sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

So are you going to be adding weapons like the kar 98

The Kar-98 wasn't used in the Vietnam war as far as I'm aware, at least as far as I know. Mostly Soviet left overs from WW2 and Chinese weaponry

The Kar-98 wasn't used in the Vietnam war as far as I'm aware, at least as far as I know. Mostly Soviet left overs from WW2 and Chinese weaponry

While very far from a "common" /general issue weapon, its very likely that many mausers found their way south on the Ho Chi Mnh trail. China had bought and produced the Mauser Rifle since the 1930s. Also, its quite likely North Vietnam, China and North Korea all would have received captured ex-German weapons that the Soviet Union was known for practically giving away to just about anyone they sought to cultivate an alliance with (various left leaning places in South East Asia as well as anti-colonial movements in Africa and the middle east) during that time. This is much the same as how MP44s are starting to pop up in Syria after decades in storage. Captured German weapons given away by the Soviets and stored for a rainy day.

Still, I wouldn't be too broken up if we don't see one in Unsung, shouldn't be any more common than say an old Lebel 8mm rifle from WW1. They probably had more than a few of those left over in French Indochina but that doesn't mean it should be a priority for it to be featured in this mod.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k#Soviet_Capture

• Like 1

No we won't be adding every single item that existed on planet Earth in 1966.  We do have an AMPLE selection of hardware for anyone to enjoy.  We generally don't entertain "hey can you add this because it was there in 1966 so I think you should add it".  So just save yourself some time and assume the answer is "no".

Some testing tonight...  IN short, the PBR is very useful in the new maps.  Huey choppers of course... well...

sniper_Overwatch.jpg

40mm airburst rounds:

m203airburst.jpg

Hot LZ:

hot_LZ.jpg  casesfly.jpg

Clearing the LZ before we land:

LZambush.jpg

Taking flak from the AAA cannon we are assaulting:

incomingoutgoing.jpg

Attacking w/ the PBR model w/ flame thrower:

deltaattack.jpg

wow, so many guns..

He only missed a few weapons that couldn't be shown in Arsenal but it's okay since I've made a google doc I'm sharing out with the public now that should include all the usable weaponry within UNSUNG not including variations of weapons ;)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1inNGScd1doc_6nEfuDiBkwWrQNifBoQvWAIC2o--9B8/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy ;) - Barden

yeah nice vid, though he could have done with me whispering in his ear:

- a lot of his thoughts about origins or purpose were incorrect! but hey that's our job right? the weapon library and descriptions tell you a lot about this stuff

- all the weapons with pre-loaded attachments, like the LMGs and sniper-rifles and SMG's and pistols with suppressors don't show up in the arsenal, so about a quarter of our weapons are missing

- the bayonets will work in melee combat, as will the rifle butts

- the wire stock weapons have more dexterity but more recoil

- the StG44 and uzi need a new uvmap

- all of the AK variants have slight differences based on their date of production

- the full-auto grenade launcher vest has been fixed!

- the french MAS49/56, BAR, and K-50M models are due to be replaced shortly with those lovely high def models you have seen in other shots.

- he missed out demoing some attachments like the APS with suppressor, the Stoner with bipod etc.

- the PM63 should not have a suppressor - I will fix that - good find.

- he missed the RPG7 and SA7 launchers

- the B40 and K50M are vietnamese-made copies of the RPG2 and PPSh

- also he missed the grenades - we have 25 types

all in all though not a bad demo! thanks shermanator.

yeah nice vid, though he could have done with me whispering in his ear:

- a lot of his thoughts about origins or purpose were incorrect! but hey that's our job right? the weapon library and descriptions tell you a lot about this stuff

- all the weapons with pre-loaded attachments, like the LMGs and sniper-rifles and SMG's and pistols with suppressors don't show up in the arsenal, so about a quarter of our weapons are missing

- the bayonets will work in melee combat, as will the rifle butts

- the wire stock weapons have more dexterity but more recoil

- the StG44 and uzi need a new uvmap

- all of the AK variants have slight differences based on their date of production

- the full-auto grenade launcher vest has been fixed!

- the french MAS49/56, BAR, and K-50M models are due to be replaced shortly with those lovely high def models you have seen in other shots.

- he missed out demoing some attachments like the APS with suppressor, the Stoner with bipod etc.

- the PM63 should not have a suppressor - I will fix that - good find.

- he missed the RPG7 and SA7 launchers

- the B40 and K50M are vietnamese-made copies of the RPG2 and PPSh

- also he missed the grenades - we have 25 types

all in all though not a bad demo! thanks shermanator.

Are the weapons rate of fires going to be the same as they were in his demo?

why do you ask?

The rate of fire of an m16a1 is 150-200rpm. And in his demo it looked a lot faster 

Mate there is so much stuff in Bravo! Holy shit! And the fact that we are getting them Hueys make it even better! 

Is there currently or going to be an official UNSUNG discord server? I've been using discord a lot recently and thought it might be good for organising UNSUNG community stuff.

Is there currently or going to be an official UNSUNG discord server? I've been using discord a lot recently and thought it might be good for organising UNSUNG community stuff.

I've personally heard great things about it, never got the chance to use it myself being into the heavy ArmA community I mainly use TS for chatting to others and the dev/pr team uses Skype for all other comms other than Steam here and there. Not my decision to say much else on that subject though but I still wouldn't mind checking discord out :)

good point on the m16. we may have to edit it.

I am against a discord server for the simple fact that, unlike forum posts, you cannot easily search a discord 'discussion'.  It is essentially a stream-of-consciousness chat, in the same vein as skype.  Not worth it.  We have the forums here, on Armaholic, and we have a bug tracker that we use to log progress.  Adding yet another communication medium would dilute the communication channels and would certainly cause things to get lost in the process.  So if were up to me, no, there would not be yet another chat gizmo added to the already robust communication tools in place.   :)

Improved zippo flame... actually using the "flame" sprite instead of the "smoke" sprite.  So now it looks like flame instead of a water cannon shooting out Tang :)

betterflame.jpg

• Like 3

ok Huey Gunships added

note: for transport your squad will need to use the H34 or H13 for now, as UH-1D/H Slicks are not in bravo

All rocketpods are removable, and you will be able to change them using the in-game menu..

"uns_UH1C_M21_M158"                   UH-1C-M21 with dual M134, 7x rocket pod, and M60 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M21_M200"                   UH-1C-M21 with dual M134, 19x rocket pod, and M60 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M21_M200_1AC"               as above in 1st Air Cav livery
"uns_UH1C_M6_M158"                    UH-1C-M6 with quad M60, 7x rocket pod, and M60 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M6_M200"                    UH-1C-M6 with quad M60, 19 rocket pod, and M60 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M6_M200_1AC"                as above in 1st Air Cav livery, but with experimental napalm tanks

"uns_UH1C_M21_M158_M134"              UH-1C-M21 with dual M134, 7x rocket pod, and M134 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M6_M200_M134"               UH-1F-M21 with quad M60, 19x rocket pod, and M134 door guns in random livery/decals

"uns_UH1F_M21_M158_Hornet"            UH-1F-M21 with dual M134, 7x rocket pod, and M134 door guns in USAF Green Hornet livery/decals
"uns_UH1F_M6_M158_Hornet"             UH-1F-M6 with quad M60, 7x rocket pod, and M134 door guns in USAF Green Hornet livery/decals
"UNS_UH1B_TOW"                        UH-1B Combat Aerial Tow Team. 6x TOW missile pod in 1st CAT livery
"UNS_UH1C_M3_ARA"                     UH-1C/M3 Aerial Rocket Artillery. 24x Rocket pod and M75 Grenade launcher
  • Like 3

ok Huey Gunships added

note: for transport your squad will need to use the H34 or H13 for now, as UH-1D/H Slicks are not in bravo

All rocketpods are removable, and you will be able to change them using the in-game menu..

"uns_UH1C_M21_M158"                   UH-1C-M21 with dual M134, 7x rocket pod, and M60 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M21_M200"                   UH-1C-M21 with dual M134, 19x rocket pod, and M60 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M21_M200_1AC"               as above in 1st Air Cav livery
"uns_UH1C_M6_M158"                    UH-1C-M6 with quad M60, 7x rocket pod, and M60 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M6_M200"                    UH-1C-M6 with quad M60, 19 rocket pod, and M60 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M6_M200_1AC"                as above in 1st Air Cav livery, but with experimental napalm tanks

"uns_UH1C_M21_M158_M134"              UH-1C-M21 with dual M134, 7x rocket pod, and M134 door guns in random livery/decals
"uns_UH1C_M6_M200_M134"               UH-1F-M21 with quad M60, 19x rocket pod, and M134 door guns in random livery/decals

"uns_UH1F_M21_M158_Hornet"            UH-1F-M21 with dual M134, 7x rocket pod, and M134 door guns in USAF Green Hornet livery/decals
"uns_UH1F_M6_M158_Hornet"             UH-1F-M6 with quad M60, 7x rocket pod, and M134 door guns in USAF Green Hornet livery/decals
"UNS_UH1B_TOW"                        UH-1B Combat Aerial Tow Team. 6x TOW missile pod in 1st CAT livery
"UNS_UH1C_M3_ARA"                     UH-1C/M3 Aerial Rocket Artillery. 24x Rocket pod and M75 Grenade launcher

Will the hueys door gunners have searchlights?

Saw a previous reply mentioning something about a test version? Is that only available to devs? Also are you guys looking for any help on the project?

Problems with downed trees?  Call in the engineers!

cleartree1.jpg  cleartree2.jpg

• Like 4

yeah you're a godsend pook! awesome! that is gonna be the most used asset in the mod. I guarantee it.

some pics of the new huey gunships in action

hueyn12_zpsaqgxm05a.jpg

hueyn6_zps6hfbhc3x.jpg

hueyn1_zpsgbxbi0kf.jpg

hueyn5_zpsxtygt6vb.jpg

hueyn2_zpsstnzcs8x.jpg

• Like 1

Workin' for the weekend!

Latest and (probably) last script update for M113... plow those craters away!  Keeps the runways etc. clean and free of any "class nonstrategic" objects... i.e. craters.  List subject to expansion based on game play needs.

plowing1.jpg

If only you could hear the new "tractor engine under load" sound I found on the Internets... oh wait you will soon! :)

• Like 1

above and beyond pook... you have saved the day from noobs trashing the AO with bombs, making it impossible to see charlie comin.  now they can be ordered, under threat of a ban, to take the engineer dozer into the AO to clean up their mess. Same goes for noobs makin' hard landings and trashing the runway with those permanent (thanks BIS!) craters that then damage any planes trying to take off. We have been known to make similar people clean up their own cluster-minefields, deactivating hundreds of little rust-coloured balls by hand... and with a scattering of timed mines that go off anyway that makes for a laugh.