Just bougth Arma 3 simply for the announcement. Hope to see it pass the tests. BUt I won't go into the DLC until it's up to the win version. Sad it's no real port however. By setting on directx, your management limited themselves to no options ....

It's about as real as alot of Linux ports - even the Valve Source ports do some manipulation of Direct3d calls...

So enjoy what we have. A short while ago it was nothing :)

Ok i am having some texture issues...

System Specs

Lubuntu 14.04 AMD64

Radeon R290

Asus Formula V Crosshair

FX-8320 4.2g overclocked

also using flgrx-updates video card driver.

games works fine seems the transparent part of the textures isn't working correctly.

link to screeshot

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=510590605

feel free to contact me on steam biolinux or biosphere

Only did a quick 10 minute test but runs really well. Bit of a surprise as it feels 'heavy' on Windows 7 and I had about 30 things running in the background on Ubuntu.

I had to set this in Steam properties to get it to display on primary monitor. Without it the menus didn't work.

--eon_force_display=0

Another issue is ALT+LMB brings up the GTK context menu - annoying. 

Pretty excited for this though and hope to put more time into it.

Ok i am having some texture issues...

System Specs

Lubuntu 14.04 AMD64

Radeon R290

Asus Formula V Crosshair

FX-8320 4.2g overclocked

also using flgrx-updates video card driver.

games works fine seems the transparent part of the textures isn't working correctly.

link to screeshot

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=510590605

feel free to contact me on steam biolinux or biosphere

I had that issue in ARMA2 with an AMD card. It got resolved when I upgraded the driver.

The camo nets seem to work fine for me on NVIDIA. http://postimg.org/image/dt2skcber/

Man BI, you really did it this time. I can only support this project.

@tuxfusion I wouldn't be so restrictive about the "only directx" part. See DayZ and the console ports!

My client is crashing as soon as I try to load any workshop content; I thought this might be a Beta thing but I think it is either something on my system or a problem with parsing images in the workshop - 

http://pastebin.com/2WNDm3F7

I had that issue in ARMA2 with an AMD card. It got resolved when I upgraded the driver.

The camo nets seem to work fine for me on NVIDIA. http://postimg.org/image/dt2skcber/

got it fixed by turning of atoc in display settings in game other then thats all good... the problem now I can't connect to multiplayer servers one because I have 1.42 and most servers run 1.5 and my battle eye isn't running so I keep getting kicked.

Anyone know where I can get a server version 1.42 for testing mulitplayer I have a whole group that we can test linux windows on but I need a 1.42 private server without battleye until I can or bi fixes the version and battleye problem.  but I can getting awesome frames on ALTIS! double what I get in windows and no studder lagging when unit spawn and stuff as much as in windows.

AWESOME!

For those with Nvidia driver version problems on Ubuntu, here is solution (try the latest if you have issues). Add this PPA to your sources (info in the link along with supported drivers).  Only Ubuntu sources are out of date.

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

PS. Video drivers are pretty much ALWAYS in beta, so don't get all tight because its not WHQL or whatever it is.

Anyone know where I can get a server version 1.42 for testing mulitplayer

There is a couple servers running 1.42 without battleeye in some Survival type map. Those are decent servers to test on, I got 300ms odd ping to them but worked well. You mostly play against AI since not many people are on them. Search filter for BattleEye=No, Max Ping = 300 or whatever.

I tried the Linux version today for half an hour. Immediately hit a bug. I have two monitors, and the game opened on the secondary monitor. After it opened, I couldn't use my mouse to navigate the menu.  I had to use the keyboard. When I hit the escape key the game crashed. It works fine if I disable my second monitor.

Otherwise, looks good so far. Performance is a _bit_ worse than Windows and I think I'm getting some framerate drops here and there. 

My system:
Linux Mint 17.2 (Ubuntu 14.04)
Nvidia GTX 960 (Driver version: 355.11)
Intel i7 2600k (overclocked to 4.5 ghz)

I have two monitors, and the game opened on the secondary monitor.

Run it with "--eon_force_display=0"  arg (in Steam launch options)

This is good news, thanks BI and VP!

I tested the port yesterday and it's really well done, its playable on my older AMD card (HD7950) which usually has problems in many Linux ports.

If you are using AMD and Catalyst, it works even better when you put the following to the starting options: --eon_disable_catalyst_workarounds

I really hope that BI don't consider to drop this port if there isn't enough Linux users yet. I heard of some people who are interested, but won't buy until the situation is clear. And of course there will be more users when SteamMachines are released.

running nice but can get high texture resolutions

Processor 4x AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor Memory 4046MB  Operating System Ubuntu 15.04 OpenGL Renderer GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2

so far so good, had a nice play through on the prologue yesterday

i am not a linux wizard (more like a lazy windows user on ubuntu) so i have not worked to get it optimized but the general feel of the game feels like windows 

the frame rate is (seems like) the same but that is with normal textures and in windows i had textures on high or very high

never the less i am happy :D 

Today we're opening the public beta for the experimental client ports of Arma 3 to Linux and Mac. Please carefully read this overview page for the details, limitations and a F.A.Q. You can also contribute to the documentation here, and of course report issues on the Feedback Tracker. Feel free to discuss the ports in this thread generally, or open specific threads in this forums category. We're keen to learn how the ports work on your specific hardware / drivers / distributions. Please let us know about both your bad and good experiences as well.

Even though there are some significant limitations, we hope this gives some of you a taste of Arma 3 on another platform than Windows. Enjoy!

Well , i tried it out on a MAC and it says  LOADING ADDONS , INITIALIZING ... , and then : 'ArmA 3 ' has experienced an unrecoverable problem and had to close ! 

We apologize ...

What shoud i do ?

Yes i do own ARMA 3 on Steam , of course  !

Help?

Well i tried to play ArmA 3 On a MAC   but when i open it it says LOADING ...

but then says 'ArmA 3 ' has experienced an unrecoverable  problem and had to close !

We apologize ...

What should i do ?

Yes i buyed it on Steam

Help?

Any info about my Steam needed ?

HELP!

If you're experiencing technical problems like the ones above, we'd appreciate it if you could open tickets on Feedback Tracker (see the user guide for some platform specifics, and mark the correct platform and version). We'll then triage them and forward them to VP. Cheers! :)

So, I just created an account for this forum just because of this non-native port. :)

And what could I say? Just: Fuck yeah! Finally I can play Arma3 without booting Windows. :D

I played the single player campaign a bit and so far it runs well. Getting 30fps@2560x1600 with high settings at the graphics menu/options. Will see if I can get some workshop content running.

My system:

Linux 4.1.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 17 08:52:28 CEST 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 352.41

Intel® Core i7-4770S CPU and 16GB RAM

And seriously guys, I encourage you to do a native port and not such stupid wrapper things (despite this port by VP runs very well for a non-native port imo)! ;)

Cheers

Try playing around with the sampling rate. I had the same problem, but max. was standard. After setting sampling to 150% I could set it to high

have the same problem here, but playing around with settings let's me choose nothing higher than standard... and for me the sample rate can't be set higher than 100% as long as I want to stay at the physical resolution of my display...

and no matter what I choose (low or standard), the textures look all the same, as if only the minimum size would be available, which isn't really nice to look at... also tried to modify the config-files directly, using the settings of my old windows installation, but didn't change anything.. visual appearance stays the same..

any additional ideas what to do about it? or simply file a bug-report?

otherwise the games runs fine so far.. (besides not supporting rotor-lib, which I really can't understand as physics normally is the easiest things to port / write multi-platform)

have the same problem here, but playing around with settings let's me choose nothing higher than standard...

The first time I started the game all was set to standard for me as well. Then I just used the auto-detection in the graphics menu and some settings went to high. (No need for me to set anything higher.) Maybe this will work for you as well?

And seriously guys, I encourage you to do a native port and not such stupid wrapper things (despite this port by VP runs very well for a non-native port imo)! ;)

It technically is a native port. It runs natively on Linux and Mac. The reason people are saying it uses a "wrapper" is because they used a library to translate Windows API calls to X11 and DirectX calls to OpenGL instead of writing their own OpenGL renderer. It's not like Wine, where it basically pretends to be a Windows environment. 

Also, I noticed my framerate seems to be capped at 60 FPS. Is there any reason for this? I don't really mind, since I couldn't run it much over 60 FPS on Windows anyway, but it's odd that the cap is there.

There's also no Vsync option (maybe Vsync is on my default?). Not sure if other options are missing.

Not in the cards, not when Bohemia isn't actually 100% on doing further with these ports and they're lower-priority than the Expansion DLC.

otherwise the games runs fine so far.. (besides not supporting rotor-lib, which I really can't understand as physics normally is the easiest things to port / write multi-platform)

RotorLib is work of third-party like BattleEye. If ports will materialize, I think those 3rd-party companies will be asked to make ports for Linux and Mac. I think those 3rd-party companies will ask money for porting work and that's the reason why those features aren't ported yet, even if porting work isn't big deal. Bohemia Interactive hasn't promised yet ports will be official, but considering my own experience Linux version performance is really good, so I don't see any reason why they will not make these ports happen. Even stuttering is gone in Linux version which is problem in Windows. I tested this in openSUSE Tumbleweed with Kernel:stable (4.1.6) and Nvidia 352.30 drivers from 13.2 repository. i5-4670K and Nvidia 760.

Also, I noticed my framerate seems to be capped at 60 FPS. Is there any reason for this? I don't really mind, since I couldn't run it much over 60 FPS on Windows anyway, but it's odd that the cap is there.

There's also no Vsync option (maybe Vsync is on my default?). Not sure if other options are missing.

I will see: Configure->Video->Display->Vsync. It was enabled for default. I did change it to disabled. What graphics card you will use? Are you sure vsync is disabled from driver?

I will see: Configure->Video->Display->Vsync. It was enabled for default. I did change it to disabled. What graphics card you will use? Are you sure vsync is disabled from driver?

Oh, it is there. I don't know why I didn't see that. Thanks for the correction.