Sign in to follow this  
BillyAngstadt

New to game modeling, I have a few Arma specific questions too.

1. Do I have to connect all verts to triangles before I send them into game? Or can I leave it in quads.

2. Assuming it needs to be triangles, whats the max triangle count for props in game? I'm talking about things like tables, chairs, couches, etc. I want to push the limit because the item I have now is 97 tri's with the normal map and looks janky.

Thank you.

1. You can leave it in quads from ObjectBuilder but the game renders in triangles anyway so there's no real benefit to leaving your model in quads other than it makes it easier to follow the topology when you're looking at the wireframe.

If you're modelling in another program and baking your normal map from a high-poly though, you will want to convert your mesh to tris before you export it. This is to ensure that ObjectBuilder doesn't triangulate the quads in the wrong direction when it renders the face, compared to the way the software you baked in rendered it, and mess up the way the normals are averaged.

2.There isn't a max triangle count per-se, but there is a maximum number of vertex normals: ~ 32,000. On a completely smooth shaded model (with no UV splits?) this equates to 32,000 verts, but every vetex along a hard edge has two vertex normals so the actual vertex/poly count that takes you to the 32,000 limit depends on the way the model is built. Most models I've seen tend to hit the vertex limit somewhere after 20,000 faces.

It's possible that your normal map looks janky because the green channel needs inverting.

• Like 1

Awesome info, Monkey!

Really helpful. 

I was just asking what an estimate would be for a piece of furniture or a Television or something like that. I know there's not a limit either way,  I just don't want my model to crash frames when someone walks into the house because it's over faced.

I probably wouldn't go above 1k Tri's on a piece of furniture, in all honesty it is small and kinda irrelevant in Arma, hence making it as low poly as possible.

For example, a helmet would be about 2k Tri.

I probably wouldn't go above 1k Tri's on a piece of furniture, in all honesty it is small and kinda irrelevant in Arma, hence making it as low poly as possible.

Thats really good to know, my current table is 97 tri's, so I can add alot more geometry.

It is in direct relation to the way you see it. The helmet will always be closest to the camera in 3rd persona view. The TV set won't :P

Thats really good to know, my current table is 97 tri's, so I can add alot more geometry.

When thinking about poly count, you need to also take into account the number of times this will be present. Say you doing a helmet (because Raid used it as an example, i'll stick to it). That will most likely be used in a mission several times, for a number of AI and playable units. Not sure how many times you wanna use that TV on a map or a mission. Always take into account the occurrence of an mesh in most common situations  

I just don't want my model to crash frames when someone walks into the house because it's over faced.

The model is present earlier then when somebody walks into the house. That's why vanilla buildings dont have any furniture. A single table with 200 tris doesnt make a difference. A building with full furniture however does, because it all piles up to multiple thousand tris. That's one building. There are many buildings in a village/city.

In addition, every unique object creates at least one section by textures -> additional drawcalls -> more forced cpu-to-gpu communication required

You will only be able to see the difference once you are finished furnituring a city. If you then notice that it draws too much performance, you are basically boned, as you would have to basically start again, reduce every object and the object count in total.

It is in direct relation to the way you see it. The helmet will always be closest to the camera in 3rd persona view. The TV set won't :P

When thinking about poly count, you need to also take into account the number of times this will be present. Say you doing a helmet (because Raid used it as an example, i'll stick to it). That will most likely be used in a mission several times, for a number of AI and playable units. Not sure how many times you wanna use that TV on a map or a mission. Always take into account the occurrence of an mesh in most common situations  

I love how you always one up me. :P However I always love to read what you have to say.