Igitur

CFS - Custom formations System 1.1

CFS - Custom Formations System
Version : 1.1

CFS is a script addon that enables a player to define on the fly, modify, save and re-use whatever custom formation he can think of. In addition to its main functionalities, CFS also makes possible an interesting and immersive usage of the otherwise useless 'SAFE' combat mode, as the mod allows the player's units to either walk OR RUN, weapon lowered, when in the safe mode while keeping a selected formation.

LIMITATIONS :

1. Once in formation, your units will always try to reach their assigned position, whatever the combat situation, which can sometimes lead to fatal consequences for them. To overcome that issue, you can simply make good use of both the 'FIND COVER' and 'CFS-REGROUP' commands, in combination.

2. I have not been able to access all the commands from the game menus at config level. It is therefore recommended to use the keyboard instead of the mouse wheel to select a menu's entry.

Unlike most of the user-made addons, this mod NEEDS to be installed in the Steam Workshop hidden folder to work properly. Please check out the second video to find that folder in your computer's directory.

USERCONFIG :

As shown in the second video below,  you can configure and save your custom formations once and for all by copy/pasting the formation datas directly from the game into the userconfig. Every new version of the mod will come with a clean file, but steam wont delete the previous version. You can then import your already defined formations by copying your datas in the new file.

Please note that the CFS-UserConfig file MUST stay where it is. Do NOT move that file in your usual userconfig in Arma's main directory.

Creating a formation Library (v.0.3)

Configuring your addon once and for all (v.0.5).

CFS in combat (12 vs 8).

USAGE :

Open the CFS interface at any time via the formations menu : 8-0. Some of the commands displayed are not available for the time being.
Warning : closing the interface with the Escape key may prevent you from displaying it again.

Save As :
Select your units and place them wherever you want. Give a title to your formation then save it in the presets.
Once defined, a unit can leave the new formation four ways :
- either via the regular 'Regroup' or 'Return to Formation' commands,
- or by selecting one of the game's default formations,
- or by being sent somewhere (mouse action button detection only),
- or being ordered to do sth via the menus (engage, heal, etc..). Please use the keyboard instead of scrollwheel+action for those commands. I have not been able to access all of them in the config.
Regroup :
Any previously defined unit can be called back to the selected CFS formation.
SAVE :
Save all the changes you've made in an already defined formation. Modify and repeat as you like.
Adapt :
Adapt to KIA : this command reconstitutes the squad with the remaining units.
HC :
This command creates a new HC group made up of selected units. If you have my HCC mod enabled, you can take HC control over this new group and call it back at will.
HCC : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=562920130
Mode :
Positional : units do not adapt to the player's facing direction.
Directional : units adapt to the player's facing direction.
Sliders :
The Amplitude, Rotation, Translation X and Y sliders are self explanatory. They allow you to change your current formation's parameters on the fly. You can reset or define each parameter individually by using the checkboxes left and right of each slider. Just define all new parameters at once with the general 'SAVE' button if you want to save your changes as the new default formation.
The 'Direction' slider enables you to define the default facing direction of each unit individually.
Datas :
This command display your current formation significant datas and let you copy/paste them in a config file to make them available in the presets once and for all (video 3).
Swap :
Select 2 units and swap their positions.
Combat :
This command is not working yet.

If you're not convinced by the AI behaviour in combat, you can always make a good use of 'find cover' and CFS-Regroup.

Tips and Tricks :

1. This addon enables you to keep your units in formation when walking or running in the safe mode. If you want them to keep their weapon lowered while moving, switch the units stance to Automatic Stance and make sure you have your own weapon lowered.
They may still wait ~20sec before lowering their weapon, and will only do so if no danger is detected.
2. The directional mode is very reactive. Do not hesitate to switch to positional when you think you wont change your moving direction anytime soon.

INSTALLATION

• Like 2

Very cool concept. Will try it out. One of those features I think should have been standard from BIS

Looks promising!

Very cool concept. Will try it out. One of those features I think should have been standard from BIS

A little GUI-tool would have been great to create custom formations by dragging and dropping the units in-game on a small screen - almost like drawing your formations instead of ordering people around by running around.

Version : 05.03.14.

Signed. This version should work in multiplayer.

Code consolidation and cleanup.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

New mod v5.3.14 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@igit_cfs.png

@ Igitur ;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

Oh man, I love it. I have asked how to do this a few times but no one has ever been able to tell me. I also suggested this exact thing to bi when they asked for A3 ideas. I haven't looked at your addon fully yet. But I always wanted to be able to set up my guys where I wan't them, then lock them in those positions, keeping the formation I set them in. Just to be able to do more than bi's ridiculous formation setup. You zero control of where people go.

Bi standard formations clash with the groups they make. When you take a regular rifle squad, you end up with all AT guys on one side, or all autorifleman on one side with their ammo guy 30 meters away on the other side of the formation. Bi's structure sucks. It's based on rank and the order in which you created your squad. You end up with 4 guys ahead of your team leaders. So when squad leader dies, the next guy in formation takes command, not the team leader.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

@Victim9|3 : thanks for the interest shown. Keep in mind that the mod is still a bit WIP as of yet, not finished and probably not flawless. Feedback would be much appreciated, if you're willing to help :).

This looks very exciting, I've been wanting something like this for a long time. Sometimes moving your AI team mates into position is like herding cats.

What I'd like to see in a future update, if you are open to a request, is the ability to create custom formations that are saveable. For example I could make a custom "Ambush" formation or a custom "Defensive Perimeter" (circle facing out). I have no idea how complicated that would be so if I'm talking out my back side with this then just politely ignore :j:

hi igitur,

thnx for releasing this mod. i would try it out today.

I know its the wrong thread, but can you overhaul your stance adjustment revised mod.

see my last post there. much appreciate a overhaul.

thnx johnny

Version : 05.04.14.

. Fixed : units were switching their positions when one of them got killed.

. Fixed : The mod was interfering with the Action, Engage and GetIn menus. Using those menus (keyboard) should now let the unit return to its default formation and perform the action as intended.

. Using the sensitive cursor along with the action key (mouse button) when you're stationary will always let the unit leave the mod and perform the action.

. Exception : you can now order one or several units to get in a vehicle with the cursor and mouse even when moving.

What I'd like to see in a future update, if you are open to a request, is the ability to create custom formations that are saveable. For example I could make a custom "Ambush" formation or a custom "Defensive Perimeter" (circle facing out).

Not impossible, but not easy at all. I'll first focus on making the core system as reliable as possible. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I know its the wrong thread, but can you overhaul your stance adjustment revised mod.

Tbh I have very little time for scripting but yes, I plan to overhaul all my mods when BIS official support is out.

Regards,

Edited by Igitur

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Very excellent! Great job on this.

If you are taking feature requests, I think it would be great to have a "Set 360" formation when halted.

If that's not possible, maybe add the ability to quickly "Set 360 moving":

• Formation File
  • Two units move ahead of player
  • Rear unit, watch direction rear, behind the direction of movement (checking the rear) (which would need to be updated every few seconds)

This would be for close formation moving through urban terrain.

• Like 1

Very excellent! Great job on this.

If you are taking feature requests, I think it would be great to have a "Set 360" formation when halted.

If that's not possible, maybe add the ability to quickly "Set 360 moving":

• Formation File
  • Two units move ahead of player
  • Rear unit, watch direction rear, behind the direction of movement (checking the rear) (which would need to be updated every few seconds)

This would be for close formation moving through urban terrain.

Feint.. as always my friend you are spot on!

Haven't really been playing much in game with squads, since I am engrossed in the SOC MOD. But one thing that I could not stand was the fact that the leader had to lead the squad from the front (hasn't been used since Vietnam). That is so non-realistic that it should have been fixed in ArmA years ago. So as I can see from your video the squad leader can order units forward, but can he lead them in direction by the way he is facing (maybe something like a radio command that can lock and unlock the squad leader to the direction of the advance)? Would make it easier to control the squad for quick changes in direction of advance if there was someway to do this. Would also like to see some Wedge formations and Column with the squad leader in the middle. Keep up the great work..

Did anyone had any success with this?

Doesn't seem to be working.

Is it depreciated?

Thanks!

Version : 0.2

Okay, I bring this old project back to life. The first post has been updated. Please check it out for more info on usage.

Showcase 0.2

Keep in mind that v0.2 is barely more than a test version. It focuses on getting the maths right and has not been checked much further. You may experience issues or scripting errors, thank you for reporting them in this thread.

• Like 1

Updated mod v1.2 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey Igitur , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Version : 0.3. Original post updated.

Creating a formation Library.

Changelog :

1. Added : formation library system + defensive circle preset.
2. Fixed : action mouse button detection was broken due to BIS renaming the action name.
3. Changed : directional mode is now the default mode.

Great!  A dream just getting real.  One thing tho;  Could I get the possibility to make a formation and make them not follow me?  I move independently from them? Can I make a sub-group ,like a body-guard group,that has some 3 members looking behind me at all times (or set on a timer) .

Would it be possible to make pilot in  helo fly at 10 meter and another to fly at any other by setting the slider?  And possibly speed? And move them (kick-out) by another slider?   And point at the helo (context-sesitive) and issue Land?

It would be neat if I can designate 2 drivers in advance of time with a check-box-any cars and helos will get crewed .Just push a button...

Can they be made to make a semi-circle ,pop smoke and make the 2 MG`s move to each side ,all at the same time?  Hot-key the MG`s? So that I can decide how far they go and possibly arch of fire. Possibly move the arch

on it`s own to where I want it ?  Make them use prone and and snap to the surface?

I really love this mod - keep up the great work!

Just my 2 cent  - Thank you.