Sign in to follow this  
pwner

Okkupert: Norwegian TV series about a Russian invasion

It's supposed to be a "political thriller" from the people behind the BBC version of Wallander. I don't live in Norway and I don't speak Norwegian, so I'll have to wait for international syndication (if it ever happens) to see this show :( .

Hm... Were the authors high?

Would you have said the same five years ago if a Ukrainian network had made a TV series about Russia occupying Crimea?

• Like 1

No, because it's obvious that Russia doesn't gamble with the security of it's fleet base there.

Whereas Norway... what the hell would they want in norway? Seizing some fjords is not a particulary good reason to give NATO a reason to crush you.

Whereas Norway... what the hell would they want in norway?

Especially after the request of EU :blink:  Did they lost the remains of armed forces when the storyline begins?

It looks good, I'd like to see it with either French or English subtitles.

No, because it's obvious that Russia doesn't gamble with the security of it's fleet base there.

Whereas Norway... what the hell would they want in norway? Seizing some fjords is not a particulary good reason to give NATO a reason to crush you.

I guess tha will be explained in the series, but I imagine it would be for the same reasons the Nazis invaded it in WW2.

Lot´s of ressources.

Safe bases to operate in the Atlantic and the North sea.

Lot´s of ressources.

Like what? Timber, granite and fish? WW2 Germany needed the high quality iron. These times are over. Steel production is not very profitable with the huge Chinese competition and i dont think that Norway even has any big open iron mines

The only thing they have is crude, and that doesn't sit on land and is extremely vulnerable to any naval presence from the western navy.

Also, the country would is almost entirely surrounded by western aligned countries now, unless they also take Sweden and Finland ... The scenario would be believable if it was the Soviet Union and the year 1970. But not Russia in 2015.

Like what? Timber, granite and fish? WW2 Germany needed the high quality iron. These times are over. Steel production is not very profitable with the huge Chinese competition and i dont think that Norway even has any big open iron mines

The only thing they have is crude, and that doesn't sit on land and is extremely vulnerable to any naval presence from the western navy.

Also, the country would is almost entirely surrounded by western aligned countries now, unless they also take Sweden and Finland ... The scenario would be believable if it was the Soviet Union and the year 1970. But not Russia in 2015.

Oil and gas, lots of it.

I could imagine a story scenario where Europe refuses to buy oil and gas from Russia because Norway can cover their demand. Russia takes over the competition.

Well, not the closest country to invade...

Well Norway shares border with Russia but I can understand what you mean.

About the plot if I understand right. In the near future: Norway has shut down all oil and gas production, Europe is in the brink of energy crisis. Russia didn't like that move and wants to force the production on back again, so the invasion starts.

Well Norway shares border with Russia but I can understand what you mean.

About the plot if I understand right. In the near future: Norway has shut down all oil and gas production, Europe is in the brink of energy crisis. Russia didn't like that move and wants to force the production on back again, so the invasion starts.

Wait, THAT doesn´t make sense. If Norway was to halt all production (for whatever crazy reason) then Russia would be more than happy to step in with their own products!

Imdb says:

In the near future, Norway is occupied by Russia on behalf of the European Union, due to the fact that the newly elected environmental friendly Norwegian government has stopped the all important oil- and gas-production in the North Sea.

And the newspaper dagbladet.no (in Norwegian):

Today TV2 released trailer for the new series, in a Dagbladet.no premier. It has as a premise for ten episodes: During a European energy crisis a radical environmental party rises to power in Norway and halts oil and gas production and exports.

Russia, with the international community's blessing, conducts a "silk occupation" of the country.It means that the Russians would invade Norway militarily and manage its day by day, but life in streets keeps going under certain "normality".

It's a situation "kind of similar" of what happened during the Nazi occupation. Changing the Third Reich for an authoritarian Russia.

Imdb says:

And the newspaper dagbladet.no (in Norwegian):

It's a situation "kind of similar" of what happened during the Nazi occupation. Changing the Third Reich for an authoritarian Russia.

Yeah, but sadly still doesn´t make any sense.... Russia would never agree on invading Norway just so that Europe can have back their source of oil. IRL Russia would simply be more than happy to sell europe the oil they need, for a price.

Yeah, but sadly still doesn´t make any sense.... Russia would never agree on invading Norway just so that Europe can have back their source of oil. IRL Russia would simply be more than happy to sell europe the oil they need, for a price.

This. But it's not about sence. I suppose main goal of story is to instill the idea that Russia is evil occupant that is willing to enslave poor Europe.

Practice has shown to fight gun only after the victory of ideology.

Otherwise you will have to destroy the local people.

Drawing an analogy Norway and Ukraine stupid. Russia does not have and never had any interest in Northern Europe.

Russia conquered Crimea currently taking his weapon from Turkey.

Ukrainian Crimea became as a result of Ukrainian Khrushchev agent. When he served as the General Secretary of the USSR in the Kremlin. In violation of the law at that time.

In 1991, when the Soviet Union collapsed, we held a referendum in the Crimea, a part of some countries want to enter Crimeans. 80% voted in favor of the Russian Federation.

A referendum in 2014 fully confirmed this. Crimea is a stone wall with the security of the Russian Federation. Norway is not a stone. It is a stone of the EU. Why is he Russian?

Drawing an analogy Norway and Ukraine stupid. Russia does not have and never had any interest in Northern Europe.

Russia has fought many wars against the Nordic countries, mainly Sweden but also against Finland whether it was for access to resources, territorial disputes or control of trade routes. So the "never had" part in your post is exaggerated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_between_Russia_and_Sweden

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Finnish_wars

• Like 1

Finland is not Norway.

Modern Russia does not need terriorii beyond the Russian world.

Why do we?

It is much easier to take something that belongs to no one and no one needs. For example the Arctic.

Fight for it will only have ice. It's much easier than fighting with people.

Modern Russia does not need terriorii beyond the Russian world.

LOL

GTFO of Chechnya and Dagestan then. Just two examples.

LOL

GTFO of Chechnya and Dagestan then. Just two examples.

Mkay, we'll just take Grozny, city settled by Cossacks (who settled and developed most of other towns and villages in champaign part of current Chechnya) :)

Mkay, we'll just take Grozny, city settled by Cossacks (who settled and developed most of other towns and villages in champaign part of current Chechnya) :)

Grozny a Russian settlement? You mean the fort of Groznaya wich was build by the Russian Empire AFTER invading and annexing Chechnya (like all of the other towns and villages you speak about) and later grew into a city? You have a funny definition of what belongs to Russia.

Lands near Terek and Sunja weren't Chechnya (main areal of Chechens was to the south, in more highland districts). And yes, it was Russian settlement built to ease the defence from highlanders who often attacked and robbed ordinary people and civil convoys en route to Georgia and Azerbaijan.

Lands near Terek and Sunja weren't Chechnya (main areal of Chechens was to the south, in more highland districts). And yes, it was Russian settlement built to ease the defence from highlanders who often attacked and robbed ordinary people and civil convoys en route to Georgia and Azerbaijan.

...After in 1558 the Russians took a plea for help from the Temryuk of Kabarda against a local tribes as an invitation to simply expand their empire in tha direction.....

Dude, historically Chechnya is not Russian, same with Dagestan and the rest of the north Caucasus. All Russians that ever lived there did so as a result of Russian imperialism at one point in history. A very common theme with most of Russias border regions!