sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

The ammo box bunker - that would be an easy build for someone :)

I just tried and couldn't even make the little crate the gunner was using as a seat. I'll leave it to the skilled people.

we have those crates already

You know looking more closely at that mount it appears to be a Maxim or possibly a Browning MG mount.  Another pic from here:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/We_Were_Soldiers#Degtyaryov_DP-28

600px-Vlcsnap-163052.jpg

In the enlarged pic you can plainly see the pintle mount with an attachment bolted to it, probably a piece from a different mount, which is clamped around the handguard.  That looks a lot like a Browning mount like you would see on a 1919 .30 cal.

I also laughed when I saw that "fake DSHK" in the movie.  Glad they pointed it out in that listing.

On your website, on the concept unit page. There's a US soldier without a top with just his rigging and pants. Do you plan to implement this into the game? 

the MP mission

da krong -> quan tri = operation hastings  what else?

for the dev team some famous songs are allowed or not? :D

Good news! What RWO are you thinking about?

Not sure as of right now. The idea recently popped up in my head. Some operation conducted quite early in the war, say 1965/1967 maybe. Happy to recieve tips. 

pook i had thought that mount was the mg42 "table" mount, you would know best though. 

i've been having fun trying to get all these statics working - massive chore - like a3d jigsaw with 1000 moving parts and no picture...

getting there though - the searchlights, pk, m60, m1919, mg42, m2, and dshk including bunkers and towers are pretty much finished.

mortars, AAA, SPG's, GLs and arty cannons to go..

One thing i was wondering do you have plans to make a different sun and atmosphere ? Would love to see an asian orange sunset, the current one doesnt really look that good when trying to make a sunset.

yeah the guys are looking at this at present

ok static MG's finished

next up: GMG, mortar, SPG, AAA, arty...

• Like 1

ok static MG's finished

next up: GMG, mortar, SPG, AAA, arty...

What's left overall?

This is the MG42 mount... the legs are adjustable for height, this pic shows it at its higher point.  Note also the periscope sight that allows the gunner to stay almost completely behind cover.  Note that the one we have now is accurate but w/o the periscope.  The mount has springs that help absorb recoil of the gun:

mg42_53_tripod_5.jpg

Here you can see how the periscope can be employed with the lowered tripod... literally only the gun and top of the scope are exposed.  That's an early model MG42 since the charging handle is the "old style" design:

smg42.jpg

am i cross-eyed from staring at model.cfgs or is that mg42 tripod missing a leg?

some pics from todays test game:

flak from the btr40 zpu4

flak1_zpsv6eyb83w.jpg

flak2_zpsjwwyoctw.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good!  Been able to test the SA2 yet?

am i cross-eyed from staring at model.cfgs or is that mg42 tripod missing a leg?

Yes it does doesn't it :)

sav's testing the sa-2 sites etc. i am working through the statics, boats and cars.

here's the m113 with minigun, fighting in the awesome swamp area (watch out for submerged tree trunks!)

we have decided to remove the m113 amphibious floating for bravo, as in testing it loses steering quite badly.

it became a distraction to gameplay, so it now has a high fording depth instead.

until we work out how to fix it.

m1341_zpsvmydzbs2.jpg

m1342_zps5qzlkytg.jpg

• Like 2

As I recall the M113 steered like crap in water anyway. Basically move straight and minimize the time in the water.

here's the m113 with minigun, fighting in the awesome swamp area (watch out for submerged tree trunks!)

we have decided to remove the m113 amphibious floating for bravo, as in testing it loses steering quite badly.

it became a distraction to gameplay, so it now has a high fording depth instead.

until we work out how to fix it.

Good idea... the current amphib issue for tracked vehicles is the same for everyone, not just our M113's.  I have been talking w/ the CUP guys - it can't be fixed at present.  The previous "tweak" I made no longer works, so until BIS fixes the problem the fording depth will have to do!

The current behavior is that you cannot steer in the water, and you chug along at a nice 1kph.

Is there a way to mix the files from a bote and the m113s so it has a duel property.? I mean taking the files from the boates or pbrs and trying to add some of there config to the tanks were you can still drive on land but also it would be a boat on water

i can't believe i clicked "read it anyway" - chas you are firmly on my ignore list lol.