gc8

Strategy - A totally new strategical gameplay

Hi all.
I have released alpha version of the mission that i'm working on. You can already play it but it lacks multiplayer support and has mostly imbalanced gameplay... but about 80% of the features itself are in.

What is it about:

Strategy is a mission where two sides fight over the control of the island (CTI) led by commander who plans attacks strategically and builds bases and other installations for the army.

Players can participate in battles going on by clicking the join unit button which takes them immediately in control of that unit. Player then can fight in every role the unit has E.g. tank gunner or leader of the whole unit.
Leader of unit always has full control of the unit irregardless of commanders orders. E.G. Player could lead a special forces unit and fly it deep behind the enemy lines in order to sabotage enemy installations.

The map has capturable locations like cities that give your army the manpower and other resources such as oil. The resources are needed to build and maintain units.

This may sound like something that has been done before but it's really a new way to play warfare in arma. It features
simulated battles for the ongoing battles in map from which the player(s) is absent.

Features list:

Command and buy and send units to battle
Building new bases and outpost
Join any unit and control it's men though battlefields
Locating artillery and radars in form of an outpost
CAS and artillery support for battles
Special locations either capturable or buildable (such as hospital for less casulties)
Scripted AI that takes cover in buildings and uses terrain properly.
Other AI tweaks that guarantees AI doesn't get stuck etc.
Scripted aircraft takeoffs/landings from carriers.
The simulated battles
Create units with the unit editor and buy them
AI commander that can be played against to
Greatly reduced lag with many units due to intelligent spawning.

Site:

Screenshot links are found at the site! (sites not really done yet, it's just for the links for now).

Download:

No download currently available.

Install instructions:

put in singleplayer folder as theres no multiplayer yet yet.

Play instructions:

When in game scroll the mouse wheel to get action called "Open unit gui". Then press mouse middle click to select.

Pick then unit from the at the left and click "join unit" button.
Or if you want to be a commander click the "Become commander" button.

Remember when part of unit you can press ctrl + T. select which soldier you control.
When in commander press ctrl + space to bring up the HC bar.

Videos:

A short demo video of the battle simulation:

Unit editor (work in progress):

Gameplay video: (sorry about the bad quality and debug stuff)

If you like this idea please donate!

any questions/suggestions please post here. Edited by gc8
version 0.82 released

Sounds good man, so if I get this right you play against the warfare module directly? Eg the warfare module controls one side and does it's thing whilst player controls the other side via HC?

Look forward to seeing something.

Sounds good man, so if I get this right you play against the warfare module directly? Eg the warfare module controls one side and does it's thing whilst player controls the other side via HC?

Look forward to seeing something.

Thanks. I don't know what exactly you mean by warfare module but in this warfare you can play against the AI which is controlling it's units and you as player would be using the HC module to control your units. So yeah player vs AI definitely is one goal of this project.

Yeah this kind of new wrafare is a cool idea, are you gonna put the independant side and let the players play in it ?

Sounds cool, I hope it will be easily configurable for addons so we can play other than Russia Vs America

Thanks. I don't know what exactly you mean by warfare module but in this warfare you can play against the AI which is controlling it's units and you as player would be using the HC module to control your units. So yeah player vs AI definitely is one goal of this project.

Right, I see what you mean, I took the mention of warfare to mean the actual warfare module, still sounds good and look forward to seeing something.

Right, I see what you mean, I took the mention of warfare to mean the actual warfare module, still sounds good and look forward to seeing something.

Right i forgot there's actually a warfare module by bis. this mission doesn't use the module at all, only HC module.

Yeah this kind of new wrafare is a cool idea, are you gonna put the independant side and let the players play in it ?

The independant (resistance) controls the cities at the game start, but yes you can play it. The res is really just side like West and East but with limited resources.. And of course it can be setup anyway you want, like all three sides fighting over control of the map.

and it can be chosen if res can buy any new units at all. and have only the garrison units in cities it occupies. but then it can't really try to regain lost cities. unless the defenders first retreat succesfully and counter attack later on.

Sounds cool, I hope it will be easily configurable for addons so we can play other than Russia Vs America

Yes there's list of the units that are available to be played. I also made automatic loading option so that all available units whether that be from addons or from bis are made playable.

For example the same tank group you can put in editor can be bought in game.

Edited by gc8

Ok thank you ! and good luck for your work, hope to play it :)

A short demo video of the battle simulation:

First gameplay video :) :

(sorry about the bad quality and debug stuff)

First demo release for anyone who wants to test!

;)

Download - alpha demo

(No multiplayer yet just a demo)

Hey gc8, i gave it a real quick look, to be honest i wasnt really sure what i was supposed to be doing :P

Maybe a basic starters guide on how to use the system... or the basics on what player needs to do.

Also the Balota air field is hopeless due to the tree at the end of the runway, the C-130J crashes into it.

Also there is some dialog at top of screen in the beginning, its very hard to read against the sky.

Sorry i didnt really spend a lot of time on it as its hard to drag me away from A3 and the Alive mod :D

Hey gc8, i gave it a real quick look, to be honest i wasnt really sure what i was supposed to be doing :P

Maybe a basic starters guide on how to use the system... or the basics on what player needs to do.

Also the Balota air field is hopeless due to the tree at the end of the runway, the C-130J crashes into it.

Also there is some dialog at top of screen in the beginning, its very hard to read against the sky.

Sorry i didnt really spend a lot of time on it as its hard to drag me away from A3 and the Alive mod :D

thanks Katipo. yeah i was thinking of starter guide... the game has "Notes" section at the map to give you some tips and info about the mission (same as in loading screen). But full guide would be good idea, maybe tutorial at mission start for first time run.....

the airfield on west side is quite poor for AI planes taking off, yeah c-130j doesn't have much change of taking off. there is fallback procedure however that even planes would get shot while taking off the unit where the plane belongs to does get on air, eventually by script setting.

the top dialog is showing your armies resources, money, men, oil etc. maybe your light setting is higher than mine if it's not possible to read.

Hi Gc8, Well i dont think i need a full tutorial, although i maybe wrong. probably just a few graphics explaining what every thing does, im happy to help in some way if i can, like graphics etc, i think the first thing that is required is setting up a base? purchase some units then send units to war?

Hi Gc8, Well i dont think i need a full tutorial, although i maybe wrong. probably just a few graphics explaining what every thing does, im happy to help in some way if i can, like graphics etc, i think the first thing that is required is setting up a base? purchase some units then send units to war?

there actually is base at start. what you need to do is scroll the action menu to open the game dialogs. :) all game commands are found from there. all the colored actions open strategy dialogs.

for now i'll leave you to figure what they all do. i tried to make everything self explanatory to begin with but that depends i guess how well people adapt the idea of playing warfare.

Well... i did open dialogs and created a base and probably some units, but i still have no concept of what/where im supposed to do, or what all the markers mean!? but admittedly it was just a quick run through, maybe when i get time ill load it up again and have a closer look at the dialogs.

Well... i did open dialogs and created a base and probably some units, but i still have no concept of what/where im supposed to do, or what all the markers mean!? but admittedly it was just a quick run through, maybe when i get time ill load it up again and have a closer look at the dialogs.

ok , i should really put some starting guide there and objectives for units that you as player control.... basically the idea is simple you destroy the enemy and you do so first by being stronger than the enemy by holding more locations (cities, resource sites). most of the stuff relating actual gameplay needs to be worked a lot but the basic idea is there... you fight you control you win..

currently there is AI commander commanding your whole army and you as player should join some unit at some point to fight the ground battles. you can also give commands to the army units as commander although there's currently AI commander doing the attack planning.

if you don't know how to command units in HC it's ctrl + space to open HC. then number keys 1-9 to select unit and map (M key) to point and click to give move/attack orders. holding shift while issuing waypoint allows more than one wp to be set.

I still need to work on most of the HC functions , mainly changing them from what they are now because this mission plays differently.

for example you can send paratroopers to location but you also need to set waypoint that is the paradrop wp. this still need to be implemented so that it's easy for the player to control these special troops.

hope that helps :)

Edited by gc8

Ok man i'll give it another try when I have a moment (I just brought Iron Front :D)

I still love playing Arma 2 and generally I like to be part of the action and not so great on the HC aspect.. Just a couple more questions, in the beginning of the mission I spawn at the airport, am I supposed to board the plane and that drops me off to where I need to go, or can I join a group from within one of the dialog boxes.. I'm asking now so i can at least get in the fight :D

Ok man i'll give it another try when I have a moment (I just brought Iron Front :D)

I still love playing Arma 2 and generally I like to be part of the action and not so great on the HC aspect.. Just a couple more questions, in the beginning of the mission I spawn at the airport, am I supposed to board the plane and that drops me off to where I need to go, or can I join a group from within one of the dialog boxes.. I'm asking now so i can at least get in the fight :D

This was designed action in mind. I'm actually looking forwards arma 3 but arma2 has all the cool mods so i started from arma2.

here's quick how to get into fight (if all goes well lol) :

1) scroll the action menu, select "open unit gui".

2) then from the dialog list of units click which unit you want to control. select for example "paratroop battalion 800/800".

3) then click "join unit" button.

now you are sitting in co-pilot seat. the ai pilot is taking off. you can press ctrl + T to open the soldier select dialog and become pilot if you wish.

Once you get on target or near enemies the unit is fully manned so you can ctrl + T again to choose some infantry man of the squad. (which should by now at presense of enemies be parachuting at somepoint)

New release demo V2. Better and with "tutorial" :) . Still many bugs to fix and work to be done for full game to be played against the AI. But definitely something to play if you can figure it out.

v3 released now. bug fixes and you can actually buy units now. before only ai was doing that. ;)

Released version 0.8.

some stuff needs to still be worked on but you can already play around in the battlefield and try to beat the enemy.

feedback is always welcome....

Hello, Now this looks like an awesome mission, however I can't seem to play it as it says its missing addons; specifically something called gnt_b52. Heres the full error

"You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.rktcoaler, gnt_b52"

Now it seems I need a mod or two, but I haven't a clue on which ones. Any help is appreciated.

Hello, Now this looks like an awesome mission, however I can't seem to play it as it says its missing addons; specifically something called gnt_b52. Heres the full error

"You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.rktcoaler, gnt_b52"

Now it seems I need a mod or two, but I haven't a clue on which ones. Any help is appreciated.

hi , thanks for the reply, it seems i forgot to remove the addon requirements. the mission doesn't actually require any mods, i just use some when playing.

i uploaded fixed version now.

hope that one works...

Edited by gc8

nice idea.......good work, keep it up.......