Sign in to follow this  
Lego.

Awkward poly/vertex limit.

I'm having a really awkward issue in object builder.

I have a tank model with 14k faces that I made, and I imported to obj builder, and that works perfectly. The problem starts when I add the M2 p3d from the A2 samples into my model, already in obj builder, and when I try to preview in bulldozer, the model just doesn't show up. When I remove (delete) the M2 gun from it, it shows back again in the preview. With the M2 on it it has 17k faces, way below the limit. But other strange thing happens. When I leave the ported gun, on the model, and delete half of the faces of it (tank), so I ended up with around 8k, the model show up again in the bulldozer. I'm really lost here and I don't have a clue what is happening. I don't know, my model seems to be incompatible with the M2 p3d model, is that possible?

I really need some help here because I want to finish this tank so bad, but this keeps me from doing it.

Thank you all for the attention.

poly count AND vertices count matter. You say you only have 17k poly count, but whats your vertices count

the polycount (as in tris and vert count) limit is not something that is a precise number. I have explained it numerous times, it is in direct relation with vertices normals (type of edge smooth or hard).

If you are using blender, "Edge Collapse", "Limited Dissolve", and "Delete Edge Loops" will help reduce the number of vertices without changing its appearance.

I was messing with the model and I realize that when I use "sharp edges" in the obj builder, the preview stops working... even without the M2

I was messing with the model and I realize that when I use "sharp edges" in the obj builder, the preview stops working... even without the M2

and that in itself is a bit weird, but i assume it is possible. A simple 6 sides (faces) cube with a single smooth group (smooth edge) has 4 v_normals (1 per vertex), one with 4 smooth groups (hard edges) has 12 (3 per each vertex). Do the math for 14k faces yourself, see if that breaks the 2^15 rule...

Today I notice that, when I export my model from 3ds Max as a TXT file, into obj builder, I can merge the M2 without any problems. The preview works normally, but as soons as I save that as a p3d file, everything stops working...

UPDATE: When I export in "P3d Old Version" the model preview works, but when I save using the normal method "Ctrl+s" the preview stops working. This can't be vertex/poly limit, because the p3d old version supports the preview, but the current version of p3d files don't. Does anyone had a similar problem before?

There's a weird issue in Object Builder where it doesn't seem refresh normals itself until you save the .p3d or cut and paste the model to refresh it after importing.

This usually manifests itself in a way where you import the model and it has the all the correct smooth and sharp edges you had in your original modelling software, then when you save it or otherwise refresh the normals, Object Builder decides to fuck the whole thing up and put smooth and sharp edges in places where they should not be - so you have to manually fix them.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/173014-arma-3-normal-space-problems/