BohemiaBeck

Forums migration/update status items

Hello,

Check back here and provide feedback to this thread for forum issues and updates.

Since the forums migration from vBulletin to IPB a couple of weeks ago we have been busy resolving issues and making improvements. I know for some of you it has not been as quick as you want, but thank you for your understanding and patience. Rest assured the web team is continuing to address issues and make improvements.
Please know that the main purpose for the migration was for special back end support for the unified BI account system. The unified account system is used in the store, for new games and for all future features and services intended for the community.

If you don't see your issue here, provide your detailed feedback in a reply in this thread and we will be sure to address it. Also, if you feel that an issue that now appears in the fixed list is not fixed in the way that you desire, please provide such feedback for discussion. While we cannot guarantee that every request for changes will be implemented, please know that we fully respect all of your viewpoints and concerns of how the forums function and how you like to use the forums. We will make every reasonable effort to review, asses and implement the features and functionality you desire.

Here are issues/suggestions we are tracking(not in any particular order):

821. Issue with IE after long inactivity on post edit, logout - constant page refresh
800. Missing ability to state a reason when displaying the "Edited by" text.
760. Email notification per subscribed thread. Currently email is on or off, then per thread is all, daily or weekly.
757. Login takes user to front page, should stay on page user was browsing after login.
680. Search functionality limited to four characters or more only. Looking into performance issues by adding at least three characters or more.
679. Community groups from previous forums, migrate and add functionality to new forums.
678. Go to latest unread post(small blue dot icon) not on locked thread(small lock icon in way)
622. Ability to export PMs as xls. (archive conversation - export PM to email available)
898. Friends list, can hover over name but more clear interaction options, like send PM should be visible.
906. Vote on own thread(stars at top).
573. No inheritance in forums selected via "Filter by forum" in New Content.
584. Set the amount of posts to be displayed per page. Display user signature only once per page.
604. Ignore signature popup is clipped.
570. Missing badge display in posts for supporters. Currently badges are only displayed in the Profile page.
569. Tapatalk functionality / compatibility
581. Mark threads/indication if BI staff have replied.
580. Custom Syntax highlighting of code.
912. Threads with polls light up as unread every time a vote is made.
679. Missing the Community groups from the old forums.
913. Missing bottom panel showing server time, etc.
914. Missing ability to set format of time and date. To 24h, american date formatting, etc.
586. Themes dark / light color UI theme choices
920. Improvements to the mobile version. Navigation of very large threads.

926. post shortcut link not working correctly when add link to a post content(posts in large thread) Have grab page URL + add ?=p(postid) to url manually

927. Import subscriptions users had from old forums
928. Option to create folders for different subscriptions
2053. Notification when someone directly quotes your post

Issue/suggestions not repeated or under investigation to gather proper requirements:

• Links to latest posts are malformed for not logged in users. They lack the ?view=getnewpost parameter. Only the link to the date (such as: Yesterday, 14:50) has that parameter. (- might be related to 926.)

Fixed issues/suggestions:

• lowercase username issue. If your username has become all lowercase, you can resolve this by changing your username at account.bistudio.com
  1. after you login, go to account.bistudio.com
  2. change your username in the top left corner
  3. save changes in the bottom right corner
  4. click on logout
  5. go to forums.bistudio.com and logout(again)

After those steps, after you login again, your username should now have the proper case that you saved it as.

• Missing button to easily insert videos in posts. There are a couple of ways you can embed videos.

1. Use the blue/green icon between the eraser icon and the "Font" dropdown, to insert media.

Select Media and insert the video URL.

The following video sites are currently supported:YouTube, MySpace Video, GameTrailers, YouTu.be, Vimeo, Dailymotion

2. use these tags to directly write in the embedded media in your post:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<ID of your video>[/media]

or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<ID of your video>

• Member title editable. Now functions as the rank based on # of posts like previous forums.
  • Group name and member titles dupe display issue.
  • Right-clicking an image displays the picture instead of showing the browser's context menu.
  • Profile: Social links can now be edited by user.
  • Upload of image file for avatar, basic function, limited size and format issues.
  • Missing sub-forums for editing OFP.
  • Users can edit their own ban reason.
  • Legacy url links to forums.
  • Internal server error issue on logins.
  • Page resets to front page in middle of reading posts.
  • The private message limit was way too low, now increased.
  • Width of threads/post and content too narrow, now for x1920 displays.
  • Quotes within post same color as post, not noticeable, now in higher contrast.
  • Font color too light, Font size too small, not enough contrast for reading.
  • Like this on own post.
  • Email notification not properly configured.
  • Private message save draft issue, was high concern when initial PM limit was so low, PM limit now increased.
  • Missing ability to easily create nested lists. To nest a list press the "Increase Indent" button.
  • Inconsistency in the number of the displayed page when browsing through page numbers.
  • It's too easy to get "trapped" inside a quote when editing one.
  • Share page on social media, incorrect meta data and thubnail image.
  • Subscribe to thread functionality.
  • Video player rendering in user signatures.
  • Display of 0 warnings on user profile/avatar.
  • Report a post needs more distinction.
  • Better separation of posts
  • Archive PM conversation link broken, now sends email.
  • Author of thread indication within thread on his/her posts.
  • Profile: social links with proper link(e.g. Twitter username link, not just plain text).
  • Profile: edit social links section clean up, removal of dead services, clean up edit page UI.
  • Signature size limit match previous forums
  • Multiquote limit at 10 quotes, can select more but then get error message, increase limit or display error on 11th quote add.
  • Like button location and discussion on having or not having this functionality.(closed)
  • When writing post, in edit field, font styles and link format bleed into the blank space after the word or line break. As in: underscore strikethrough link etc.(closed)
  • Too much vertical space used at the top of the page.
  • Set the amount of posts to be displayed per page. Display user signature only once per page.(closed)
  • There's a hard limit of 10 maximum images per post. This limit seems a bit too strict.
  • Dailymotion videos
  • Post # and share link icon next to post date and time(ideally on right)
  • Quote or multiquote buttons after "Reply with more options" or "Full editor", while writing post.
  • Login issues with Adblock, Adblock Plus, uBlock must be disabled.
  • Horizontal scroll bar in post from < Code > content in post
  • Removed old no longer used secondary Location field from your user profile.
  • Removed display of own warning points for user.(only moderators can see)
  • Member since display on post bio. Only shows up on the profile card when you hover over username.
  • Emoticons / smileys too limited compared to the previous version. :cheers:

Best regards,
BohemiaBeck

Edited by BohemiaBeck
old emoticons back in
  • Like 3

- Import of the subscriptions users had in the 'old' forum (or a final message, that there will be no import, so that users who are still waiting can start to resubscribe)

- Option to create folders/categories to save subscriptions of different topics (e.g. "Arma2 Mods","Arma 3 Editing","Take On Helicopters")

I have the username auss now, it was as of yesterday Aussie, when I attempt to change it back to Aussie as described above it says username already in use.

Glad to see the update, BohemiaBeck. ;)

Everything seems to be working down at my end now, thumbs up. :D

we sure there is more issues than listed, especially considering I forgot more about what I did to improve old forums than anyone else remembers ;)

so we thankful for all the constructive feedback, also we will be looking sooner or later on the old forums to ensure no good features are lost

Was about to report lower case usernames and issue 757 but I see you have already both issues on your radar. ;)

- Import of the subscriptions users had in the 'old' forum (or a final message, that there will be no import, so that users who are still waiting can start to resubscribe)

- Option to create folders/categories to save subscriptions of different topics (e.g. "Arma2 Mods","Arma 3 Editing","Take On Helicopters")

Added:

927. Import subscriptions users had from old forums
928. Option to create folders for different subscriptions

I have the username auss now, it was as of yesterday Aussie, when I attempt to change it back to Aussie as described above it says username already in use.

Sending PM.

• Like 1

• Post # and share link icon missing after "Reply with more options" or "Full editor". Most likely due to it now being in the user bio area ( which is not shown there ) and would most likely be fixed when this is moved back into the post body.
  • Icon showing posts you have replied to, although threads have a star icon if subscribed to, it is faint/nearly unnoticable if there has not been a reply to the thread. Previously it was easy to see what threads you were involved in as they all had a little green arrow next to them, whether there were new replies or not.
  • Code blocks need some sort of max-height applying to the prettyPrint CSS. Something generous so you can see a good amount of the code ( 600-700px ) but small enough so those of us that use the editing forums are not having to scroll through pages of code blocks or hiding our code in spoilers.
Otherwise i think you have caught most of the other problems i have with the new forums.

As for the discussion on the LIKE button, I do not mind it, I suppose it shows some correlation between post count and helpful replies/provided user content. At least to me it shows that my code examples where appreciated without the need of an actual reply.

The ability to add table html to signatures has been removed, I'm pretty sure.  Could that functionality be added back?  Tables are a good way to make clean-looking, well-organized signatures.

Just a question about new forum and login process.

From the update, I have a login error with Tapatalk. I know you're not Tapatalk developer, but do you know if it's a known problem due to the update or it's surely a Tapatalk problem I should solve in his Support forum?

Anyone else had this login problem?

Thanks in advance.

The pagination of "view new content" is still acting weird. I reported this before but as far as I can see it is not in the list of issues while it is actually a big issue as you never know if the pagination shows more than needed pages or new content is simply not accesible.

To reproduce:

- make a new account, wait a day and view all new content. Try to access all listed pages.

The ability to add table html to signatures has been removed, I'm pretty sure.  Could that functionality be added back?  Tables are a good way to make clean-looking, well-organized signatures.

Using tables for markup is a bad idea. Ever.  For example if you open the forums on your phone, there is no way for the browser to break down the table to make it fit.

That being said, It would be a good idea to hide signatures on mobile (small screens) all together. Try it for this thread, the required amount of scrolling is horrible. A simple css rule should be enough.

Any plans to notify people that their post / a part of it was quoted in the forums? Would make for some continuous discussions, thus, making them easier to follow.

Any plans to notify people that their post / a part of it was quoted in the forums? Would make for some continuous discussions, thus, making them easier to follow.

I found a setting that should notify is someone quotes me. It would be nice to have that on by default.

Dear community,

In approximately 3 and 1/2 hours the forums will go offline for maintenance for 1 hour.

15:00 CEST(Central European Summer Time) - 1pm (GMT) until 16:00 (CEST) - 2pm (GMT)

It is planned that during this maintenance the top navigation and login button will be updated. The vertical space at the top of the page will be decreased.

Best regards,
BohemiaBeck

Who stole the dancing banana man (and all the other wonderful smileys) ?
Please fix  ;)

beans_04.png

Forums are looking very good thumbsup.gif

Who stole the dancing banana man (and all the other wonderful smileys) ?

Please fix  ;)

beans_04.png

Forums are looking very good thumbsup.gif

568. Emoticons / smileys too limited compared to the previous version.

It is planned to be addressed. Thank you for the feedback.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

The pagination of "view new content" is still acting weird. I reported this before but as far as I can see it is not in the list of issues while it is actually a big issue as you never know if the pagination shows more than needed pages or new content is simply not accesible.

To reproduce:

- make a new account, wait a day and view all new content. Try to access all listed pages.

Hello Foxhound, when I tested this, "view new content" it worked as I expected. Perhaps I need to test it from a different perspective. Also, when you say "new content is simply not accessible"... not sure how to reproduce this. Perhaps you could give me some more details and we can discuss in PM?

This should be in the notifications to users if it is not already, so it will be added to the list and it will be planned to be there.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

The new BI top navigation header hides the search field in the BIKI, by the way.

Or is this a fix for the lousy search function? ;)

The new BI top navigation header hides the search field in the BIKI, by the way.

I can see the search box its just above the promotion box, what browser are you using? 

Yep, same for me. It's ok on my tablet, but not on a widescreen.

I can see the search box its just above the promotion box, what browser are you using? 

You are both right.

The search box does not appear on the front page: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki

It does appear on if click on Recent Changes or All Categories, but again is removed if you do a search.

This issue has been logged.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

You are both right.

The search box does not appear on the front page: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki

It does appear on if click on Recent Changes or All Categories, but again is removed if you do a search.

This issue has been logged.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

Search functionality /  search box showing up, should now be resolved for wiki pages.

Best regards,

BohemiaBeck

Hey BohemiaBeck,

can you please change my name into "Grumpy Old Man" instead of "grumpy old man"?

Has been changed with the forum migration.

And is there a way to remove the warning point since it's almost 3 years old?

Cheers!