Sign in to follow this  
jananton

How to build an airlock that works?

So, it's been some months since I played this game the last time and first let me start to say I like the many new items and ways to refine resource materials to get things working in the manned part of the beta version. There's obviously some stuff that can be used at a later stage, but the mechanics seem to become more and more in place. Nice work.

One thing has me puzzled though, and that's how one is supposed to construct an airlock.

I do understand one needs the special airlock doors, seals and corridor parts, but in what way I try to put them together I only can get to two situations, both not what one needs. Either the airlock, between the two doors, becomes pressurized with both doors closed, but opening any door, also the one to the closed indoors, results in loss of breathable air, or the airlock stays unpressurized with both doors closed and only after going inside and closing the inside door there's pressure in the habitat, making the suit rack in the airlock useless. <g>

So, what's the trick here, or is there a tutorial maybe on how this is done?

Greets,

Jan

Really, 165 views and nobody has any suggestions?

In that case this is probably a bug and should be addressed. It really ruins gameplay for me.

The strange thing is that in the Victoria crater scenario there is a greenhouse provided were it all works as expected.

When I try to replicate this working example in the Lunar scenario I get the results as described in the first post.

Can someone confirm that the Lunar scenario is broken at least because this really starts to put me off the game to be honest.

Greets,

Jan

I've noticed it can be kind of off at times. How I do it is normally 2 or 3 airlock pieces long. Placing the suit holder next to the habitat door. Making sure both doors are airlock doors. Rotate the place the doors so that the outside door opens outwards. And the habitat door opens inwards into the habitat. You should get the green icon on the bottom left of the hood telling you it's safe to get out of your suit before you use the suit holder.

Don't read too much into the thread view count. It's not all member or 'human' guest views ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Slatts for responding.

The way you describe how to build an Airlock is exactly how I did do it too. The two doors need to open to the outside of the airlock space, what is in fact as you describe. At first I used two airlock doors and for some reason the airlock was safe with both doors closed, but wasn't when either the door to the habitat or to the outside was opened. This happened all in the Lunar scenario.

Thinking this could be a bug in the scenario itself I started up the Victoria crater scenario, number three in the list of scenario's, were to my surprise was a small greenhouse habitat all build up and functional. The working airlock here though has a normal door from the habitat to the airlock and an airlock door to the outside. The indicator lights on both doors work correct too and when the door to the habitat is opened with the outer airlock door closed there's air in the lock and the habitat as should be.

I obviously tried this too in the Lunar scenario, but to no avail. I even checked if it was possible to open the build in scenario's with the Editor to see if I could find a different setting between the two since it could be they're from different versions or builds of the game. Sadly that doesn't seem possible or I am missing something. In any case I gave up for now.

I hope however Dram is aware of these problems since not working airlocks in any manned scenario is a real show stopper.

Greets,

Jan

Could you upload a picture of a generic airlock you build?

• Like 1

I have the same problem the building pressurises but not the airlock. Both doors open outwards  relative to the airlock and there are no leaks. Airlock door outer normal door inner. Working on screenshots but it's night. Clearly the bed mat in the little dome does not speed up time. We need an off door pressurization button like the airlock in the little dome. Perhaps above the suit inventory on the ceiling giving a fault analysis. Can the doors be back to front?  Pictures in the following post. 

OK got the picture upon my block, with a few comments for my friends. This is gustave crater. That should not matter. 

Here are the pictures. outsidemars_door_frame.jpg

Door and frame. Suit section and glass section. No leaks. 

Sealed_cycled_not_safe.jpg

Inside both doors closed, cycle button tweeps but no pressure change. mp on this side in the lock. Kp on the others side. can't refill the suit. I do have the little dome tent to survive in. 

safe_but_unpessurised_airlock.jpg

inside the hab. I have air but loose it if I open the door to use the suit inventory. Died twice. lol. kp this side. mp in the lock with both doors closed. Airlock wall with an airlock door. I have tried to use the other door. It's no different. 

Otherwise good game. I am a successful martian potato farmer. Will do a playthrough soon. 

ps why is one pick bigger than the others????? 

http://appliedimpossibilies.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/take-on-mars-fun-and-games.html

Well, posing this question during the forum update did stop me answering earlier. ;-)

@Slatts and @Wesleybruce:

In the mean time I did found out wat I was doing wrong. The error I made was the fact that I did put airlock seal parts on both ends of the airlock. I understood that from a video I found on Steam, don't ask me wich one, I cannot seem to find it anymore<g>.

The right order to create an airlock from the inside working to the outside is: Door, Door portal (the one with the bend at the bottom side), airlock tube parts (minimal two rings), airlock seal, airlock door. The doors need to open to the outside of the airlock and the airlock tube can be 2 or 3 rings long and may include a suit holder next to the inner door. Although there is a scenario that has it, a tube of only 1 ring doesn't seem to work when you create it yourself.

Hope this helps. ;-)

Greets,

Jan

I found that airlocks in general are wonky. There is one scenario (Kaiser crater) in which there is a dangerous area inside the habitat, from about two meters from airlock door to halfway through the airlock corridor. No matter what, it has no air. I've often built airlocks in which you could go from "danger" to "safe" without passing through doors. The danger area also can extend into habitat in some cases.

I found that airlocks in general are wonky. There is one scenario (Kaiser crater) in which there is a dangerous area inside the habitat, from about two meters from airlock door to halfway through the airlock corridor. No matter what, it has no air. I've often built airlocks in which you could go from "danger" to "safe" without passing through doors. The danger area also can extend into habitat in some cases.

I found this issue in the Kaiser01 (I think is what it's called) scenario.  There is a place inside the hab by one of the airlocks that kills you and neither of the airlocks seem to work (they never pressurize).

I have had this issue as well and driving me nuts, didnt know about door direction so could have been my issue.

As for the premade buildings in scenarios, I have found on occasion leaks showing that needed to dissemble and re-assemble to fix. I am not sure why this occurs tho.but the hand tool has been good for spotting leaks just couldnt figure out how to to fix the door issue. The arrows on these items are confusing most times and never can tell unless I get assemble if a piece is facing correctly