sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

Question for Tetet - paging TET!  :D

Did you get good results w/ my AAA and SA2 site stuff?  Before I packed up and moved I had all that stuff to the point no more errors were popping up, so those things should be ready to play w/ the Bravo crew members.  That was the big break between Alpha/Bravo was the rename of those crew class names.  Otherwise the stuff should work... just ported it all from my basic SAM pack and made for NVA of course...

I did only a limited test a couple of weeks ago. I think I reported the popup error on some site spawner and that the missiles did not launch against me flying various planes. The AAA however shot me out of the sky nicely. So the SA-2 was a no show in the sky for me, but the bullets were flying anyway.

Glad your move worked out nicely but for minor losses ;)

hey eggbeast, i have some questions about the vietnam war:

were the patrol boats from both sides used in combat and also did some of them sunk due to action?

and the helicopters from the north vietnamese sides, were they actually used in combat (like attacking a base etc) like the huey was used in combat, or didn´t the NVA helicopters had a major role in the vietnam war?

• Like 1

hey eggbeast, i have some questions about the vietnam war:

were the patrol boats from both sides used in combat and also did some of them sunk due to action?

and the helicopters from the north vietnamese sides, were they actually used in combat (like attacking a base etc) like the huey was used in combat, or didn´t the NVA helicopters had a major role in the vietnam war?

NVA patrol boats were mostly destroyed early on in the war as the US gained air superiority.  There just wasn't that much they could do on the water and survive due to US air assets. 

NVA used helicopters almost exclusively for resupply operations.  Not really a major role.  NVA ground forces were the hard hitters in the war for the most part.  AAA and SAM protection enabled them to operate quite effectively.

• Like 1

I did only a limited test a couple of weeks ago. I think I reported the popup error on some site spawner and that the missiles did not launch against me flying various planes. The AAA however shot me out of the sky nicely. So the SA-2 was a no show in the sky for me, but the bullets were flying anyway.

Glad your move worked out nicely but for minor losses ;)

I'm still working on getting the house in order but I would like to discuss this further.

Hi Unsung team:

Do you need mission makers to create missions/campaign for the next release?

I'm willing to help :)

Contrary to wikipedia understanding, based on the research I have been doing these past months, NV Navy used patrol boats extensively to counter SOG infiltration (some real some fake psy-ops) along the north vietnam coast.  Earlier in the war SOG had used fast boats operated by Norwegian mercenaries to harass and attack shipping and docks along the coast, which NV attempted to counter with bigger patrol boats.

SOG also used junks/sampans to send raiding parties, covert observers and resupply to agents, these were often stopped and searched and in some cases sunk by the NV.  SOG decided to develop secret weapons junks to counter the NV boat threat, but this was not deployed, instead the Norwegian fast boats from earlier in the war were unleashed once more and engaged in actual naval combat - though they were fast enough to escape NV navy assets..

SOG also used to kidnap local fishermen in fast boats and bring them blindfold to an island off the SV coast, which they told them was on NV mainland. they would have a whole village made up of recruited NV people who would pretend they were part of a guild of patriots working to free NV of communism.  they would be feasted and looked after for 2 weeks then returned home with gift packs and other items containing secret messages and radios etc, which would all be designed to deceive the NV secret police into thinking there was an underground anti-revolutionary mass movement in NV.

Later in the war the NV had patrol boats covering their coast constantly surveilling for SOG incursion.

NVA helicopters were not used in south vietnam and would not have been seen by conventional troops.

However they were seen often in Laos and Cambodia, ferrying troops, weapons but primarily district commanders and their HQ teams etc

At one point in Plaisters book he describes a situation where they had 2 NVAF helicopters flying about and they could not get anyone to shoot them down because they were more than 10 miles from the SV border.

My main source for this is John Plaisters excellent book: SOG

• Like 2

Hi Unsung team:

Hey wiki!

I'm sorry to say as much as we would love to invite mission makers into the mix to create missions, the UNSUNG Dev team don't have the necessary time to always look at community made missions due to finishing off the UNSUNG mod being a heavy task. Do not let this discourage you though! Anyone is at any time free to publicly release user made missions (Obviously not including the testers who have been asked for their content to be released after testing is done ;) ) using the UNSUNG mod to share it amongst the community or for it to be played privately with a community since the mission is your content and you are free to do what you please with it! If you do end up making missions either in the current Alpha or you are planning to once Bravo releases feel free to drop a link here or anywhere where we can see it for us to check it out when we can!

Hi Unsung team:

@ Wiki mate hit me up on skype we'll chat mate ;)

What is your steam id mate?

Contrary to wikipedia understanding, based on the research I have been doing these past months, NV Navy used patrol boats extensively to counter SOG infiltration (some real some fake psy-ops) along the north vietnam coast.  Earlier in the war SOG had used fast boats operated by Norwegian mercenaries to harass and attack shipping and docks along the coast, which NV attempted to counter with bigger patrol boats.

SOG also used junks/sampans to send raiding parties, covert observers and resupply to agents, these were often stopped and searched and in some cases sunk by the NV.  SOG decided to develop secret weapons junks to counter the NV boat threat, but this was not deployed, instead the Norwegian fast boats from earlier in the war were unleashed once more and engaged in actual naval combat - though they were fast enough to escape NV navy assets..

SOG also used to kidnap local fishermen in fast boats and bring them blindfold to an island off the SV coast, which they told them was on NV mainland. they would have a whole village made up of recruited NV people who would pretend they were part of a guild of patriots working to free NV of communism.  they would be feasted and looked after for 2 weeks then returned home with gift packs and other items containing secret messages and radios etc, which would all be designed to deceive the NV secret police into thinking there was an underground anti-revolutionary mass movement in NV.

Later in the war the NV had patrol boats covering their coast constantly surveilling for SOG incursion.

NVA helicopters were not used in south vietnam and would not have been seen by conventional troops.

However they were seen often in Laos and Cambodia, ferrying troops, weapons but primarily district commanders and their HQ teams etc

At one point in Plaisters book he describes a situation where they had 2 NVAF helicopters flying about and they could not get anyone to shoot them down because they were more than 10 miles from the SV border.

My main source for this is John Plaisters excellent book: SOG

thank you very much and also to HcPookie

Hey guys some pics to release today are a first look at the new Khe Sanh map being developed by londo with the rest of the team!

6FA5DC4DBCEA9AC17871A252675DC83E1DD215EF

E7A0826428F88BDE9095448BB1A53AB319D85258

5D4A1D854CB73431289E19B191DF93E5A12FFEB7

0E1AD49666F3E8DF4622C0A442375B1EDA7F0B38

This is a really big task londo is personally undertaking with the support of the guys within the UNSUNG team so if you want to leave some support then just throw some compliments towards his way ;) Thanks guys!

- Barden

• Like 8

he's using a lot of real refs, so this beauty of a map is gonna feel just like the real terrain

including some bits of Laos to the west

• Like 1

oh, that looks a great - nice work londo. Keep it up!

What about Lang Vei and the hills 881 and 861? WIll the map includ this too?

Hey guys some pics to release today are a first look at the new Khe Sanh map being developed by londo with the rest of the team!

-snip-

This is a really big task londo is personally undertaking with the support of the guys within the UNSUNG team so if you want to leave some support then just throw some compliments towards his way ;) Thanks guys!

- Barden

nice, what ground textures are being used? ArmA 3 or custom ones?

yeah the key hills and Lang Vei are in.

shame our PT76 is in a bad state

but we do have an AC47 and bulldozers for the counter-attack

Yeah eggbeast,

and a lot of jets for air support.

any way the m60 will be amde compatable with ace so ut dosent over heat also i love the map can you tell us what its masurments are like 20k x 20k

any way the m60 will be amde compatable with ace so ut dosent over heat also i love the map can you tell us what its masurments are like 20k x 20k

Chas Gate, unless our mod will be completely compatible with ACE, we won't know which parts of our mod will work with ACE settings which is why it's probably unreliable to say what will and won't work. Khe Sanh will be a 20x20 map unless one of the devs correct me if I'm wrong. Like eggbeast said planned features include all surrounding hilltops as well as Lang Vei SF Camps and a little bit of Laos but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves, one step of development at a time.

• Like 1

Will you add Eggbeast`s planes to the mod,when he`s finnished porting them A2-models-to A-3 ?

Lot`s of interresting stuff in there....

which planes did you have in mind? haven't you read the list already? oh i forgot you just pop into threads posting random requests, without reading what came before, forget i spoke mate.

• Like 3

Great work on the mod.  I've been searching for the class names of the factions to use in a persistent scenario I'm working on with the Spawn AI module.  I can't seem to find that.  I can find the individual unit classnames, but not the factions or groups.  Can someone please help me with this?  Thank you :-)

When you update the mod are the uniforms and vests going to have the weird and new balistic and exsplosive damge and are bomb suits used in nam 

hi there,

at first thx for the support;-)

then, I can approve the accuracy of the statements made by egg and nakkas.

and to answer the texture question. its a mixture of both.