Sign in to follow this  
mistyronin

California is now the second state in which Hispanics outnumber whites

Interesting piece of news.

(Washington Post) California is now the second state in which Hispanics outnumber whites

New annual estimates released by the Census Bureau last month confirm that a long-expected California milestone has arrived: There are now officially more Hispanic residents of the state than white ones.

As we've noted before, the long-term national trend is for the population to become less white and more Hispanic. (And older and less religious.) California is at the front end of that demographic shift. Demographers in the state expect California to be nearly half Hispanic by 2060, according to the Los Angeles Times.

But California is not the first state to hit this milestone. Hispanics in New Mexico outnumbered whites as early as 2003.

The next state in which the shift will take place is likely Texas. Whites should be outnumbered by Hispanics in that state by the end of this decade.

Map.png

Well, techically the Hispanics were there before the americans, and even before that the indians so..... The US is simply a country with no clear ethnic history and it never will be.

Just wait another 200 years and all US-americans will have the same color and mixed decendence anyway. This will finally put an end to racism.

Im wondering anyway how in a nation that has a population decending to 98% from immigrants can have a issue with race affiliation anyway.

Only 2% of the US-citizens are actually north american natives.

Edited by Beagle

Only 2% of the US-citizens are actually north american natives.

Probably because they literally got wiped out.

I just joined this bulletin board to ask a technical question about Flashpoint, and noticed I apparently need more posts to even edit my own profile to give my location (California), and sort of wandered in to here. Anyway...

The point Tonci87 made that "Well, techically the Hispanics were there before the americans, and even before that the indians so..... The US is simply a country with no clear ethnic history and it never will be" is not correct. Literally 99%+ of Hispanics/Latinos today came to California long after it because a part of the United States. California and America had a clearly English-derived culture (the language spoken, obviously) which others from Europe seamlessly integrated into after a generation or two. Today, there is more integration than 25 years ago, but most people prefer to self-segregate, even after a few generations, even within a university environment.

clearly English-derived culture

Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara. Yeah, all of that sounds very english... :j:

In fact the nowadays US state of California used to be a Spanish Empire property (part of the Vice-royalty of New Spain) and later of the Independent Mexico. Spanish was the only language used officially.

It was in 1850 when the United States after about 4 years of little fights (part of the war US vs Mexico) took control and annexed the territory. And as surprising as it may seem to you, the proclamation of California as part of the US, was done both in Spanish and English.

So tho later English became the majority language, Spanish was always present in the documents. And it's now again the majority language.

We also have to remember that the United States has no official language.

Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara. Yeah, all of that sounds very english... :j:

The areas did belong to Mexico until it was conquered by the USA in the Mexican-American war, therefore the spanish names.

Well cause it's the United states of America and Mexico is in the continent of North America, we are all Americans. :)

Just like we all decended from a DNA line out of Africa which means by lineage we are all of African decent. :)

No seriously I'm a natural citizen and this whole immigration thing is crazy.

Let's get serious, yes we (USA) were founded on immigration all these years but we don't have the room, the money, nor the patience to change our ways for the new immigrants. Now if these people came here and made it the right way no problem, welcome to the us of a, however a majority of the complaints are not about these people they are about the illegal immigrants that flood here and utilize our tax payers money to make it without ever having to become a citizen and pay taxes.

That's the gist of everyone's argument and the rest of the world doesn't realize this they just see us picking on these illegal immigrants.

I've said my peace hope those that read it truly understand.

I wonder what a (truly) native American would think about that...

Well cause it's the United states of America and Mexico is in the continent of North America, we are all Americans. :)

Just like we all decended from a DNA line out of Africa which means by lineage we are all of African decent. :)

well, the eurasian subtype of human has up to 2% Neandertal genes... this genes are supposed to be the reason for pale skin and blond and red hair.

African are pure breed homo sapiens, they habe no trace of neanderthal genes.

I wonder what a (truly) native American would think about that...
well, the eurasian subtype of human has up to 2% Neandertal genes... this genes are supposed to be the reason for pale skin and blond and red hair.

African are pure breed homo sapiens, they habe no trace of neanderthal genes.

Love how the both of you pick on what was joking with smiley faces, and what I say let's get serious about you don't touch.

Can anyone see a bridge? I see a small bridge with very little room and they are both under fighting for more.

Oh BTW even if 1 to 4 percent of the DNA has neanderthal genes, well that still means 96 to 99 percent is exactly what I said. From African decent.

we are all African, like it or not we are all cousins, like it or not.

In fact the nowadays US state of California used to be a Spanish Empire property (part of the Vice-royalty of New Spain) and later of the Independent Mexico. Spanish was the only language used officially.

It was in 1850 when the United States after about 4 years of little fights (part of the war US vs Mexico) took control and annexed the territory. And as surprising as it may seem to you, the proclamation of California as part of the US, was done both in Spanish and English.

So tho later English became the majority language, Spanish was always present in the documents. And it's now again the majority language.

We also have to remember that the United States has no official language.

First of all, don't try to tell me what's surprising to me.  I grew up in California and have lived most of my life here.  If by "proclamation" you mean the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, the fact that a treaty between two countries speaking different languages, would be written in both languages, would surprise no one.

Second, English is the offical language of California.  See the California Constitution, Article III, Section 6 b: "English is the official language of the State of California." http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_3

Third, Spanish is not the majority lanuage, the article means it is the most numerous ethnicity (not language), but still not a majority. And Spanish is only used as a common language in some ethnic communities, and informal use in some particular professions, such as  communicating to agricultural field workers, gardeners, landscapers, housekeepers, by restaurant workers, etc.  More recently Spanish appears as a subtitle on English-language signs since there are so many recent immigrants who have not learned English.

Again, 99% of the immigrants today who speak Spanish or identify as Latino have no connection whatsoever to the Californios of 1848.  They are complete foreigners with a connection no stonger than the people of Spain.  These immigrants moved hundreds or thousands of miles north from where they and their ancestors had lived for a thousand or more years.  California was a sparsely populated backwater until the Gold Rush of 1848, and a massive influx of Americans and Anglo-Saxon culture relegated the old Hispanic culture to insignificance, and built it into the rich state that now draws so many immigrants.

@Seldom_Seen_Slim And your point is?  :blink: 

- Do the United States of America have an official language?

- What was the main language of the Spanish Empire and later of the independent Mexico?

- What language do Hispanics speak?

Read again my last post please, the one you answered. And tell me which fact in it is wrong. 

@Seldom_Seen_Slim And your point is?  :blink: 

- Do the United States of America have an official language?

- What was the main language of the Spanish Empire and later of the independent Mexico?

- What language do Hispanics speak?

Read again my last post please, the one you answered. And tell me which fact in it is wrong. 

- The U.S.'s official language is English de facto, as there is no federal legal code in any other language (other than Latin legal phrases).  There is no need to declare a de jure offical language when 100% of the legal code is in English.  It is pedantic to even raise the issue, and not really relevant to the discussion, as we are talking about California specifically, where English was declared the de jure offical language over a hundred years after it was de facto official.

- Spanish, obviously

- Hispanics don't speak any one language, all it means in terms of these surveys is their ancestors at one point came from a Spanish speaking country.  Someone's grandparents could have been born in Japan, then the parents born in Peru, and then the individual born in the U.S., and they could reasonably mark "Hispanic" without knowing a word of Spanish.  Roughly half of the Hispanics who grew up in California can not speak the language, so a large portion of those marking "Hispanic" on surveys don't speak Spanish.

I already told you which of your points were wrong in my last post.

In earlier posts you and others seemed to be implying that the Spanish language/Hispanic culture is simply regaining it's former status.  But that is not what is happening.  That old Hispanic culture entirely disappeared over a hundred years ago, and has no relevance today other than a few historic artifacts.  The Hispanic people immigrating now are a completely different culture from the established culture of California.

- The U.S.'s official language is English de facto

Ok. Then we can conclude that the United States of America have (no legal) official language, which is what I said.

- Hispanics don't speak any one language, all it means in terms of these surveys is their ancestors at one point came from a Spanish speaking country.

If you don't see the link between Spanish language and Hispanic people, which are characterized from being of Spanish culture (most importantly Spanish language). Then I'm lost.

In earlier posts you and others seemed to be implying that the Spanish language/Hispanic culture is simply regaining it's former status.

Don't try to look for secondary or tertiary interpretations.

What we said was that the Hispanic culture was prevalent before the U.S conquered and annexed California. Now the statistics show that is the prevalent once again. All Hispanic culture has the same origin: the Spanish Empire and its former colonies. It's simple.

The only people that are natives from America are the indigenous. All the rest are, no matter if they are whites, white-Hispanics, Asiatic, Afro-american, etc. are from immigrant origin.

Ok. Then we can conclude that the United States of America have (no legal) official language, which is what I said.

If you don't see the link between Spanish language and Hispanic people, which are characterized from being of Spanish culture (most importantly Spanish language). Then I'm lost.

Don't try to look for secondary or tertiary interpretations.

What we said was that the Hispanic culture was prevalent before the U.S conquered and annexed California. Now the statistics show that is the prevalent once again. All Hispanic culture has the same origin: the Spanish Empire and its former colonies. It's simple.

The only people that are natives from America are the indigenous. All the rest are, no matter if they are whites, white-Hispanics, Asiatic, Afro-american, etc. are from immigrant origin.

The Hispanic culture was never "prevalent" in California.  It was a sparsely populated wilderness, with a few settlements along or near the coast.  I doubt Hispanics back then even layed eyes on more than 20% of it, and maps were often wildly incorrect.  The fact that a Mexican governor isolated in a small town had an innacurate map in his bookshelf, with present-day California within its boundaries, mostly consisting of wild land no Hispanic person had ever seen, does not make it Hispanic.  Mexico was so desperate to colonize the interior that they gave away huge tracts of land to any European who could settle it, and a large percentage of "Mexican" citizens were actually Americans, or non-Hispanic Europeans.  Much, maybe most, of the population was non-Hispanic natives.

So the connection between the Hispanics in California today, and the Hispanics in isolated settlements 170 years ago, is non-existant.  It is like saying Italians have some connection with England because both were part of the Roman Empire.  In California today, people from Spain mix musch more readily with English-speaking Americans than Hispanics.  People from Spain, and the Hispanics in California, act like they don't even speak the same language.

And again, 100% of official business of all kinds conducted in California is English, so I don't know why you continue to bring up that point.