 without an issue

3. from the geo list, tick smooth groups, triangulate and edge orientation.

4. make sure your mesh has a single UV channel. (you can check that using the channel info toolbox)

Since there is an issue with the FBX imported in O2, if you have more than a single UV channel, O2 won't be able to import more than a single UV channel and smooth groups just as well. It can do one or the other.

.3ds works flawless... according to kiory fbx sometimes has a hiccup in importing proper normals/smoothinggroups.

Only issue with it is that names are limited to 8 characters. So for memorypoint stuff you would want to use fbx

but yes, for proper import:

triangulate

autoassign smoothing groups from UV islands

recalculate normals

export

after import in O2, retriangulate with "\" option.

for FBX:

1. triangulate before export (simply add an edit poly modifier on top of the existing stack, select all vertices-> connect)

2. use FBX 2014 without an issue

3. from the geo list, tick smooth groups, triangulate and edge orientation.

4. make sure your mesh has a single UV channel. (you can check that using the channel info toolbox)

Since there is an issue with the FBX imported in O2, if you have more than a single UV channel, O2 won't be able to import more than a single UV channel and smooth groups just as well. It can do one or the other.

Thanks for the info!

.3ds works flawless... according to kiory fbx sometimes has a hiccup in importing proper normals/smoothinggroups.

Only issue with it is that names are limited to 8 characters. So for memorypoint stuff you would want to use fbx

but yes, for proper import:

triangulate

autoassign smoothing groups from UV islands

recalculate normals

export

after import in O2, retriangulate with "\" option.

Thanks for the info too!

In regards to the info you gave me though, I'm using Object Builder rather than O2.

Would your info still hold true?

old farts like myself cannot call it any other way. yes i was talking about ob

• Like 2

yes, OB is basically just a renamed O2 with some bare minimum changes to work for A3 ...

Thanks for the confirmations!

Okay, so from the information that the two of you gave me, and some of my own experience, I came up with the following exportation procedure:

1. Limit names to 8 characters.  Only issue with it is that names are limited to 8 characters. So for memorypoint stuff you would want to use fbx.

2. Check Smoothing Groups.  Autoassign smoothing groups from UV islands, recalculate normals.

3. Check UV Channels.  Make sure your mesh has a single UV channel. (you can check that using the channel info toolbox) Since there is an issue with the FBX imported in O2, if you have more than a single UV channel, O2 won't be able to import more than a single UV channel and smooth groups just as well. It can do one or the other.  

4. Triangulate before export (simply add an edit poly modifier on top of the existing stack, select all vertices-> connect)

5. Double check size of object, and units in Unit SetUp (meters).

6. Adjust pivot to center of object.

7. Place object at center of grid.

8. Group each layer individually

9. EXPORT

10. From the Geometry list, check smooth groups, triangulate, and edge orientation.

11. From the units list, select meters.

12. From the Axis Conversion list, select Y-Up

13. From the FBX File Format list for Type, select ASCII.

14. From the FBX File Format list for Version, select FBX 2014/2015.

Would that be correct?

Also, is there any information available anywhere with regards to what needs to be done with the SkeletonPivots.p3d file?  Naming conventions and such?

7. Place object at center of grid.

That's not really required. It will keep the origin. But you should make sure that it doesn't float somewhere in the air/under ground too much. However, you need to make sure the object(s) you export are neither grouped with each other, or are linked (no parent-child relationship) to anywhere, or are instaces of each other. if you use .3ds

You don't need to limit the names yourself to 8 chars per se, it will just ignore every char past the 8th  (and on import assign numbers to objects with the same 8chars)

Okay, thanks!

Is there any information available anywhere with regards to what needs to be done with the SkeletonPivots.p3d file?  Naming conventions for the layers and such?