animander

Helvantis Terrain

Loving this terrain, literally been bombing around in a Land Rover and enjoying the sights.

Until I found floaty buildings and wondered what was happening there.

It's still brilliant though and looking forward to it being tweaked and the likes to make it wonderful. I assume you are aware that at a certain altitude and when you look to the West, you see a massive terrain line across your view?

Looking forward to further updates and making missions on this.

Attached is location and picture of floating buildings:

http://imgur.com/e6qkRqK

http://imgur.com/tCMj48s

I believe that the floating buildings are from not having your AiA terrain pack up to date.

I believe that the floating buildings are from not having your AiA terrain pack up to date.

What he said.... update AiA_TP - you're only like 3 months out of date ;-)

Sj

redarmy - I'm not sure about AI crossing the bridge, I'll look into it, but since the bridges are Arma2 models I'm using from AiA, there's nothing I can really do about that. I have no plans at this point to make a land bridge of any kind.

On SMD Sahrani some bridges are working and some not. I think the solution is to tweak the height of the bridge.

Ive had the Arma 3 ai do surprising well on bridges... give them a 90 degree turn near a wall in a city... well... tragic...

Awesome map ... really... added some snow flurries and it looks amazing

great Fps too.

Just want to say thanks and outstanding work!!

What u mean snow flurries? Are u able to make it snow? If so do u have a link

I love this map animander,but in all my times(3hours) running around with AI i can say there are a lot of pathfinding issues,and issues with AI walking through buildings(arma3 buildings)

Not your fault im sure but is there anything that can be done to improve pathfinding?Not being able to cross the only bridge is annoying enough but understandable as most bridges if not all in arma are like that with ai(thanks bis)

However take a run around the eastern airfield with some AI.The ai are completely unable to navigate it...lets say im in middile of runway,and tell my squad move to end of runway.They move off the runway to a fence,and run along it.

Also the walls around the airport its self,the will only run along these walls when told to move anywhere within the airport.Its like they are maginitsed to them.Even when i have a regroup command active and i walk the width of the airport,squad will walk the length,taking 20minutes or so.

Hope theres some way to fix these issues.Even other areas of the map the ai get stuck,particularly with fences.If you get around to checking it out,and manage to update it with possible workarounds,id be more than happy to test and put alot of time into it.

I love this map,my favourate by far,but in its current state its bordering on unplayble

Azer1234 - not sure what he used to make snow, but this is what a friend showed me:

snow = "#particlesource" createVehicleLocal (getpos player);     snow setParticleParams [["A3\Data_F\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16, 12, 8, 1],"","Billboard",1,2,[0,0,5],[0,0,0],1,0.0001,0,1.4,[0.06,0.06],[[1,1,1,0.7]],[1,1],0.2,1.2,"","",vehicle player];   snow setParticleRandom [0, [10, 10, 5], [0, 0, 0], 0, 0.02, [0, 0, 0, 0.1], 0, 0];   snow setDropInterval 0.01;

paste that into the end of your init.sqf This will create a cloud of particles that fall around each playable character. The only downside is that it will still look like it's snowing even when you're indoors, but it looks great most of the time. Change the last number at the end to change density of the falling snow (setDropInterval 0.01 = lighter snowfall, setDropInterval 0.00001 = more snow, etc)

redarmy - I'm not really sure where your ai pathfinding issues are coming from. Any issues with entering/exiting buildings is out of my control, it comes down to Bohemia's creation of those buildings. As for the airfield, I've played with ai there before and never had any issues like what you're describing. Has anyone else tried it and can confirm?

thanks so much! this snow effect combined with this awesome map (and also TFA snow camo units) has breathed new life into A3!

Azer1234 - not sure what he used to make snow, but this is what a friend showed me:

snow = "#particlesource" createVehicleLocal (getpos player);     snow setParticleParams [["A3\Data_F\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16, 12, 8, 1],"","Billboard",1,2,[0,0,5],[0,0,0],1,0.0001,0,1.4,[0.06,0.06],[[1,1,1,0.7]],[1,1],0.2,1.2,"","",vehicle player];   snow setParticleRandom [0, [10, 10, 5], [0, 0, 0], 0, 0.02, [0, 0, 0, 0.1], 0, 0];   snow setDropInterval 0.01;

paste that into the end of your init.sqf This will create a cloud of particles that fall around each playable character. The only downside is that it will still look like it's snowing even when you're indoors, but it looks great most of the time. Change the last number at the end to change density of the falling snow (setDropInterval 0.01 = lighter snowfall, setDropInterval 0.00001 = more snow, etc)

redarmy - I'm not really sure where your ai pathfinding issues are coming from. Any issues with entering/exiting buildings is out of my control, it comes down to Bohemia's creation of those buildings. As for the airfield, I've played with ai there before and never had any issues like what you're describing. Has anyone else tried it and can confirm?

Hey animander,your rite actually.Tested again,it seems using bcombat,groups in combat mode have hard time navigating.Think its just a bcombat issue,but never experienced it on other maps.

I will try place fences and walls youve used on this map on another map and run tests.

DIDO on the snow effects,they are awesome.And good job on the choice of building and building placement.I couldnt have placed it better myself

We need more cold maps! Looks cool. Would like to find a good winter map to play since winter is setting in. Does anyone know if this has been indexed by the ALiVE team yet or work with ALiVE?

We need more cold maps! Looks cool. Would like to find a good winter map to play since winter is setting in. Does anyone know if this has been indexed by the ALiVE team yet or work with ALiVE?

Thirk Island is indexed for Alive, also has a weather gamelogic for snow and fog that is still outstanding .. being a A2 island you are going to need AiA or A3MP.

Nice Terrain! The main city does have about 3-4 apartment looking buildings that are about 25 meters off the ground, levitating in mid air. Anyone else experienced this?

Nice Terrain! The main city does have about 3-4 apartment looking buildings that are about 25 meters off the ground, levitating in mid air. Anyone else experienced this?

Your AiA_TP is out of date.

Thanks for publishing the updated version of your island on Armaholic :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

don't know if this had been reported before.I got a FPS drop in this map,about 10.And I try to make the grass not display in the view and then the FPS become normal.And i tested in other maps with a lot of grass i didn't get a FPS drop.Is that because the too many grasses that make the FPS drop?

don't know if this had been reported before.I got a FPS drop in this map,about 10.And I try to make the grass not display in the view and then the FPS become normal.And i tested in other maps with a lot of grass i didn't get a FPS drop.Is that because the too many grasses that make the FPS drop?

Turn off ambient occlusion man,things should be fine,i get it also.

Set mine to 2X AA, no ATOC for trees and grass.

This usually only happens when scoped in

Haya, had a few quick testruns and must say: Brilliant work, mate! I was looking for a good snow map for a planned project but unfortunately the ported A2 maps (Thirsk for example) lack some details like grass etc. in my opinion. But Helvantis looks really great, keep up the good work!

Jinouga - I'm not sure, I haven't experienced any framerate issues like what you describe. Try redarmy's suggestion, as it seemed to help him out.

IndeedPete - Thanks very much! Glad you enjoy it.

1. Game is constantly freezing in main city every time i tested this map (Only arma 3 process termination helps)

2. Game is constantly freezing at loading screen after your press preview. (Happens only if you run this map first in editor)

Sorry but now your awesome map is unplayable!

P.S. Downloaded by PWS.

Just tested. Problem was in AIA. They Updated it, fixed bugs and now everything is OK. no more freezes and CTD

Edited by Gorogon

Hey man!

Played around with the map a little bit more and actually started to develop some snow units for it. However, I seem to have slight troubles with the lighting of Helvantis. See these two shots below, taken without any effects (well, the snow script aside):

2015-01-08_000018zudr.jpg 2015-01-08_00002xhux3.jpg

I find my snow camo turns a bit too much into grey (at least on the Hunter and units). I've fiddled around with ppEffects and use this one to lighten it up a bit:

"colorCorrections" ppEffectEnable true;
"colorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [1,1,0,[0,0,0,0],[2,0,0,1.25],[2.5,-2.5,0,0]];
"colorCorrections" ppEffectCommit 0;

The results show some improvements, they're less grey (a bit too bright actually):

2015-01-08_000032qu1t.jpg 2015-01-07_00013nyudc.jpg

Lastly, this shows how they look under "lab conditions", i.e. in the virtual reality environment (without ppEffects). A bit whiter than on Helvantis.

2015-01-08_00004pbuhu.jpg

Not sure if I should brighten my units or just cover it with ppEffects when developing on Helvantis. Also, it's not really a complaint, just what I've noticed. (Maybe I'm horribly colourblind or my display is crap and I'm the only one seeing a difference.^^) Playing more around with the map I find it a bit dark, however I haven't tried much yet so I can hardly give you a solid recommendation.

Just tested. Problem was in AIA. They Updated it, fixed bugs and now everything is OK. no more freezes and CTD