spookygnu

10 steps using Opentopography to L3dt

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGVkyqKfsc0VjhuQ2FqbExFOEk/view

above is a link to my google drive document I created to help people who want to use Opentopography and L3dt to create a real world location for the Arma series. 

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help "as much as I can". I'm no expert but I put this together using a method I found simple enough for even the newest of the new of map creators. Plus with the addition of the Terrain processor being in Dev and testing stages, I can only see more people joining in on the map making trip. 

Post your queries here and I'm sure eagle eyes will be able to answer. 

cheers 

spook.

The document is very useful  and should be of great help to those wanting to create their own maps.

One thing I did notice is that in your document you mention that one of the links is 30 m US data and the global one is 90 m

The site specifies

so i think 30 m is global as well.

I purchased arma3 in July and have started creating my first terrain here   https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/184560-wip-the-rhodesian-bush-war/

I pretty much have mastered the steps in your document and can get all the maps and textures in to L3DT professional.......

however I have spent 3 days so far trying to go the next step after L3DT and have pretty much stalled there.... have tried CAPTNCAPS youtube tutorials with little success.

Do you know of any easy to follow tutorials that will go through the steps I need to go from L3Dt to where I can use the editor to start placing objects in the map.

There are so many tutorials out there and each one has not ended with my getting the same results as seen in the tutorial.

I think if there was a step by step guide with sample files available we would see a lot more people creating new maps for arma 3.

Jakerods "The Atlas" tutorial is by far the best introduction to A3 terrains and the new tools...

It has sample files and steps you through all the basic processes. 

You can also then reuse the basic config, cfgSurfaces, layers.cfg, etc files - with a little repathing - for your own project...

Here's a link...

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/178033-the-atlas-guide-to-arma-3-terrain-making/

Post any problems encountered with it in that thread and someone will help out...

B

after posting that I have found another tutorial https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/178033-the-atlas-guide-to-arma-3-terrain-making/      which seems to be another way of creating terrain and seems more detailed with additional steps.......will try that tonight.

With opentopography is there a way to get the google earth images as klm files ....... there is an option to create the klm files but i have not been able to get them to issues any klm files.

Thanks bushlurker........ you posted a minute before me with the same  atlas stuff....... will give it a go.

Thanks bushlurker. I was going to suggest the same thing.

There does seem to be a few people having problems using those videos. Don't get me wrong, what he is doing does help to an extent but i think some info could do with being described better.

Anyway, when i wrote the tut it was only the us that had 30m res. They did update the global resolution a few months back.

Thanks for using the tut and its good to hear that you didn't have many issues with it.

May i suggest looking at map builder aswell for object placement. It is in developement atm but once you have your images and your heightmap sorted you can easily place objects in the in-game editor turning into a 3d editor. Then you can export and import to TB having all you objects easily placed from the game.

Lets us know how you are getting on. There is also the skype channel where people will help out with any issues you may have.