Sign in to follow this  
GrumpyRhino

[SP] Valley Of Fire

Leading a small squad, you must decide how to destroy an enemy comm station. When the comm station is destroyed, you will join a larger combat squad, and together you will eliminate all enemies from the valley.

Your primary role in the battle in the valley, will be to apply medical assistance to soldiers.

The mission will autosave after insertion into the valley. All other saving has been disabled. If you find it too difficult, you can activate a "no damage" mode. Press 0 - 0 - 1 to activate (radio protocol Alpha).

Estimated playtime: 15 - 30 minutes. Depending on number of reverts.

Steam link.

This mission will be part of my Full Contact Safari mini campaign for the MANW contest.

I tried this mission only today, and I am sorry to report that it has some serious bugs that kill it even if the well-voiced intro looks so promising.

1) The CAS option does not work - the planes appear but they do not drop any ordnance.

2) When I use Satchels, my team suddenly kills me, even if I make sure all my team members are safe from the blast.

3) Civilians sitting idly around in a firefight are quite an immersion killer.

@mathias_eichinger As much as I love seeing bug reports on these forums, I've seen several from you recently for various missions that haven't been updated in 2-3 years. Even missions not supported as of 6 months ago would likely have problems.

As sad as it is for missions to die because authors have moved on, it's an unfortunate part of the platform we have to accept.

So... what kind of cutoff date would you suggest? I don't play ArmA3 each day, so the pile of undiscovered rough diamonds could be high, or so I thought....

I have no idea man. Over in Addons & Mods Complete I remember one time they shut down some thread once it was clear the author wasn't supporting the mod anymore (was it AiA maybe?).

I'm not trying to be mean or even telling you what to do or not do (by all means, I'm sure some old gems still work fine!). I'm just saying, as a mission maker myself, I have a hard enough time keeping things up-to-date even between individual platform updates, which are basically every 6 weeks. 

Most of my "old" missions (that I never released) won't even open in the editor anymore due to errors.

I know it's sad but with an ever-evolving game like Arma, which is highly unique in that sense, mods and missions just die and trust me, it kills me too. We've lost some good ones (WLA, Hunter Six, CAF Aggressors, etc).