Sign in to follow this  
byku

New AI difficulty settings

Hello all,

I've got a question about new difficulty settings for Arma 3. In the past I was able to set AI skill from 0.5 to 1(if i'm correct) for blufor and opfor separately. Now I can change AI skill from Novice to Expert and Custom, which i suppose changes skills for both sides(?).

The question is:

What is the ai skill multiplier in corresponding difficulties.

For example:

If i put in editor AI with skill 0.5 and then use NOVICE difficulty - what will it skill be like? 0.5 * what?

Is expert more than what the mission designer had planned?

What about custom?

If I will set everything to 1, then it means the AI will have skill 0.5 or will it have more?

Thanks for answers :).

well the difficulty system is multi tiered.

The actual difficulty levels are defined in CfgDifficulties

class CfgAISkill
 {
//aimingAccuracy[] = {0,0,1,1};	BIS Default dev version 0.72
aimingAccuracy[] = {0,0.2,1,0.45};
aimingShake[] = {0,0,1,1};
aimingSpeed[] = {0,0.2,1,0.6};
endurance[] = {0,0,1,1};
spotDistance[] = {0,0.2,1,0.45};
spotTime[] = {0,0,1,0.45};
courage[] = {0,0,1,1};
reloadSpeed[] = {0,0,1,1};
commanding[] = {0,0,1,1};
general[] = {0,0,1,1};
 };

Each difficulty type, SpottingDistance, Commanding etc are made up of 4 values.

eg skilltype[] = {Minimum Skill level, Minimum skill value, Maximum skill level, Maximum skill value}

This means that for example the aimingaccuracy skill at minimum skill level (0) for the AI will be 0.2

At Maximum skill value the AI skill value will be 0.45

The actual skill level for any given unit is determined by the skill slider position for the unit as set in the mission editor.

So if you set the slider at half way, as per the config example above, your actual skill values would be

aimingAccuracy: 0.325

aimingShake: 0.5

aimingSpeed: 0.4

endurance: 0.5

spotDistance: 0.325

spotTime: 0.275

courage[] = {0,0,1,1};

reloadSpeed: 0.5

general: 0.5

I dont really know exactly how the values for aimingprecision and skill as defined in the Arma3profile effect these values. But I think it is safe to say that they will not alter the value outside of the cfgAiskill minimum and maximum allowed values.

The third way to effect the AI skill is to manually set individual values for each skill type, eg SpotDistance via a script.

This will have the same effect as the general skill slider, but only effecting that 1 type of skill attribute.

eg Unit setskill ["aimingSpeed",0.5]

will give the AI unit a cfgAIskill value, halfway between its minimum and maximum allowed values

In the example config above, this would be 0.4

In addition to all of this, other config attributes, such as camouflage also effect the AI's ability to perceive an enemy.

It gets quite complicated when you start digging deeply

I know this doesn't answer your question fully, but |i hope it gives you a better understabnding