Sign in to follow this  
zork

Disable futuristic weapons, vehicles

Although, speaking of the 2010s, I wonder if the Armaverse (whose last pre-Arma 3 look-at was in Take On Helicopters) had its own mid-2010s "Pacific pivot" accompanying or following the events of Private Military Company, or whether the Chinese rise and corresponding US response were different enough that one didn't occur until the mid-2030s, or whether the one spoken of in Arma 3 is actually the latest "Pacific pivot"?

I would imagine that the pivot didn't happen in the Armaverse until now (2030s) due to the fact that the U.S. was busy handling two theatres at once in Takistan and Afghanistan (and if incorporated into the timeline, the mess in Iraq and Syria as well). It probably didn't help that the U.S. most likely went through a string of lackluster Jimmy Carter-esque administrations that were too concerned with the Middle East/Europe and consequently failed to deal with, or rather ignored, the region's issues.

So that basically gave free reign for the Armaverse China to build up its power projection capability and influence in the region to the point where it could challenge the U.S. directly like the the Soviet Union did, hence the mentioning of "proxy wars" being fought between the two (with Tanoa most likely becoming the latest flashpoint).

I would imagine that the pivot didn't happen in the Armaverse until now (2030s) due to the fact that the U.S. was busy handling two theatres at once in Takistan and Afghanistan (and if incorporated into the timeline, the mess in Iraq and Syria as well). It probably didn't help that the U.S. most likely went through a string of lackluster Jimmy Carter-esque administrations that were too concerned with the Middle East/Europe and consequently failed to deal with, or rather ignored, the region's issues.

So that basically gave free reign for the Armaverse China to build up its power projection capability and influence in the region to the point where it could challenge the U.S. directly like the the Soviet Union did, hence the mentioning of "proxy wars" being fought between the two (with Tanoa most likely becoming the latest flashpoint).

Well actually, there is a South East Asia map for TOH, not really sure if that has anything to do with it. But in any case, we won't know the situation of Tanoa until BIS sets the stage. Tanoa is a Rich country, with relations to both east and west. It's located in the South Pacific, but the only thing we don't know is if Tanoa has a defense force itself, or if the events there will take place before, during, or after the invasion of the Republic of Altis and Stratis. If it's before, things will be calm. If it's during, things will present a little more tension, and if it's after the Invasion, this means NATO and CSAT are already in full out conflict. The only thing that's means is that either both coalitions will be either racing to obtain defense of a rich South Pacific country, or already fighting.

Having now taken a closer look at the coastline facilities, it appears that Tanoa would at least be skilled in making Boats. A lot of the facilities resemble French Naval yard buildings for developing Frigates and other ships, could be British as well. Who knows.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

On the contrary, it doesn't take "Jimmy Carter-esque" administrations* and/or an "excess focus with the Middle East/Europe" for the Armaverse!PRC and then CSAT to reach a strategic position resulting in a US military pivot -- indeed, all the word implies is that a shift is occurring now, but not how long the focus had been elsewhere or at what pace the PRC/CSAT position had grown in the twenty-odd years between Private Military Company/Take On Helicopters and Bootcamp/The East Wind. Indeed, part of the premise behind The Hundred-Year Marathon is that PRC aggression had escalated due to a perception that a tipping point had arrived ahead of schedule... therefore, to some degree I interpret Private Military Company/Take On Helicopters' not mentioning a similar assertiveness around the same time as in our timeline to mean that either PRC leadership didn't perceive a tipping point at that time or that trend was for ongoing (if not as sharp as in our timeline) Western turmoil throughout the period between the games that correspondingly affected the pace of PRC/CSAT build-up.

* An insult to Jimmy Carter... how much of those years were just him having a bad hand that may well not have been better played by anyone else in his position? Because if you're thinking of Eagle Claw... Charlie Beckwith absolved him of that.

Hi,

I am currently using only RHS for weapons and vehicles. Is it possible to disable all core Arma 3 weapons and vehicles so that I dont see them in the editor?

NO

/Thread closed

NO

/Thread closed

You didn't read the second post in this thread, did you?

Well technically not a lot in the game is futuristic. I mean caseless weapons are from i believe the 70's (abandoned because of multiple issues) and the vehicles aren't anything different from what we have now. It's best to call them different since futuristic is the wrong term. Granted the titan launchers sure only because I feel like each missile is cheaper then a brand new a Ferrari, do to how many there are.

Anyways just wanted to throw that out there since it seems the thread already got an answer.

Would be a nice option to block out all of the future and completely random vehicles from arma 3 so it does not clog the mod vehicles.

Nato merkavas, Iranian negevs......

I think an in-game filter that allows you to choose what mods / DLC / vanilla content you can see in the editor and in Zeus would be the best solution.

Basically a little icon in Zeus that shows a pop-up menu with a check-box list.

I think an in-game filter that allows you to choose what mods / DLC / vanilla content you can see in the editor and in Zeus would be the best solution.

Basically a little icon in Zeus that shows a pop-up menu with a check-box list.

Zeus has a degree of control over what addons are available, but there's none that excludes only vanilla content. As for the Editor, scope = public; puts paid to the idea.

You're assuming that the Afghanistan invasion happened at all in the Armaverse. It may not have.

You're assuming that the Afghanistan invasion happened at all in the Armaverse. It may not have.

It's apart of the timeline actually, alongside the Iraq War. Add Sahrani into the mix and it means the U.S. was engaged in three wars prior to OA in 2012.

It's apart of the timeline actually, alongside the Iraq War. Add Sahrani into the mix and it means the U.S. was engaged in three wars prior to OA in 2012.
Throw in Operation Harvest Red and the Libyan Civil War of 2011 and we're looking at five post-9/11 wars that the Armaverse US military participated in before OA! Forget "a string of lackluster Jimmy Carter-esque administrations", the sheer strain and (perceived) war fatigue would have been enough to make any post-OA administration less than eager to "leap into the Pacific."

As for the move away from 5.56 mm, the two main possibilities are that either the Armaverse US military finally "went it alone" on service rifle caliber or NATO as a whole "upcaliber'd" to 6.5 mm, while the MX series is smackdab in the same vein as the M8... suggesting that no, Bohemia didn't care how much this forum may have hated that weapon family. :p Interestingly enough, the up-calibering isn't completely out of the blue, as Salvatore Fanelli's interview with Small Arms Defense Journal (Web article dated 30 January 2015) about the USMC's 5.56 mm MK 318 ammunition revealed that "[t]here was a pending requirement for a new intermediate caliber. If we could improve the consistency of the terminal effects of our current 5.56mm round and use it as a temporary solution, it would bridge the gap until we could get the requirement going for an intermediate caliber. The intermediate caliber requirement remains in the discussion phase." To me this reinforces the possibility that in the period preceding The East Wind the US Army found room, time, and presumably Congressional votes with which to move to 6.5 mm and to the MX family, though we have no sign of how recent that move was. (Don't laugh too hard re: the MX SW using a casket mag instead of a drum or C-MAG double drum, even if the in-game one might be too small visually, because there's a a real-life 100-round casket mag in 5.56 mm.)

In order for there not to have been multiple flare-ups or "pivots" to the Pacific -- though the latter would suggest that US foreign policy shifted focus multiple times in the two decades between PMC/TKOH and A3 -- I'm guesstimating that the PRC buildup went... I don't know if I'd say slower than in our timeline, considering the extent of buildup of power projection capability already going on in our timeline since the "fifth generation" came to power in late 2012 -- right before the big Arma 3 reboot -- but if The East Wind was hinting at the first pivot/confrontation... damn, it's still pretty murky what pace PLA-and-then-CSAT Pacific expansion took place at after PMC/TKOH.