Sign in to follow this  
froggyluv

Challenges of Jungle/Marine Warfare in Tanoa

Note that were you able to collapse/destroy trees/foliage then the capability gap would narrow, and indeed that's part of what you'd try to do with tanks IRL (make that open space with HE)... alternately, think past the current "main battle tank" concept to the earlier "infantry support tank" role -- as assault guns and light tanks can do -- although a modern trend has been to use wheeled armor for that purpose.

The battle of Long Tan that you linked was not fought in a small jungly archipelago. 

BTW I wouldn't really call conventional warfare the three hours long battle of a 108 dispersed soldiers fighting using hit and run attacks (aka guerrilla warfare) versus a couple thousands Nothern Vietnamese soldiers. 

In real life you can use weapon systems like Napalm to clear dense vegetation, but it would take a lot of tolls, its not particularly efficient and it would not give you any important strategic advantage. And it would have a terrible impact in the Civilian support both in the country at war and in the "home front". It was certainly proved in Vietnam or more recently in Bougainville. 

#1: No telling how much "China" was involved as opposed to a random fanboy with CGI skills.

Having in mind that it was done by one of the main Chinese medias... 

#2: Soooo... basically achieving superiority, clearing the beach, then committing an amphibious landing? Not that far from what other maritime powers would try to do.

I think that the point of the video was not to show tactics but technology.

Given the history of war, and what tactics are based off of, i think it's safe to say China is more than capable of matching other nations in tactics with the same success rate. The PLA would know that since everyone else is using Chinese tactic after all, the Legendary Sun Tzu... We are technically using their moves all along. If anyone is going to be a sure challenge in their own backyard, Jungle, Archipelago, it's 100% going to be the PLA. Despite their tech gaps, i can't see a reason why the PLA wouldn't be able to handle the challenges of Jungle and Marine Warfare. They can already build their own islands from scratch. They live in the jungle, i'd say it's a fair fight... Not really, now that you think about it, the PLA should have the upper hand.

Melee? Bayonet & buttstroke ..., or will we still need to reload while face to face with the enemy?

Jungle will draw us into melee, and arma needs this option --long overdue.

Melee. The last few yards to go for Arma.

Melee? Bayonet & buttstroke ..., or will we still need to reload while face to face with the enemy?

There's two mods that do melee Decently, i guess you can say. Breaking Point has Stabbing, Butt-stock smacking, Bayonet's, and hell, even a Katana. The next mod is MOCAP, which should be self explanatory. It's a CQC Hand to Hand combat mod. The only problem with it though, is synced animations during multiplayer. Other than that, i mean... I can't see a reason not to have Hand to Hand combat really. It makes you feel like you can actually do things now if you end up without a gun, or if you need to take someone out without firing shots.

I say we need malaria and trench foot simulation. That or blowing out your shoulder from carrying an MMG through the mountains.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind some interesting fatigue control system. Given were going to be in Jungle environment, it's gonna be humid, hot, wet... I could name a few dangers before we even add in weapons.

The PLA would know that since everyone else is using Chinese tactic after all, the Legendary Sun Tzu... 

In fact, I think you are quite wrong. 

For one side Sun Tzu is more of a "philosopher" of war, and his thinking is more strategic. The tactics of the Sun Tzu times would be quite absurd nowadays.

But in any case, if you meant strategy you would be wrong again. Most military academies in the World follow Clausewitz "On War" principles. Which would be practically the opposite as Sun Tzu. 

Sun Tzu point is that the best way to win a war is to avoid it. While Clausewitz is the one that believes in Total War, according to him war is just a continuation of politics (Sun Tzu understands war as a defeat of the rational mind). 

Sun Tzu would never understand most of the modern wars (like Iraq, Libya, Syria, etc.).

• Like 1

In fact, I think you are quite wrong. 

For one side Sun Tzu is more of a "philosopher" of war, and his thinking is more strategic. The tactics of the Sun Tzu times would be quite absurd nowadays.

But in any case, if you meant strategy you would be wrong again. Most military academies in the World follow Clausewitz "On War" principles. Which would be practically the opposite as Sun Tzu. 

Sun Tzu point is that the best way to win a war is to avoid it. While Clausewitz is the one that believes in Total War, according to him war is just a continuation of politics (Sun Tzu understands war as a defeat of the rational mind). 

Sun Tzu would never understand most of the modern wars (like Iraq, Libya, Syria, etc.).

I would have to disagree, only in regards to Sun Tzu not understanding wars now, would actually understand them better than most. I would get more into detail, but that's a discussion for another topic. =D

Melee yes please.

This is somthing our mod Hell in the pacific Arma 3 really would like to have!!

We have both rifles with bayonets & Japanse Officer Katana Sword.

Even making stealth missions with knife take down would be nice deep in the Jungle.

Classic Bayonet banzai charge in jungle any one?

* Request, please. :)

Some one mentioned other melee mods or hand to hand combat? Anything that works in multiplayer?

PM me please with Information about melee for A3 that maby our Hell in the pacific mod could use.

About Tanao, I hope they have some caves, rivers, waterfalls, hidden logjungle bunkers?

Maby a Dr.Evil cave in the Vulcano?

Suprise us BIS please! 

• Like 1

^^^ http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27262

Its pretty cool mod that I use in  my mission in which Civilians may or may not draw pistols on Player depending on his actions. Since killing Civilians draw a mission penalty, this mod allows you to sometimes get them to jut drop their weapon after a few strikes. Also amazing animations for the grappling! Sadly, there are zero sounds which really kills the immersion :(

SENGOWLA_zpsy1skthrr.png?t=1441222264

I think he looks ready for Tanoa. =D

Taken from the 70'th National Chinese Parade, a massive display of personal and weaponry, including some of the latest and advanced toys in the PLA's Arsenal. 

hahaha I hope they add Russian weapons or some sort of guerilla warfare units to fit the theme of the map.

Speaking of units... I actually come to notice the lack of detail in BI's Faction uniforms. I hope for the Expansion they really put some serious love into the uniforms and gear. I got to try out MGSV at a friends place, and couldn't help but notice the detail put into the gear. Having a look at Arma 3's gear, it kinda just makes me cringe a bit. The AAF uniform is good, enough. The NATO and CSAT fatigues look sub par. The knee-pads on them are flat pixelated textures, and it honestly looks like crap. The clothing doesn't form to the pressure applied by stuff around the uniform. It simply doesn't look right. I really hope the new factions have detailed uniforms and gear aswell.

• Like 1

And as I told you, that's almost certainly due to the AAF uniforms being made last/most recently with the CSAT and NATO uniforms having been created earlier in Arma 3 development before things looked so damned good and not getting redone because of higher priorities.

Just an idea:

maybe BI may make a some small reference to all known movie "Predator" and creates camp in the jungle similar to this one from movie (or add object "car with conveyor")?

And as I told you, that's almost certainly due to the AAF uniforms being made last/most recently with the CSAT and NATO uniforms having been created earlier in Arma 3 development before things looked so damned good and not getting redone because of higher priorities.

Correct. I've yet to make a fully detailed tracker on the subject yet, gathering some information on uniforms, gear, stuff like that to compare it to current detail or rather... Lack thereof...