Sign in to follow this  
celludriel

allPlayers empty on dedicated server

hey,

I'm using this funciton on a onPlayerConnected listener

setWarfundOnPlayerByPlayerUID = {
        diag_log format ["Calling setWarfundOnPlayerByPlayerUID, with %1", _this];
        _playerUID = _this select 0;
        _amount    = _this select 1;

if(_playerUID != "") then {
            diag_log format ["allPlayers: %1", allPlayers];
            {
                if(_playerUID == getPlayerUID _x) exitWith {
                    diag_log format ["Setting warfund on %1", _x];
                    _x setVariable ["warfund", _amount, true];
                };
            } forEach allPlayers;
        };
    };

When I try this on a local server instance this works perfectly, however on a dedicated server allPlayers seems to be empty.  Here is an extract of the log

17:47:46 "Calling setWarfundOnPlayerByPlayerUID, with ["76561197962746017",100]"
17:47:46 "allPlayers: []"

Is there something else I should use to fetch all the players on a dedicated server ?  This code should ONLY run on the server btw if that is to any importance to the answer.  I'm puzzled by this one ...

Last time I used allPlayers it worked fine. You don't happen do be on dev branch, do you?

Nope I'm on the latest steam release, Maybe it's because I use it on the onPlayerConnected event and players are just not there yet at this point.  Otherwise I have no idea

Nope I'm on the latest steam release, Maybe it's because I use it on the onPlayerConnected event and players are just not there yet at this point.  Otherwise I have no idea

OnPlayerConnected fires before there is a player object.

initPlayerServer.sqf executes after there is a player object.

• Like 1

So I tried

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler

I've been using the regular onPlayerConnected instead of this one, maybe this would fix it, however the result was the same.

BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler just combines all the code from stacked events into one scope.

["EH1","onPlayerConnected",{/* code 1 */},[]] call BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler

["EH2","onPlayerConnected",{/* code 2 */},[]] call BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler 

is the same as:

onPlayerConnected {

/* code 1 */

/* code 2 */

};

• Like 1

OnPlayerConnected fires before there is a player object.

initPlayerServer.sqf executes after there is a player object.

Thanks this explains the behavior, It's not what I liked to hear though, since this means I have to add custom code in initPlayerServer.sqf.  Now I hoped to have a way to add it in a file in the folder of my "mechanic", keeping it detached from the main mission files.  Now I'll have to mix variables of my mechanic inside the root files :(.  Oh well I'll live with it.

Bah didn't work :( I need to find a better way

using allPlayers in  initPlayerServer.sqf still returns an empty array.  Maybe the player is only known to that function after initPlayerServer.sqf has run and not during :(

Bah didn't work :( I need to find a better way

using allPlayers in  initPlayerServer.sqf still returns an empty array.  Maybe the player is only known to that function after initPlayerServer.sqf has run and not during :(

Not only allPlayers works perfectly in initPlayerServer.sqf and returns all players (just checked), _this param passed to initPlayerServer.sqf contains player object, so there is no need for allPlayers all together.

• Like 1

Not only allPlayers works perfectly in initPlayerServer.sqf and returns all players (just checked), _this param passed to initPlayerServer.sqf contains player object, so there is no need for allPlayers all together.

Then we have both different behaviors going on ???  Cause I can assure you I'm printing out allPlayers during initPlayerServer.sqf runs and it is empty.  But I'll check again when I get home.  However you are right ... I actually don't need allPlayers anymore if I rewrite a bit of code and pass the player object to my method instead of just the UID