genesis92x

VCOM AI Driving Mod

Never loading up without this. Thanks Genesis92x!

What he said! ;)

Omg i have waited this Day for so long...This mod go in my top 3 mod with JSRS 3 and Blastcore...

Genesis92x I want to really thank you for this :). It's not perfect for now but fucking much better than arma vanilla...I even doesn't understand why Bis haven't done this with the AI...If you could succeed to avoid the AH 99 and the barrier at the end it will be really perfect :).

Is the 1.10 version of VCOM AI updated with your last version of the driving part or i should use this with for the moment ?

Anyway thanks again :).

Now we need a PROPER AI flying (both jets and helos!) ... there is your next challenge genesis92x!!

Now we need a PROPER AI flying (both jets and helos!) ... there is your next challenge genesis92x!!

I second this! I have always wanted to look into how to do this. ALIVEs combat support does it reasonably well but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Just tried this out in the editor, the script version. Addon version didn't work for me for some reason. The Hunter drove around the first bmp wreck but is hit and miss with a fuel truck wreck i placed in Agia Marina. It either hits it almost goes around it and gets stuck. Change to a bmp wreck and it goes a little nuts. Here's the mission if you want to try and see what i mean. Looks promising despite this. I probably threw it in the deep end! ;)

My test https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28136044/StandAloneDriving.Stratis.zip

Ah thank you, Genesis92x. this will fit nicely into my folder of always-used addons.

Haven't had time to run any more tests since the ones I mentioned in the Reactive Squads thread, but I will & I'll post the results here.

Cheers!

this is cool. thanks. one thing I've seen is that with this mod the drivers seem to run me over more often.

I have to test this :cool:

This could be the thing to cross off the first point from my signature. A shame that a moder has to do it instead of BIS. :j:

Great work, very impressive!

I'm not entirely sure about this yet but I believe that running this with ALiVE on a dedicated server causes massive rubber banding. Anyone else see this? I'm still doing more testing but it definitely has an effect on the combat support aircraft for some reason.

Nvm I think i found out whats causing it.

Edited by Raytesh

After getting home from work i couldn't wait to give this another go. Tried the addon version this time and put 4 wrecks on a long straight but slightly curved road and it worked flawlessly. But throw in a turn at a junction with a wreck not too far up the road and it drives over it. Hopefully this will be ironed out at some point. But despite that it's f@#kin' awesome. :D

Wow guys,

I did not expect such a response. Thanks for being so supportive!

After reading a few posts, I agree that the mod is not perfect and with a few versions it should be better. I don't think I will ever be able to account for 100% of the AI behaviors, but catching most of them would be nice.

No effect with ALiVE - works perfectly

I think my problem might be related to RHS and alive and this mod. Once again I'm still trying to figure out what causes it. Its bad because it feels like the AI pilots are constantly back peddling and rubber banding back and forth like 1/2 seconds at a time. (If it wasn't for this the flight would be flawless. I also saw AI drivers do the same thing.) I will solve this problem and figure out whats causing it! I doubt very much its this mod but something of something in my mod list. Just wondering if it was happening to anyone else.

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Wow guys,

After reading a few posts, I agree that the mod is not perfect and with a few versions it should be better. I don't think I will ever be able to account for 100% of the AI behaviors, but catching most of them would be nice.

Anything that makes the AI better and functions with spawned in units from MCC or Zues makes the game infinitely better in my opinion. There are so many behaviors that need to be addressed to make things flow smoothly. Especially in the realm of AI combat support for those of us without large groups of people to fill the CAS or transport roll. But that's just my opinion. :)

Congrats on the release!

I just got this, pretty sure it was this mod related only:

18:08:07 Error in expression <_AlreadyExecuted isEqualTo 0>

18:08:07 Error position: <_AlreadyExecuted isEqualTo 0>

18:08:07 Error Undefined variable in expression: _alreadyexecuted

18:08:07 Error in expression <_UseAI isEqualTo 1>

18:08:07 Error position: <_UseAI isEqualTo 1>

18:08:07 Error Undefined variable in expression: _useai

Edit: Mod version.

Goodness, are the days of ArmA's bad drivers nearly behind us? Like, seeing some parts of that video make me feel like I'm seeing footage of ArmA IV or something. Such a major jump forward, considering III's driving barely seems different than II's driving...

Edited by Foffy

Splendid work! I've always been yearning to do sth. like this but the velocity calculations were too annoying :D

Looking at the script, you seem to create a number of dummy objects. Any performance issues on a dedicated environment? You might want to disable Simulation on the dummy objects as there doesn't seem to be a need to broadcast them over the network.

Also:

[_objectsHouseArray] spawn {
     _objectsHouseArray = _this select 0;
     sleep 15;
     {
       deleteVehicle _x;
     } foreach _objectsHouseArray;
   };

seems wasteful (selecting array inside array). Why not just

_objectsHouseArray spawn {
     sleep 15;
     {
       deleteVehicle _x;
     } foreach _this;
   };

?

Furthermore, you could replace the staggered if clauses such as

if (!(_x isKindOf "Man")) then {
     if (!(_x isKindOf "Helper_Base_F")) then {
     if (!(_x isKindOf "Logic")) then {

with

if (!(_x isKindOf "Man") && {!(_x isKindOf "Helper_Base_F") && !(_x isKindOf "Logic")}) then {

That way you only have one if check with a lazy eval.

Edited by Wolfenswan

This excellent! Will be testing this baby out for sure.

@wolfenswan.... clever bugger you ! :-)

I'm constantly impressed by the level of skills members present here.

SJ

I'm constantly impressed by the level of skills members present here.

The knowledge of SQF is less that of a scripting language and more like the shared oral history of a tribe. If it doesn't doesn't get passed on from member to member it will die ;)

^^ that is a great quote Wolfenswan!

Hope genesis92x can tweak some of his code now. I'm really interested in seeing IF the 'never stick it in reverse' can be addressed !

We've already seen tracked vehicles doing exactly that... I assumed it was a known feature ?

Infact I overheard several players commenting that it MUST be ZEUS driving that 'cos it's going backwards.

I was zeus and busy shooting down an L85 at the time, so I know it wasn't me ;-)

Is it possible that it's affecting AI pilots? I mean real pilots like helicopter pilots. I gave the order to disembark from a Huron, and the AI pilots took off and went crazy all over the place. Reboot without this mod, and couldn't reproduce the problem. I'll do more testing tonight, but if it's affecting air vehicle "drivers", it really shoudn't.

Wow guys,

What? - IIRC someone told you it would be a massivehit (and not on the FPS, either :) )

Keep going mate. You can't solve everything - e.g., Hunters still get themselves stuck on rocks occasionally - but the improvement is already huge.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

III's driving barely seems different than II's driving...

Niot true. It's much worse, partly because BIS designed a terrain with lots of rocks and dry stone walls apparently by devs devoid of any foresight into how the AI would cope. And the AI drivers are even worse than in A2 for running over friendlies.