granQ

Tutorial: Making roads in Terrain builder

Part 4: Config

Last thing we need to make sure is to get the roads working ingame.

In your island config make sure you have this (with your correct paths of course)

newRoadsShape = "\sfp_roso_c\data\roads\roads.shp";

All done! :)

Erm can I ask sir/madam where is the island config located. at the moment I am having the following problem

"Surface not found - Shape layer "dirt roads" : surface "dirt" in mapframe "fortcarver" was not found. Shape layer surface was reset"

Help, would be lovely.

I'm assuming that abc_sample is the terrain that you are packing. If you're using the standard roads then the only other thing that should be required is that you have a file called "roads.shp" in the folder specified on that line. That should be the only requirement.

There is... :(

Can you post your editor.sqs with the line to your roads in buldozer? Also can you post the location that your WRP is saved to?

I know it's an old thread but I'm at the same point like kykce: I see the roads on Buldozer but not ingame. 

any way to fix it?

Fixed!

I know it's an old thread but I'm at the same point like kykce: I see the roads on Buldozer but not ingame. 

any way to fix it?

Do you have it in your config.cpp?

newRoadsShape = "\rof\rof_kintyre\data\roads\roads.shp";

Has anyone got a working method for the ground under the roads, to flatten.

Ive tried with TERRAIN PROCESSOR, it goes through the action of doing it but does nothing to the terrain.

Ive tried with TERRAIN PROCESSOR, it goes through the action of doing it but does nothing to the terrain.

Did you import the file that terrain processor makes into Terrain builder, then rebuild terrain in mapframe properties?

Did you import the file that terrain processor makes into Terrain builder, then rebuild terrain in mapframe properties?

Yes imported new height map and refreshed it.

Then hit rebuild, still no joy.

Yes imported new height map and refreshed it.

Then hit rebuild, still no joy.

I had this on my map, I had to import the shape file into global mapper, then export it from that. Then load that file into TP. I don't know if its to do with having loads of long roads or something? Every test map I've did since I've never had trouble, but they have been a lot smaller...

• Like 1

Export your height file from TB, use that as the source for TP, don't use the source files that you imported to TB.

Then after TP you import the newly created height file that TP exported, refresh and rebuild, job done.

It does work without needing any additional software.

• Like 1

That's the thing sometimes it don't! I had random roads that would just not flatten, no matter how many times I ran it through TP. Loaded up the shape file in global mapper then exported and used that file and TP did it fine. I'm not the only one to have had to do this, TP is just a buggy mess. It crashes randomly and you don't even get a error message lol

TP is just a buggy mess. It crashes randomly and you don't even get a error message lol

Very true, I found doing smaller sections of long roads works, then manually smoothing any joins with L3DT if required, depends how long your roads are.

Forests are even worse, large sections or tight clusters is a nightmare.

Export your height file from TB, use that as the source for TP, don't use the source files that you imported to TB.

Then after TP you import the newly created height file that TP exported, refresh and rebuild, job done.

Yeah, a lot of this confusion comes from the fact that BI documents the need of third party software on the BI wiki https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Terrain_Processor:_Tutorial  

So many great tips in this short thread. Thank to the more experienced for hanging around!

If so make sure the snap button is on and the vertices are near each other. Select the two verts and right click then select join selected vertices

...You don't even really need to right click/snap, all you need to do is drag one point in close proximity, and it will "snap" right to it. New feature in the latest update?

Note: for those just learning (like me), the "snap" feature in on the top bar menu and looks like a magnet. 

question related to this thread:

I am drawing one of the main roads, which is quite long. As I am clicking my point, my shaky mouse finger suddenly "creates" the road before I am finished laying it out. Since I have snapped all of the segments together, is it possible to group them so that it becomes one road, and if so, how? or......if I accidently create the road before I am finished, how can I resume that road?

I wonder if it would be possible to disable the "double click to finish" feature and change it so that you have to hit "enter" to finish a line or shape poly in futer BI tools updates?

Maybe I'll drop a hint on that forum.

You click the end dots of the roads you want to join, then right click and do "join" it joins it into one. :)

12 hours ago, jonnyetiz said:

What about making roads with e76? And crossroads?

e76 are objects, not shapes so you'll have to treat them as such and line the crossroads up manually using the right object for the job.

On 20.07.2014 at 3:29 PM, jens198 said:

OK, I reworked my map and have now everything set to 200000e and 0N. Made my roads layer, did a polyline road and set the database entries as desired. The current result is, that I can see the shape of the road on the ingame map, but I get an error on loading the map, that "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_roa d_end_ca.paa" is missing. Once the map is loaded, I can see the road ingame, but of course the texture is missing.

Any ideas?

Jens

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem as Jens198. When launching buldozer I get the 'cannot load texture a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_road_end_ca.paa.' There should be no typos in RoadsLib.cfg (I've copied the file granQ has kindly provided in this topic), so what could be the cause? I've already checked if I followed all the steps mentioned above, but everything seems to be in order. I would be grateful for any advice.

EDIT

Nevermind, solved. A simple rookie mistake, as I thought. Buldozer could not load textures, because there was no a3 folder in my p:\ drive. I'm following Atlas guide and for some reason exporting game files wasn't mentioned ;) Everything works now.

Use the forum search engine and I can not find anything to help me, I do not know if it is appropriate to create a new post ...

I follow all the steps of several tutorials and I can not see the roads in the game, nor does it appear any error

Import roads from QGIS (downloaded from openstreetmap, through Global Mapper)
cziQzOK.jpg

Then delete all the unnecessary fields and add the ID
f3cEEVa.jpg

Copy the RoadsLib.cfg from Stratis

class RoadTypesLibrary
{
    class Road0001
    {
     width = 14;
     mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_highway_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
     mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_highway_end_ca.paa";
     mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_highway.rvmat";
     map             = "main road";
     AIpathOffset = 3;
	 order=1;
    };
    class Road0002
    { 
	 width = 10;
     mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_road_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
     mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_road_end_ca.paa";
     mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_road.rvmat";
     map             = "road";
     AIpathOffset = 2.5;
	 order=2;
    };
    class Road0003
    {
	 width = 10;
     mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_road_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
     mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_road_end_ca.paa";
     mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_road.rvmat";
     map             = "track";
     AIpathOffset = 2.5;
	 order=3;
    };	
	class Road0004
    {
	 width = 10;
     mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadconcrete_city_road_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
     mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadconcrete_city_road_end_ca.paa";
     mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadconcrete_city_road.rvmat";
     AIpathOffset = 2.5;
	 order=4;
    };
	class Road0005
    {
	 width = 7;
     mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_path_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
     mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_path_end_ca.paa";
     mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_path.rvmat";
     AIpathOffset = 2;
	 order=5;
    };
	class Road0006
    {
	 width = 7;
     mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_path_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
     AIpathOffset = 2;
	 order=6;
    };
	class Road0007
    {
	 width = 7;
     AIpathOffset = 2;
	 order=6;
    };
	class Road0008
    {
	 width = 7;
     AIpathOffset = 2;
	 order=6;
    };
};

Export shapes from TB:
ABU4Clb.jpg

and I added the following line in the config.cpp:

newRoadsShape = "\MLV_San_Carlos\data\roads\roads.shp";

My map is too big (80km) to open in the BD, the roads could be seen loading more small mapframes in specific sectors?

tNuPvw2.jpg

I have my island splited in several addons, can it affect something?

I do not know what I can do wrong, try exporting by layer and by selection, re exporting .WRP, with or without ORDER number, or with ORDER from RoadsLib.cfg

This last file I have to link it from somewhere? Or the ARMA already knows its name and where to locate it?