Sign in to follow this  
Brivime

Defining rivers in L3DT or Terrain Builder

Hey guys, I'm working on a map of my home province and now contested with ISIS, Nineveh in Iraq.

The problem I'm having is with the heightfield in L3DT the Tigris river is rather small (SAT Image of the region I'm using: http://imgim.com/sateliteimage.png)

Editing the Verticle range either has no water in the rivers or the river completely floods into the Grey area on the Sat map (which is Mosul city).

Is it possible I leave the heightfield in L3DT without the rivers and make them in Terrain Builder? I'm not 100% sure how it works I'm going off TeamProSkill's video tutorial so I'm not sure if this would work ok or not.

If not, I'm using the free standard edition of L3DT is there any way to define the rivers from the map and not in 3D Sapphire mode? The terrain around the rivers is too flat for me to accurately make out what's meant to go where.

Hey guys, I'm working on a map of my home province and now contested with ISIS, Nineveh in Iraq.

The problem I'm having is with the heightfield in L3DT the Tigris river is rather small (SAT Image of the region I'm using: http://imgim.com/sateliteimage.png)

Editing the Verticle range either has no water in the rivers or the river completely floods into the Grey area on the Sat map (which is Mosul city).

Is it possible I leave the heightfield in L3DT without the rivers and make them in Terrain Builder? I'm not 100% sure how it works I'm going off TeamProSkill's video tutorial so I'm not sure if this would work ok or not.

If not, I'm using the free standard edition of L3DT is there any way to define the rivers from the map and not in 3D Sapphire mode? The terrain around the rivers is too flat for me to accurately make out what's meant to go where.

so the problem is..and im running into this with our Jalalabad terrain is that the height of the terrain ranges from 500m to 1300m and sea level in arma is 0 meters and below.

so you have two options really(since pond objects are broken in a3)

you can lower your terrain min/max heights together to try and then carve out where the rivers are actually located and hope you can get them in or just carve them out and leave them dry and hope bis fixes the water issue.

in my case I did try to lower the terrain altogether but it still left me with the right side looking ok but the left side of the terrain then still rose very high above sea level and the rivers would have needed to become canyons to get water in them

we choose to for now just carve the rivers in the normal heightmap and leave them dry. hopeing that bis fixes the issue or we can figure out a better work a round

so the problem is..and im running into this with our Jalalabad terrain is that the height of the terrain ranges from 500m to 1300m and sea level in arma is 0 meters and below.

so you have two options really(since pond objects are broken in a3)

you can lower your terrain min/max heights together to try and then carve out where the rivers are actually located and hope you can get them in or just carve them out and leave them dry and hope bis fixes the water issue.

in my case I did try to lower the terrain altogether but it still left me with the right side looking ok but the left side of the terrain then still rose very high above sea level and the rivers would have needed to become canyons to get water in them

we choose to for now just carve the rivers in the normal heightmap and leave them dry. hopeing that bis fixes the issue or we can figure out a better work a round

Thanks, I assume this can be done within Terrain Builder, not L3DT?

Well lowering the terrain as a whole should be done in l3dt. Making small adjustments can be done in tb/buldozer using the brushes.