Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Old Man

Directional Light possible?

Hey folks,

thanks to BI not adding searchlights and other cool stuff for mission makers I wondered if it's possible to create a directional light, similar to the searchlight from A2 or the current weapon flashlights.

Looking at the current light scripting commands there doesn't seem to be a way to create directional light, or am I missing something?

Cheers

You might be able to do something with the two worklights, maybe?

Land_PortableLight_single_F

Land_PortableLight_double_F

The light on the turret of the Hellcat has a very tight beam and is directional. Perhaps see what that uses?

You might be able to do something with the two worklights, maybe?

Oh god yes!

Didn't know about these, exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Sorry to hijack your thread but has anyone seen these in the editor (unit placement)? I can copy and place them from BIS' missions but if I open them to put something in the init and then hit "Ok" they turn into large woodpiles. Wasn't able to find them in any category. (I know I can simply spawn them or use the copy & paste method; I was just wondering.)

Sorry to hijack your thread but has anyone seen these in the editor (unit placement)? I can copy and place them from BIS' missions but if I open them to put something in the init and then hit "Ok" they turn into large woodpiles. Wasn't able to find them in any category. (I know I can simply spawn them or use the copy & paste method; I was just wondering.)

For anyone who wants to know this:

Place a helper object in the editor, like an arrow or similar, then put this in the helper init field:

_lamp = "Land_PortableLight_single_F" createvehicle getpos this;
deletevehicle this

tried it earlier and it should work, don't have access to arma right now ;)

this light will give a decent directional light just as I wanted.

They're definitely not in the editor, and as far as I know they didn't emit light in the earlier versions of arma, a welcome surprise that they do now.

Cheers

Grumpy Old Man - you beat me to it! I plan on using these as a spotlight on a heli. Let me know how it goes and if it works ok!

From what I've seen earlier these won't fit too well as a chopper spotlight since the light distance fades off pretty quickly.

You can use this to force chopper lights on, since currently only player controlled choppers will use headlights.

Might be of use to you:

nul = [] spawn {

while {canmove yourchoppername} do {

driver yourchoppername action ["lightOn", yourchoppername];sleep 0.01
};
};

Sorry to hijack your thread but has anyone seen these in the editor (unit placement)?
They're definitely not in the editor, and as far as I know they didn't emit light in the earlier versions of arma, a welcome surprise that they do now.

CJTF101 Editor adds a lot of "hidden" objects back into the 2D editor, these lamps included. Really handy, and doesn't create a mod requirement in your mission file.

Ah, interesting - thanks. I'll take a look at that!