El Tyranos

[WIP] Renault Trucks Defense VAB

Hello !

Introducing today the french Véhicule de l'Avant Blindé (VAB).

WIP screenshots :

YB1by6ht.jpg gcYYExft.jpg rFi5YQut.jpg vEI698Ut.jpg V33qkYSt.jpg

Planned features :

- 3 versions : unarmed (sanitary), RCWS, Deployment (with jammer, camo net and some adaptations of VAB Ultima)

- 2 camos : Central Europe and Daguet (desert)

- usable hatches (3) for cargo

- RCWS : realistic HUD ; JSRS .50 Cal Sounds

- Custom engine sound

- And... we're still thinking about it !

3D & Textures : Crotin

Import, config & scripting : El Tyranos

Special thanks : MrEwok ; Cleggy ; LordJarhead ; P1nGa

Any suggestion is welcome. ;)

Edited by ElTyranos
  • Like 1

Nice to see you project in game, Tyra!

Looks to me like the French equivalent of the BRDM.

(Sorry, I'm rather ignorant of French Vehicles).

What's the unarmed version used for?

Finally!!

I really miss french vehicles and the French army in Arma 3. I hope this will be a start for you guys bringing it over to Arma 3.

Edited by Nikiforos

It would more be like a BTR as it is an APC, you can load up to 10 guys in its cargo (but it's usually a group of 7 in combat situations) + 2 crew. BRDM could be compared to PVP (which is not amphibious and designed for light recon / liaison) or to ERC90 Sagaie (for heavier recon, in platoons, but it has way more fire power).

The only unarmed version is an ambulance modification, we have have not decided if we'll make a MEV + unarmed, or only the MEV, or only an unarmed. :)

This is cool to see it here !

We are definitly waiting for the VAB.

Did you talk about it on NoFrag ?

BRDM could be compared to PVP

That's the cutest looking armored car EVAR!

Nice work on the VAB guys, always liked the look of it :)

Itll be nice to see this in-game. Good looking quality and as they say, variety is everything!

Great work!

Nice work !

Any chance to see some exotics models like the VAB MkIII or the old 6*6 version ?

It would more be like a BTR as it is an APC, you can load up to 10 guys in its cargo (but it's usually a group of 7 in combat situations) + 2 crew. BRDM could be compared to PVP (which is not amphibious and designed for light recon / liaison) or to ERC90 Sagaie (for heavier recon, in platoons, but it has way more fire power).

The only unarmed version is an ambulance modification, we have have not decided if we'll make a MEV + unarmed, or only the MEV, or only an unarmed. :)

The BRDM is more like a VBL.

http://www.generalequipment.info/PANHARD%20VBL-1.jpg

The PVP is just a jeep with some armor on it.

Thanks for your comments guys, stay tuned for updates. I'm working on the inside right now and we should be able to present you more very soon. For the MkIII version, it isn't planned for the moment, our first objective is to finish this one properly.

The BRDM is more like a VBL.

Ahem, I never went inside a VBL so I forgot it. I only worked once with an ATGM Milan VBL platoon, I just remember they were hidden in their vehicles while it was raining, so we were the only ones looking in our MILANs thermals, laying in the dirt, soaked, cold and jealous. :D

BRDM-2 is more like a VAB, If we compare the armament and the armor, he is closer to the VAB than to the VBL which is really a small armored car, comparable to the HUMVEE.

Otherwise, we waited more than the French vehicles ! Good job men !

Vive la France !

BRDM-2 is more like a VAB, If we compare the armament and the armor, he is closer to the VAB than to the VBL which is really a small armored car, comparable to the HUMVEE.

I compare it by their respective role and maybe the BRDM-2 has the same armor than the VAB but the last one is an APC and the other a vehicle of reconnaissance. It's like saying that the stryder (the one in arma) is like the marid of the opfor.

I will compare the HMVEE to the P4 (replace by the PVP) or the UAZ as utility and liaison vehicle.

Ahem, I never went inside a VBL so I forgot it. I only worked once with an ATGM Milan VBL platoon, I just remember they were hidden in their vehicles while it was raining, so we were the only ones looking in our MILANs thermals, laying in the dirt, soaked, cold and jealous.

:p

Hello, congrats on your incredible work, I'm eager to see it on the battlefield ! ^^

Just one question, would it be possible to make a version with an exposed gunner ? Like a V.A.B. with a M2 mounted on the top ?

Anyway, good luck for the release, I'll keep an eye on it !

Hello, congrats on your incredible work, I'm eager to see it on the battlefield ! ^^

Just one question, would it be possible to make a version with an exposed gunner ? Like a V.A.B. with a M2 mounted on the top ?

Anyway, good luck for the release, I'll keep an eye on it !

Thank you for your support Alcatraz.

At the moment, the exposed version is not planned. Our first goal is to have the best base as possible. This is already giving us a lot of work as we're both new to ArmA 3 modding. But once the whole thing will be finished and textured, it will be simple to create a exposed version of it, if we decide to.

At the moment, Crotin went into interior modeling, he's advancing nicely, we're just waiting some measures on a real VAB from a former colleague. We'll keep you up to date once we find it not too ugly to be shown.

Looking good guys, nice to see some more French stuff in Arma3.

Hello, here are some new WIP screenshots :

Deployment VAB on early modeling (from Crotin)

U6CIAosl.jpg

Working on the interior proxies and turn out/in script.

9ZtOdHCl.jpg

We hope you will enjoy them.

Very nice model. I'm sure the config will be just as beautiful.:)

I would hate to be assigned the gunner's position though ... :butbut:

I would hate to be assigned the gunner's position though ... :butbut:

Why's that :D ? The gunner stay inside the cockpit, fully protected from shrapnels and bullets, chilling in his seat and firing IAs with the remote device. So better than the hatche's positions...

r3hgvLp.jpg

Ah,sorry, my bad. I didn't realize the M2 was remotely controlled.

The only excuses I can give is that my eyesight is poor - and I was probably drunk...:p

Just curious, what's the polycount of the basic shell of the vehicle? I'm just wondering cause I'm modelling my own MRAP and the polycount is so low since it's so boxy, makes me think it looks even more awful than it does :p

@Cleggy : Ah ah no worries :)

@Slatts : The very basic shell's polycount is about 800 triangles. It's quiet low, but we didn't know the average polycount for a vehicle in ArmA 3 since we started this project with Tyra. With hatches & doors added to the hull, the polycount turns up to 7000 tris (no fear !).

Here is a screenshot of the basic mesh :

ZL3VhJrl.jpg

(By the way, I would like to apologize for my bad english...)

Just curious, what's the polycount of the basic shell of the vehicle? I'm just wondering cause I'm modelling my own MRAP and the polycount is so low since it's so boxy, makes me think it looks even more awful than it does :p

the polycount rarely comes from the hull (if it does, it is either a very very complicated crazy alien curve thing, or somebody did it wrong)... it comes from the stuff you add to it - rails, doors, handles, etc