BohemiaBeck

Forums migration/update status items

Thank you for the response quoted below, however this does not solve any issues on my end. I'd like to point you to this thread https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/184545-mynocks-missions/?p=2909421 in which I just tried to make a very simple addition by adding one bulleted line to the In Progress section. Everything in the editor looked great, however upon submitting the modified post, the result was absolutely awful. There are now blank bullet pointed lines, text sizes are changed from their original, and a variety of other issues. Using bbcode does not fix any of these issues. I will leave my thread looking like crap so you can see evidence of how awful it is to attempt to edit anything. Once again I want to make it extremely clear, I had the post looking 100% how I wanted it before clicking submit, but the forum decided it needed to look terrible and took things into its own hands and ruined it for probably the 30th time in a row. I spent approximately 45 minutes editing it over and over before finally giving up because the forum is so uncooperative and unresponsive to changes or creates changes all on its own. https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/184545-mynocks-missions/?p=2909421

I am using Chrome browser just like I image the majority of your other forum users are.

Additionally, as of today, the quick editor does not work at all. Submitting an edited post via the quick editor results in the green loading bar like it's trying to process, then nothing happens and you have to enter the full editor.

I do not have any of these issues with any other forums I use on a daily basis which are a variety of different phpbb forums with various formats. This is the only forum I have this incredibly frustrating issues with. I'm sure I am not the only one with these issues.

Sorry that you are having issues. I just did a test using chrome. I took the content of your post and created a test hidden post with the content. While I am not sure exactly how you want the post to look, I was able to remove the obvious blank bullet lines. To do so, begin to edit your post and click on the first lightswitch looking icon in the top left corner of the editor. This will turn off the wysiwyg and allow you to view post in just text and bbcode. I went through and deleted each blank bullet line, which look like:

[*] [/*]

This removed the blank bullet lines in my hidden test post and it looked much better. You can then toggle back to wysiwyg and highlight certain text and change font color and size, etc.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

I have to agree with Mynock on the error hes seeing, where a blank line gets inserted into every other line and can be annoying as hell when youve just made/edited a large post.

I have it happen every third or fourth posts some times within a block ([][/]) sometimes it will do it to the whole post. Mainly seems to happen from the full editor once you have previewed and then made changes and previewed again, although i have not been able to pin point a specific set of action that is producing it. Have had it occasionally happen from the thread edit box aswell. Using Firefox 40.0.3

I am having terrible trouble editing my signature.  All I want to do is add another link at the bottom, and I cannot do it no matter what, in Firefox and Chrome.  When I try and save changes, even if I haven't changed anything, I get an error that an image exceeds size limit, which is not true.  The image I use at the top of the sig is only 218 x 158.  Something seems quite wrong with the editor.  The same problem occurs with WYSIWYG and the text only ("light switch") editing method.  :wacko: :386:

Sorry that you are having issues. I just did a test using chrome. I took the content of your post and created a test hidden post with the content. While I am not sure exactly how you want the post to look, I was able to remove the obvious blank bullet lines. To do so, begin to edit your post and click on the first lightswitch looking icon in the top left corner of the editor. This will turn off the wysiwyg and allow you to view post in just text and bbcode. I went through and deleted each blank bullet line, which look like:

[*] [/*]
This removed the blank bullet lines in my hidden test post and it looked much better. You can then toggle back to wysiwyg and highlight certain text and change font color and size, etc.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

Thank you for the response. I was unaware the lightswitch button was required for bbcode editing, that is the first time I've seen an option to toggle two different editors on and off. Other forums I use daily accept bbcode or button based editing simultaneously. I will use the bbcode editor exclusively from now on to avoid problems. This also explains why using bbcode previously did not correctly change font size as the font size numbers do not correspond to the actual size of the font (example: size=3 is equal to the size 12 font). It appears what happens with the non-bbcode text editor is it does not delete old changes when making new ones. So for example, if the font somehow appears in size 3, and you change it to size 4, it won't change because it's trying to set two different font sizes at the same time and the program clearly gets confused. Hopefully stuff like that will be fixed in the future so it's less of a headache.

Thanks for the assistance. Hopefully I can stop pulling my hair out now.

I am having terrible trouble editing my signature.  All I want to do is add another link at the bottom, and I cannot do it no matter what, in Firefox and Chrome.  When I try and save changes, even if I haven't changed anything, I get an error that an image exceeds size limit, which is not true.  The image I use at the top of the sig is only 218 x 158.  Something seems quite wrong with the editor.  The same problem occurs with WYSIWYG and the text only ("light switch") editing method.  :wacko: :386:

Here is the error:

Does the error have something to do with the .png format of the image?

Sorry you are having the issue. I think that it is caused by the image size, 158 is 8 pixels over the height limit. There was a time after the migration where their was no restriction on the signature. Users who created or edited their signature during this window of time were able to use images without restriction. However, now the limit max size is 600 x 150.

Here are the limits on signatures: Signature is limited to 5 images max, the maximum size a single image can be is 600 x 150(do not stack images vertically if the stacked images end up taller than 150px in height, 150px is the maximum height for combined text and images), maximum 10 urls, maximum 10 lines.  

Sorry you are having the issue. I think that it is caused by the image size, 158 is 8 pixels over the height limit. There was a time after the migration where their was no restriction on the signature. Users who created or edited their signature during this window of time were able to use images without restriction. However, now the limit max size is 600 x 150.

Here are the limits on signatures: Signature is limited to 5 images max, the maximum size a single image can be is 600 x 150(do not stack images vertically if the stacked images end up taller than 150px in height, 150px is the maximum height for combined text and images), maximum 10 urls, maximum 10 lines.  

Got it. Thanks.

Not having the option to mark the entire forum thread is still gone missing. Would looooove to have that one back :)

Not having the option to mark the entire forum thread is still gone missing. Would looooove to have that one back :)

It is available, however might be slightly hidden for users. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, near the orange RSS feed icon, there is a link "Mark Community Read" and you can choose to have the whole forum as "Mark all as read".

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

Oh wow. Well hidden indeed! :)

Thanks for letting me know, much appreciated!

A suggestion for a feature we had on the other forum is to have the social media icons/links under our avatars again.

Also is there a check box anywhere to remain logged in, as every-time i come here it seems i have to log in except for the past couple days.

There seems to be some issues when autocompleting both login fields via a 3rd app or browser extension. As in, it doesn't enable the LOG IN button unless you "activate" the username and password fields manually (say, by placing a space at the start of each field and then deleting it, to poke and wake up the input field).

This is happening to me with the KeeFox extension (a Firefox extension for KeePass) which I'm using since LastPass was acquired by LogMeIn.

can anything be done about quoting post that contain images? As in remove the preview if the post is quoted?

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Any progress on Tapatalk - as it's my preferred way of interacting with forums...

Regards,
Scott

Second that.... Tapatalk is essential for me to be able to manage reading all posts due to the sheer scale of the forums.

can anything be done about quoting post that contain images? As in remove the preview if the post is quoted?

It is planned to resolve this as well as to not render video's there.

Hi Folks,

Any progress on Tapatalk - as it's my preferred way of interacting with forums...

Regards,

Scott

Second that.... Tapatalk is essential for me to be able to manage reading all posts due to the sheer scale of the forums.

Tapatalk resolution is planned and will will be tested when we update to version 4. The update to version 4 is planned for the next main maintenance and it will include many other fixes, like the images and video to not render in quoted text. Along with many other fixes that have been waiting for the update to restore some feature from before the migration, features from the old forums.

I currently do not have an ETA for the update, but as soon as I do I will update the thread and it will be announced. Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

• Like 2

Hi BohemiaBeck. 

I want to pointed out another question about search engine. 

Today I was wander on the forum and i noticed that, maybe, we have a problem with 4+ length words too. 

If i search for two 4+ words but not in strength succession in the forum, maybe some word separated, the result is nothing at all.

If the two words is in strength succession, so it comes.

To replicate simple go on a random thread and choose on a post two separated 4+ words you feel hard to normally find together. Now put them on search engine and try to find them in that post you are randomly selected a moment ago. You can't, unless the two words are in succession in other post.

Maybe is not a bug but simple a tweaking like words limitation, just asking, but i want to say that i found search engine a little unuseful.  

Sorry for my english, i hope you can understand. 

May appear like nitpicking, but now that MANW is over, could you put Arma 3 Editing Section over it? Right now, it's below MANW.

Just my 0.02 on the matter.

Hi BohemiaBeck. 

I want to pointed out another question about search engine. 

Today I was wander on the forum and i noticed that, maybe, we have a problem with 4+ length words too. 

If i search for two 4+ words but not in strength succession in the forum, maybe some word separated, the result is nothing at all.

If the two words is in strength succession, so it comes.

To replicate simple go on a random thread and choose on a post two separated 4+ words you feel hard to normally find together. Now put them on search engine and try to find them in that post you are randomly selected a moment ago. You can't, unless the two words are in succession in other post.

Maybe is not a bug but simple a tweaking like words limitation, just asking, but i want to say that i found search engine a little unuseful.  

Sorry for my english, i hope you can understand. 

Thank you for the feedback. We will look into this issue and we will test for it. The current forums search functionality is very limited, has several issues and is not our prefered choice. Unfortunately we are stuck with it for the moment. Our current plan is to replace the current search system with a better one. For this to occur we are evaluating alternative indexing and search systems that we can potentially replace the current system with. We will be testing these new systems along with our testing of version 4 of the forums software. The testing for version 4 will include testing and resolving all the other issues from the migration as well. For the time being, and I agree it is not as convienient, use Google advanced search, put your search terms of 2, 3 and 4 letter words in quotes in the "this exact word or phrase:" field and put the forums url http://forums.bistudio.comin the "site or domain:" field, and perform your search using Google.

May appear like nitpicking, but now that MANW is over, could you put Arma 3 Editing Section over it? Right now, it's below MANW.

Just my 0.02 on the matter.

Thank you for your feedback. We do have a plan to better organize the main section of sub-forums with our testing of version 4. Its also likely we can make some changes ahead of that schedule, relatively soon.

• Like 1

Is the forums still being worked on? There are still several old functionalities that have remained broken, or were never migrated at all.

1. Forum badges - Arma 3 supporter patch, MANW patches are shown only on the user profile, and not on the poster's avatar section.

2. There used to be a view in the old forums showing posts made by friends. As far as I can see, it's not available now.

3. When quoting a message there's no way to drop a line, you get stuck within the quote frame. The only way I can see around it is switch off the rich text editor, and that's a shame after all this time.

4. I still require to login the first time I click the favorite icon of my followed posts, and when I do, it throws me to the forums homepage.

The vertical space is much better on the main page of the forums. I (personally) would still like to see the rest of the forum improved in a similar fashion... minimizing the amount of vertical dead space on threadlists, threads, etc.

Somehow, I still get logged out quite often for no reason. And when I come from an external link to these forums, Its super frustrating that logging in bounces you to the main page... That should be a simple fix!

Somehow, I still get logged out quite often for no reason. And when I come from an external link to these forums, Its super frustrating that logging in bounces you to the main page... That should be a simple fix!

That seems quite inconsistent because it never happens to me (on Chrome, IE or Edge). On the other hand, i cannot log at all with my phone, whatever i do :blink:

Is the forums still being worked on? There are still several old functionalities that have remained broken, or were never migrated at all.

1. Forum badges - Arma 3 supporter patch, MANW patches are shown only on the user profile, and not on the poster's avatar section.

2. There used to be a view in the old forums showing posts made by friends. As far as I can see, it's not available now.

3. When quoting a message there's no way to drop a line, you get stuck within the quote frame. The only way I can see around it is switch off the rich text editor, and that's a shame after all this time.

4. I still require to login the first time I click the favorite icon of my followed posts, and when I do, it throws me to the forums homepage.

Hello Variable,

Thank you for this feedback. These will be added if they are not already(some are) and tracked.

The web team currently has many high priority items that has been keeping their schedule booked over the past few weeks, and will likely keep them booked for another while. These high priority items include all new features and functionality, most of which are for Arma 3. Some of these items have not yet been announced, and some can be seen like the pages and some of the back end work for the Arma 3 End Game Tournament: http://arma3.com/end-game-tournament

We have not forgotten about the fixes and improvements to the forums and we do plan to continually address them.

Thank you for your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

Hello rundll.exe,

There are a couple different variants of this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience. It has been logged and tracked and we are looking to fix these token expire/login issues, as well as the redirect to the home page after the login.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck