garverick

Arma 3 Sound Missing in Multiplayer

Fact, this has not yet (or ever) been fixed -- it very well seems players can only hear each other fire in the extremely unlikely case of them having the exact same mod set running -- this is a very annoying issue, and potentially dangerous too - since it's difficult to tell if a friendly is shooting at all, leading to impaired decision-making on line-of-fire crossing situations

another fact, AI guns (on Co-Op servers) can always be heard, as well as any vehicle based weapons - whatever that means internally, it may help isolate the cause...

I suppose this could be patched up (crudely) by a mod-based solution, perhaps... it's a most ungainly, unnecessary kludge of a workaround, but one might be able to somehow "listen" for other players shot events (CBA, maybe?) and force some generic "bang" audio to play on each shot, so at the very least you'd hear something, where now there is only misleading silence

this could then be refined as to add distance and environment fx, but nevertheless - it's a hack to try and fix an internal bug with the most awkward lump of scriptly duct-tape.... 

this has been a bug for what now, a year? more perhaps.... I remember this same problem last year, and it's still there, after all that many updates - it seems this one continues to evade any means of resolution

stamp your feet some more,... then make every one run the same mods, and that includes sound mods... its never going to change, ever.

Better yet make a ticket, and see the response you get.

Im actually going to have to agree that having all the same mod set is NOT a fix. I played for hours yesterday with one friend, everything went fin. Tried to play today with a different friend, cant hear his gun sounds/see his animations and vise versa. The truly strange part? He had this problem in ARMA 2 as well. We fixed it in ARMA 2 I just cant remember how. But back to the main point, I have quadruple checked that he and I have the EXACT same mods from the EXACT same people downloaded from the workshop and enabled. As a matter of fact when playing with the friend that it worked with I even had mods that were irrelevant to the mission we were playing enabled that he didnt (just some maps and stuff but still). Im not saying its necessarily a core game problem or something like that, but having the same mod set does not fix it for us.