church

Predator C "Avenger" Jet-Powered UAV - Work in progress

After playing with Arma's built in UAV systems for the previous year and a half, I believe it's time for an upgrade. UAV systems in the real world are currently moving toward a much more powerful, long range, advanced genre with jet-powered drones.

This is why 3D artist extraordinaire, Kiory, is currently working on a model based on General Atomics Predator C "Avenger". We're calling it the APEX Drakon.

The model is nearing completion and we felt it would be an appropriate time to announce the work in progress! A few more days of cleaning up the model then texturing and rigging will get it prepped for Arma 3. We're also working with Saul and John_Spartan to implement their loadout feature that is so loved on their F/A-18 Super Hornet.

The Predator C will feature several loadouts and is capable of carrying AGM-114P Hellfire missiles, GBU-39 SDB winged bombs, GBU-12 Paveway II's, GBU-38 JDAM's (both 500 lb bombs), GBU 16 Pavway II's, GBU-32 JDAM's (1000 lb bombs), and the 2000 lb GBU 31 JDAM.

Aside from those it is also capable of carrying the HELLAD Liquid Cooled laser system. This allows the UAV to cause serious damage to ground vehicle systems from a significant distance via laser. Also, it can track missiles being fired at it with the HELLAD and destroy them before they hit their target.

I can't promise we'll get the laser system working to the extreme capabilities of the real HELLAD but we're sure as hell going to try.

Pretty much all of the specs and information on the drone can be found on its wikipedia page and there is also

showcase it as well.

Also, if you are as excited about this new drone as I am, you can watch Kiory build it live on his Twitch. He typically streams from 11:00am GMT to 5:00pm GMT.

Cheers!

Church

NOTE: Here are a few photos to show you all what has been done. These simple renders are after about a week of work. KEEP IN MIND there is still a LOT to be done! This is no where near the final version of the drone, much still needs to be added to the model and adjusted. Texturing still needs to be done and of course actually rigging and getting it into the game.

Also, THIS IS KIORY'S WORK! I'm here to assist in PR and getting it noticed =P Give all credit to him, not me!

untitled.11.jpg

untitled.16.jpg

untitled.14.jpg

untitled.12.jpg

untitled.15.jpg

Edited by Church
Added Video
  • Like 1

Is this the UAV in the USAF mod? I'm wondering because it looks really high quality.

Is this the UAV in the USAF mod? I'm wondering because it looks really high quality.

Nope! This is completely stand alone and is being developed separately. I do love Fuller's work though and I appreciate the compliment! Ha.

This model looks amazing.

> We're also working with Saul and John_Spartan to implement their loadout feature that is so loved on their F/A-18 Super Hornet.

Oh god, YES. I stopped using stock ArmA planes as soon i discovered A-10 and F-18 with custom loadouts.

And featureset is very promising, too! Can't wait to try it.

Glad you're excited! Really though, this UAV is going to rock. We're super excited to release it and hopefully soon!

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Working on the UAV's bomb bay hinges and doors today!

Bomb%20Doors3.jpg

Bomb%20Doors2.jpg

Bomb%20Doors.jpg

Dat amount of details!

One question left - will this beast have countermeasures? Fuller's RQ drones are great, but lack of countermeasures makes it almost useless against bots.

Dat amount of details!

One question left - will this beast have countermeasures? Fuller's RQ drones are great, but lack of countermeasures makes it almost useless against bots.

Yes! This is a 44 foot long drone with 66 foot wingspan. It will behave similarly to the full sized drones already in game, just much faster and more versatile. Complete with countermeasures and all.

I'm not sure Rlex, I'll have to consult the wiki to see if it's even capable of countermeasures. I know it has a lazer beam thingy of death that can shoot down missiles, whether that kind of functionality can be implemented remains to be seen, but I've become quite competent where configging is concerned, I can probably abuse some systems to see if I can make something work.

Edited by Kiory

Well, at least for RQ-9:

>The Northrop Grumman TESAR synthetic aperture radar is fitted on the MQ-1 and provides all-weather surveillance capability, has a resolution of 1ft. Other payload options, which can be selected to meet mission requirements, include a laser designator and rangefinder, electronic support and countermeasures and a moving target indicator (MTI).

Here: http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/predator-uav/

So countermeasures _is_ possible on drones, but it seems like this is custom loadout.

But still no info about avenger.

Work has begun on the Avenger's armament:

GBU%20Paveway%20II.jpg

GBU%20Paveway%20II%20Camera.jpg

GBU%20Paveway%20II2.jpg

GBU%20Paveway%20II3.jpg

Yes, very impressive work, Church, impressive indeed!

:j:

Haha guys, I assure you. This is all Kiory's work. I'll be assisting in the PR work and getting this baby noticed. All of the hard stuff is done by him entirely!

---------- Post added at 01:01 ---------- Previous post was at 00:53 ----------

Kiory's latest work on the GBU Bombs for the Drone!

FA5B9E416810B39B51E9665D76E0E7B8460674B8CDC00659FBpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

B68C7FAB6F8D8E188DCACD9659AF1CC9E842E23DF7D287DEB3pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Blimey that's some high quality work, Bravo!

Church is basically my pimp at this point, I feel like such a bottom bitch.

I may stream later, but bit for too long.

What is the item on the left of the 2x GBU's. Is it an optics pod or is it another weapon system that im not familiar with?

what is the item on the left of the 2x gbu's. Is it an optics pod or is it another weapon system that im not familiar with?

GBU-53/B (Small Diameter Bomb II)

Yup! It's still a WIP so it's not completely finished. You'll recognize it better once the wings are on, Siddy.

Kiory did more work on the bombs today, cleaning up the GBU-53 and beginning on the 2000lb JDAM.

4.jpg

3_1.jpg

1_1.jpg

2_1.jpg

Officially announcing the name chosen for the drone! Introducing, the APEX Drakon.

Drakon%20Definition.jpg

Well there goes any chance of me flying anything else, guess what I will be on every mission now, that's right, a UAV operator.

Introducing the first commercial teasing the Drakon! Get ready for an incredible drone.