Sign in to follow this  
dram

Take On Mars 'Survival/Multiplayer' update

Today we deployed a major title update for Take On Mars - our Early Access space exploration game. Highlights of the update include the addition of multiplayer, which enables players to establish the first human colony on Mars in co-op, plus the update implements the first survival gameplay elements.

In multiplayer, people have to work together to build a self-sustaining habitat on the Red Planet. One of the key challenges there will simply be surviving the harsh conditions on Mars. With various vehicles and high tech equipment at their disposal, players will have to manage their resources, construct (pressurized) buildings, grow food, recycle waste, and conduct various scientific experiments. Multiplayer progress is recorded via a unique ‘viral’ multiplayer save system, which means that whenever someone saved the game, the save file is shared with all the players who are connected to the multiplayer session.

Furthermore, the new update also packs a variety of brand new vehicles and equipment, including a drilling rig, atmospheric processor, material refinery, different types of Astronaut suits, a thruster-powered VTOL aircraft, a fork lift, and many new building parts. Last but certainly not least, a new location has been added: the Apollo 17 landing site on our own Moon.

The complete list of highlights from the Take On Mars ‘Survival/Multiplayer’ update:

• Multiplayer
  • 'Viral' Multiplayer save system (sends save to all connected)
  • Pressurized buildings
  • Drilling Rig, Atmospheric Processor, Materials Refinery
  • 3 Astronaut suits (light, medium heavy)
  • Inventory system (can take off suit, equip tools, eat food, and more)
  • New vehicles (4-seat VTOL thruster-powered aircraft, Fork lift)
  • The Moon location (Apollo 17 landing site)
  • Many new building parts
  • Survival elements (oxygen, food, water, vitamins, and more)
  • Player sounds (grunts, breathing, death, and more)

To enlist as a Rover Operation and/or astronaut, you can pick up the Early Access version of Take On Mars now on Steam and Store.bistudio.com . For more information, please visit www.takeonmars.com and remember to follow Take On Mars on Facebook and Twitter.

Got chills watching the rocket launch, very epic!

Had a rather mean idea, in multiplayer when a player drops his helmet like featured in the video could a rather unpleasant player then take their helmet into the airlock and throw it outside leaving them trapped inside until their helmet is retrieved?

Does TOM have a bugtracker?

I have tried two 'space programs' and in both the UI breaks after a couple of missions (not at the same point), meaning I cant select new missions to go on, control probes\lander's that have already landed, etc.

Got chills watching the rocket launch, very epic!

Had a rather mean idea, in multiplayer when a player drops his helmet like featured in the video could a rather unpleasant player then take their helmet into the airlock and throw it outside leaving them trapped inside until their helmet is retrieved?

Yes, that is possible and I did it to a friend for fun :) Of course returned his helmet thereafter.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

And still no gamepad remapping availible from ingame control customization....

Still on the todo list, though gameplay features hold the highest priority.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Does TOM have a bugtracker?

I have tried two 'space programs' and in both the UI breaks after a couple of missions (not at the same point), meaning I cant select new missions to go on, control probes\lander's that have already landed, etc.

Hmm, which build is this, legacy or main?

Hmm, which build is this, legacy or main?

Main.

EDIT: Happens on the dev branch as well.

Edited by StevoAU

Main.

EDIT: Happens on the dev branch as well.

Ahhh I think I know. Try press the G key. that hides/shows the GUI :)

Please let me know if that does it

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

stream today was so much fun, can we expect yt reupload? :3

I'm hoping so! I want to see it myself :)

Ahhh I think I know. Try press the G key. that hides/shows the GUI :)

Please let me know if that does it

Yep that was it, I must have accidentally pressed it.

Thank you :)

Yep that was it, I must have accidentally pressed it.

Thank you :)

Perfect :)

Hi Dram. TOM is getting better and better with each update. I have noticed that the player's shadow is missing its head though. Is this a design decision or a bug?

Hi Dram. TOM is getting better and better with each update. I have noticed that the player's shadow is missing its head though. Is this a design decision or a bug?

Glad to hear that tpw :) Yeah teh head shadow is a bug. Very minor though, so lower on priorities. Rest assured, it will be fixed. I miss my head's shadow too hehe.

Woah I was really hoping for the Moon a year back, I can't believe it's here!

just opened some old scenario, man spawns without helmet and dies

is it related to being old but mars yard air is bad for people? :cool:

edit: made new scenario, spawned 2 unequipped folks and one with light suit, naked guys died so they dont like air, looks like it and this time light eq guy spawned with helmet so spawning without it has something to do with being old (save/scenario/version). Oh, one naked guy spawned without body. (yes, floating head- Dram watched too much Ghosts of Mars)

Edited by FeltHat

Sign in to follow this