Sign in to follow this  
Lt_Damage

1.85 resistance patch discussion

We use TS from the very start of OFP. VON didnt work to well and the traffic load was to much. With external progs like like TS you can only benefit. It has unlimited (create one if you want) separate channels, that can be freely customized by the TS server admin. It also has password protection to avoid unwelcome guests. We tested nearly all of the available com - soft like Roger Wilco, Battlecom, and many others. TS is the solution for lag free gameplay. VON really slowed down online gaming very much. If we had no problems we would never have searched for alternatives. TS 2 is out now, but has some bugs. If you want to be on the safe side, want to get really good audio quality and need to have an eye on bandwidth consumption ( I have ISDN so bandwidth counts a lot with online gaming ) TS is the best available. I dont see the point on insisting on implementation of VON into Res. The VON in OFP is a bandwidth killer and stresses server additionally. Let anyone not running the OFP server host the TS server , protect it with a password and have a good time.

We have a field on our HP where the so called "Lucky number" is set. It displays the current IP of server hosting OFP and adress for TS server. So anyone can see the IP´s and connect if he knows the passwords. Passwords are clan internal or made public in "Lucky number" field if we want to make others join our game. Easy

The problem with external voice apps is that you cannot get OFP's channels in them (global, side, group, vehicle, direct speaking) which are essential.

I was hoping the patch would bring voice to the sockets code too, but I guess we(our squad) still need to stick with using directplay...

I was kinda hopeing that the Red Hammer bug with not being able to play like the 6 or 7th mission would be fixed? Didn't see it on list, guess I keep waiting :-(

Other than that WTG for the huge list of fixes and new stuff :-)

1st of all: the feature list I posted is not complete list of all features, it was released just to give you an idea what to expect. Full list will be released together with the patch.

2nd: We're not planning to release any further patches or new content to original OpFlash so please consider 1.46 to be more likely the last patch to the original game. We've been working more than 6 months to bring OpFlash 1.46 to OpFlash Resistance 1.75 1.75 (and now 1.85) so we believe it's absolutely fair to ask you to buy the expasion to stay on the cutting edge. Soon to be released OpFlash GOTY Edition will already contain all upgrades up to 1.85 in one box, easy to setup, for price of one game. It can be also a good option to consider.

Booky: Afaik Red Hammer is a CM production and not from BIS and that bug may be a bug in the MISSION and not in Resistance. I may be wrong though.

Balschoiw: I use stuff like RW, TS, BC, GV et al for maybe three years. They aren't half as good as the von in ofp was. I can talk to all the guys in my tank as tank commander and don't disturb any other group. I can tell important infos to the whole group or the whole side. NO OTHER voice comm can do that, except you create like 10.000 channels (tank13-channel, heli17-channel) and alt+tab to windws to change the channel (or bind maybe another 10000 channel switches) and even that wouldn't work because the guys in your team can't be in the all channel, side channel, group channel, vehicle channel and direct channel at the same time. VON can do that. It's the most important teamplay tools there is in ofp and i would sure be happy if it were back soon. But as i said before: Linux servers more than make up having to wait for von. I'm really happy how things have turned out so far...

benu you are right . VON within OFP is very comfortable to use, but you didnt get my point. It consumed to much bandwidth for little bandwidth users like me and others within our clan. We experienced heavy lag when we used it and so we decided to test external proggies. Shurely they cant be a real substitute to OFP ingame VON, but we had to make compromises.

We had to decide:

- play with VON OFP has onboard and have serious lag sometimes

- play with external software that doesnt eat that much bandwidth and can be customized to satisfy all needs.

You can setup all channels like in OFP and switch between them with a keystroke. Nothing different than in OFP itself.

Once the setup of the TS server is done according to OFP channels and you know the keys to switch it is not really different to OFP. It needs some time to have the keys in mind, but you get the keys very fast the more you play.

For sure this is a compromise but it works good for us.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Oct. 08 2002,14:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can setup all channels like in OFP and switch between them with a keystroke. Nothing different than in OFP itself.<span id='postcolor'>

How does the external application know which side you are in, which group you are in or which vehicle you are sitting in?

@Maruk:

Please check the topics on Multiplayer targetting via radio. This function is abused a lot in MP matches on ladders at the moment. I tried the enableradio false, that would work great, but the problem is, that only voice and onscreen message dissappear but not the yellow square that points out the target. I know I may sound insisting but this really ruins MP laddering. Guys shoot through fog, bushes and whatever and hit you on 300 only cause of that stupid yellow square. Can´t you fix this pls ? Or give us a command to remove the whole radio menu, or whatever. Likely you may say that we only neeed to ungroup the team, but this does not solve the problem. Furthermore waypoint and destinations should still be possible to be given via radio. So what I am looking for is a command to disable

a) radio targetting at all

b) the whole radio

c) to make the yellow square dissapear when enableradio is on false. (would be best)

This is a very urgent issue.

If you are not able to built this into the patch, than pls tell us how or if we can achieve it on our own.

@Kegetys

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How does the external application know which side you are in, which group you are in or which vehicle you are sitting in? <span id='postcolor'>

It certainly has it´s limits. But you can setup channels for both sides, vehicle channels for both sides and so on. Now if you enter a vehicle use sidechat typing for channel to use within vehicle. Shortcuts do work well here.

As I said before. It is a compromise. And I can live with it. Otherwise with VON we were sometimes not even able to play

without heavy lag. Compromises always include a bit suffering wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Oct. 08 2002,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a) radio targetting at all

b) the whole radio

c) to make the yellow square dissapear when enableradio is on false. (would be best)

This is a very urgent issue.

If you are not able to built this into the patch, than pls tell us how or if we can achieve it on our own.<span id='postcolor'>

We are definitelly not able to implement this in the upcoming patch, as it is already feature closed. I am afraid there is no workaround for this.

Perhaps if you raised this issue as "very urgent" a month ago, there would be good chance it could be fixed, but not in this development stage of the patch.

I did smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Group: Members

Posted: Sep. 07 2002,09wow.gif0    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had to discover that cheating during a ladder match without an external program running was possible. Wanna know how ? Everybody knows the leader option to radio targets. In small maps the positions of players are uncovered when he fires a single shot. There wont be a "9 o clock, enemy soldier , 300" message onscreen, but the extended target list, lists the players. We had a match where we were shot through fog on 300, or were totally covered behind 2 trees and a bushrow. I say behind as we were not looking through the bushrow. With the yellow square target function it was possible for our enemies to shoot us blindly. That sucked a lot. I hope BIS reads this to synchronise the target list with the actual sightings. We tested that "unsportmanship" function in a training session and I was even able to target the enemy unit miles away that shot me 30 seconds ago, although I never seen the unit. So I stood at respawn sorted targets and gave them to my comrades. It needs no skill to shoot a yellow square till someone dies. All the terrain is set useless with the yellow square. Problem is the team we played against doesnt event think they done wrong. They claim targetting via Radio is an embedded OFP function. They dont see their abuse  of the function what they actually did. It is no fairness or sportsmanship at all to use a bug to improve your skills.

EDIT -removed as solution didnt work - EDIT

For BIS : I hope you can fix that problem with a patch.

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Oct. 08 2002,14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I did smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I am sorry, but I missed it that time and it is too late now. I do not read every single post on this board.

Hey everyone!

I just have to say that I am really looking forward to this patch! When I first saw that list I was freakin amazed! wow.gif And very happy too. wink.gif

There's too many good things to mention everything that I'm really happy about, but I just want to say I'm real glad about the silenced pistol, Res sniper, helicopter landing height fix, tank changes, dynamic vehicle classes and fixing the stairs... Of course everything else too, but I was really crossing my fingers for that stuff! smile.gif

So, I want to express my gratitude to all of you hard working programmers and thank you for your support of the community!

*Asmo raises a glass*

Cheers!

Asmodeus

No problem. I understand you are under heavy workload.

Problem is: What can we do ?

If it is not possible to override it with a script or something like that, what shall we do ? It is a real threat to laddering at the moment. Is there a chance that you release a little patch with a fix for that ? I know this may sound stupid as you all may have booked your holidays after work for 1.85 is finished

smile.gif . But it doesnt have to be a big patch with Version number change. Only a little one that modifies to 1.85a so we can see that it is installed in laddergames.

Any idea ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Oct. 08 2002,14:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there a chance that you release a little patch with a fix for that ?<span id='postcolor'>

This is very unlikely. Releasing any patch is very time consuming (and also expensive) operation.

OK

I am very sad to hear that. I understand that it takes much money to create a patch. Pls dont forget to put it on your list. Meanwhile we will have to live with the problem. I only hope current developement doesnt lead to more teams leaving competition as they already do cause of the radio targeting.

Meanwhile it looks like we only can modify all existing ladder map to "ungrouped" ones.

Thanx anyway.

sad.gif

Balschoiw Can you have the men as seperate and just join them in game? does this still show targets? I rarely see this happen ingame but if you remember in a real war situation the commander would give very direct info on were the enemy was.

Are you just doing a deathmatch game with 1metre visibility? If that is so it might be no point in grouping the men up (I beleave the yellow box only happens when you are grouped?) Try setting commander skill down real low etc etc.. Also look into radio commands for players to use liked 0-12 oclock voices etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone figures out how to make it so it doens't happen with all these new editing commands floating around and all these people cracking so called uncrackable content of OFP smile.gif

I'm sure with all the clever people in the community a workaround could be found, I would suggest taking that specific discussion into ME and leaving this thread for more general 1.85 patch discussions smile.gif

Yeah sorry, I was just trying to calm Balschoiw down as he looked real upset and all torn up about it smile.gif

Balschoiw: Do you play your matches on veteran mode? Maybe i'm wrong (cause the ppl i play with most of the time demand cadet mode) but in veteran mode the yellow squares don't show up or do they?!?

Asmodeus: Just before reading your post i have had the same thought. It must be tough for the bis team to only read complaints or (constructive) criticism in the forums while (i guess) most of the players are in fact really happy about the support they get from bis but don't write anything. Like you, i'm really happy about the patch biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Oct. 08 2002,15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is very unlikely. Releasing any patch is very time consuming (and also expensive) operation.<span id='postcolor'>

I can understand this Suma, but Balschoiw has a point here. Especially the Multiplayer part of OFP suffers from extensive abuse of things like this. Maybe once 1.85 has been our for some weeks, you could come up with yet another update including mainly multiplayer additions. I'm not talking about totally new game modes, but there would be several things which IMHO would improve the multiplayer possibilites even more than 1.85 will.

For example, I would like to see a few more server side variables to toggle like for disabling manual fire or to specify which targets can be locked-on and which not (to stop the lock-on abuse by randomly clicking towards hostile territory in the hopes to successfully target a non-visible enemy unit.). That way, you could for example allow aircraft to be targeted the normal way, but tanks and infantry could not.

Another thing is a new respawn method, which you should be able to set in the description.ext file. This new mode would spawn a player within his AI squad until the whole squad is wiped out but instead of placing him in bird-mode, he would respawn with his squad at full strength. That way, it would be likely to see more multiplayer missions in the form of CTF or C&H where every player controls his own squad.

Oh, and if you would release such a patch, it would be really great to have three more east units added to the game: Ural without cover, UAZ with PK and a Mi-17 without rockets but a PK instead. Creating these units would really not be that hard, as most is based on existing models. The added variety would be ten times worth the effort of creating these units. Furthermore East and West would be a tad more balanced in terms of choice. Even though a bike will be a funny unit, guaranteed, the three East units would have been REALLY useful at least. Let me add a "very urgent" to this in the hopes to get noticed. smile.gif

@benu : Yellow square in Vet modae also. Only display time is shorter

I am not complaining, do I ? I love BIS for OFP and all the support they provide to the users. I already posted in the locked topic, that I bow to them for all the new commands, addons, fixes in patch 1.85.

@Prime : I will answer your post in the already existing topic about MP targetting in ME section.

Dont get me wrong. This was not meant as an insulting post to BIS. I only wanted to make clear what the radio targetting does to MP laddering at the moment and hoped they got a fix for that at hand.

Furthermore I cant wait to heat that Mini down to St Pierre  biggrin.gif

@Placebo

Suma:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am afraid there is no workaround for this.

<span id='postcolor'>

As the yellow square is game - engine defined I see no chance of getting rid of it without having the fingers in the source code. I already posted it twice in the ME section and on Edcenter and noone had an idea how to solve this.

Just out of curiosity.. a lot of people still complain about the accuracy of MG's and I was wondering if this was going to be adjusted at all? I'm actually a better shot with a MG then I am with a sniper rifle so i don't really care tounge.gif

Are there going to be any other dialog scripting features besides the slider? Like checkboxes and the like? smile.gif

wow.gif PEACE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a Mi-17 without rockets but a PK instead<span id='postcolor'>

Actually things like this are already easily done via script. I have a vehicle respawn script that can take most vehicles and add/subtract weapons from them. Typically I have my script remove all rockets from the Mi17 since it's such a spam-machine and replace it with a 30mm cannon.

I also sometimes remove the large rocket magazines from other aircraft and replace it with the OH58 14-round version just to make things more interesting, and I also added a Browning MG to the OH. All of this can be done without addons using scripts.

It is also possible using script to respawn with an entire squad at your disposal. There currently isn't a good way to make you respawn as a member of that squad in a normal CTF mission, for example and then be able to start over after your squad is all dead, but it might be possible. But using normal "base" respawn techniques, whenever the leader of the group dies, i.e. the player, then you could delete all members of the group and create a new group at the respawn, and the player becomes the leader for them. There's a great flexible script for this that allows you to even use vehicles, etc. to respawn with any combination of soldiers and crew so there's a ton of stuff that can be done via script already.