Sign in to follow this  
.kju

Iron Front as mod in Arma 2: Combined Operations

I have a problem with the HUD info flickering with airplanes (doesn't happen with tanks), it happens in both A2 and A3. If I enable Vertical Sync the flickering is gone.

Play withSIX now not only supports launching IFA, and converting and patching IFA,

but also patching the original Iron Front game from 1.0, 1.03 or 1.04, to the required 1.05 version!

Works for both the Disk version as well as the Digital download! As of Play withSIX 1.9.548.11

Great news! thanks for your support and making the vanilla game easier for the new guys, and those who are reinstalling.

2unx75x.jpg

IF manages to defy the Pauli exclusion principle :nener:

I have a problem with the HUD info flickering with airplanes (doesn't happen with tanks), it happens in both A2 and A3. If I enable Vertical Sync the flickering is gone.

I don't encounter that problem. AMD graphics using Catalyst 13.12. Do you get firing artifacts on the Ju 87D?

Edited by Pulstar

I don't encounter that problem. AMD graphics using Catalyst 13.12. Do you get firing artifacts on the Ju 87D?

I have got those firing artifacts too.

I think a simple config modification removing the effect could fix this.. still it's a shame.

Btw why is the mod 3 GB's less than the original game? Does IF use assets found in Arma2?

I think a simple config modification removing the effect could fix this.. still it's a shame.

Btw why is the mod 3 GB's less than the original game? Does IF use assets found in Arma2?

I'm not sure if it actually uses them or not but yes, there are some Arma 2 assets with the original game found in the ...\addons folder. Take a look inside sounds.ifa for example.

Hello everyone and happy new year :bounce3:

I am very sorry for the lack of assistance and responses so far!

The two main reasons were me being gone for a few days and after that all efforts went into

simplifying the setup process. The next community patch should follow very soon.

The latest 1.9 Play withSIX version will take care of patching Iron Front, the conversion process and applying the community patch.

Learn more at the Iron Front in Arma - The easy way featuring a 3 minute video tutorial.

Note: If you have a broken setup and want to use Play withSIX to take care of it,

you need to delete the following modfolders first from your Operation Arrowhead game folder:

• @IF
  • @IF_Other_Addons
  • @IFA3M
  • @LIB_DLC_1

If you still have issues with the install, please post them in this thread.

Finally please understand that the publisher has set the limitations that makes this whole things so complex and hard to handle.

@ Tonci87

Yes

@ Bullet Purveyor

The modsets are just "dummy" containers for correct internal handling.

The A2:CO version might work in SU, if you do the conversion and patching yourself and add the necessary modfolders yourself.

Please read the wiki for details: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/lib-issue-tracker/wiki/Setup_guide_for_Arma_2_CO_version

For A3 you need to use the latest version of Play withSIX. Get it at http://withsix.com.

@ ChrisB

Due to the scripted damage system non IF vehicles cannot damage them.

However I'd prefer to make it compatible. An idea might be a module to disable the IF system or use a different one.

@ OnFire

Please report the IF anims and GUI topics in the issue tracker and I will look into them.

@ Dimitri_Harkov

Unfortunately it seems a late minute change broke something. Should get fixed in the next community patch.

@ Pulstar

Check the first post for benefits. :)

Iron Front standalone contains several A2 pbos. Those are essentially the same as in A2 1.11.

@ domokun

Please check post #32 for an easy setup process. :)

In short why: AWAR works on a new game, IF cannot be sold for A3, the legal situation is complicated.

@ TonyGrunt

Too many FPS? :) Sorry no idea if we can do anything there.

Do you combine it with other mods or pure Iron Front in Arma there?

Can you please provide details and screens/a short video about the firing artifacts on the Ju 87D.

Much appreciated .kju! looking forward to next community batch already :thumbs-up:

;2590662']

@ TonyGrunt

Too many FPS? :) Sorry no idea if we can do anything there.

Do you combine it with other mods or pure Iron Front in Arma there?

Can you please provide details and screens/a short video about the firing artifacts on the Ju 87D.

No extra mods' date=' just running the A2/IF or A3/IF PWS collection. It's more evident when I hit 120+ FPS & VSync off but sometimes I get it even with VSync on.

Video of the Ju 87D firing artifacts in Arma 2.

Perhaps soon someone might consider making a Pershing finally in a WWII sim :O

2ykkvp0.jpg

Perhaps you might consider that the Pershing hardly saw any action in WWII

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M26_Pershing

I think that the devs would be much better off focusing on more iconic equipment that regularly saw action, e.g. Tiger I

IIRC Germans have King Tiger, Panzer IV, Panzer V and Stug 3 as far as tanks go. T34's, SU-2 and IS-2 for Russians. I think Americans just have 1 Sherman.

But there's a more complete list here:

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php/58766-Informations-about-Iron-Front-Liberation-1944

Yep I knew that but to have it as playable would be something. It can go head-to-head against the Tigers and since the game can't simulate technical failures it would be pretty effective unlike its real-life counterpart! I wonder if modders can easily replicate the penetration system envisaged by the original devs though.

This is just me but I would like to see a mini-mod that focuses around a fictional war between the Soviet Union and United States in 1945 or 1946 using Iron Front as a base.

But I would to see a Pershing, because it's almost always overlooked because of it's short service record in the war when it was the vehicle that influenced the design of U.S tanks up to the development of the Abrams.

Edited by (2142)Gen.Reaper

Which tank crews had radio in WWII beside the Panzerwaffe? Also, you get radio messages from infantry.. was hoping for a bit more authenticity. In war films they used to lug around large radios but I guess something like that would require much more manpower than the devs had.

Hi Guys,

@.kju...thank you ! To everyone else who had their hands involved in getting this game moving forward..your all Super Stars !! job well done, thanks guys.:icon_eek:

I have just quickly been playing around in editor and noticed that the Wehrmacht is placed in BluFor and Soviets are in OpFor ?.. is there any chance of reversing this around ?

Thanks guys.

Wehrmacht in the editor is how the Iron Front game is by default, you cant simply just change the them to blufor without having

to change everything else too, its a quite a bit of work to do that.

But thats kju's call, we would need alot more folks who wanted that then just one person, as we are talking a whole game reversal for the factions.

Independent are effected to. Also consider that missions that come with the game wont work properly either in the update.

@ TonyGrunt

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't really have an idea why this happens or how to fix it.

Maybe AiA standalone will help, or IF data needs to be "fully" upgraded to A3 state (rvmat, etc).

@ DogOne

AWAR made lots of their scripted based on these sides/hardcoded them - changing that is possible but quite some effort.

Yeah well, when IF was originally released with eastern front content only, it made sense for Germany to be 'west' and the Soviets to be 'east', right?

Now Germany should be on independent side and the western allies on west...

Anyway, makes no difference at all on which side they are on, right?

I just think that calling the side tabs 'Blue- and Opfor' was no good idea by BIS (since Bluefor is always the side you are playing for, no matter if it's Germany, the US or whoever - so it should change dynamically ;)).

Maybe you could rename them 'Axis','(Western) Allies','Soviets' or something like that?

I guess that should not break anything.

Cheers,

D.

This is a double post from the thread Iron Front as mod in Arma 3. If either one should be removed, I'd like to ask to keep the ArmA III-discussion reply and this one be removed.

Hello community, long time no see!

I made a thread about "Iron Front as mod.." to spark interest in a forum elsewhere. I'll let the same content, although with some minor changes, serve its purpose also in here.

The text in itself is not a bug report of any sort and it might very likely include issues already posted in this thread.

Should there be factual errors I ask to point them out so I'm able to correct them accordingly :)

Open the spoiler tag to see the text:

Made a couple of videos to show Iron Front as both ArmA II & III mod. Both versions have a small patrol mission carried out in one of the smaller towns that is found from Iron Front's largest map, Staszow.

Both missions include the same dynamic patrol where the route of the AI group varies between gameplays. The patrol is created with easy-to-use script from Kronzky that is available for ArmA II & III: http://kronzky.info/ups/

ArmA II & III video settings are set as identical as those were possible to set. ArmA III as later generation game naturally allows for more tweaking with video settings and so is also able to produce more realistic environmental effects. I've noted down some observations from the gameplay after the two videos.

Iron Front in ArmA II:

Iron Front in ArmA III:

Observations during gameplay:

FPS

- ArmA III is showing slightly better performance while playing. While recording the gameplay most of the time FPS was stable 30 (capped to max. 30, min. can vary [i'm using Fraps to record the videos]) although occasional drops to 27-29 were noted.

- ArmA II is worse performance wise with an average FPS of 25 while recording with much more fluctuation around the average (+2, -2 FPS) compared to that of ArmA III's.

- ArmA III is giving much more to look at with less impact in framerates.

Movement

- ArmA III's new stance and movement system is much more intuitive and fluid for CQB, which makes it an enjoyment to play with compared to ArmA II.

Misc.

- With ArmA III ragdoll animations are already present

- Note about ArmA II:

the creators of Iron Front did implement physics to some objects in the game. This has a significant toll on performance (FPS drop) for some seconds and only for the first time the physics engine steps into play.

Example: soldiers might lose their helmets when shot in the head, the helmet goes rolling on the ground 'realistically' (as the laws of physics would dictate) which is causing the FPS to drop for a certain amount of time. As stated earlier, subsequent 'physics events' like the helmet drops do not anymore create FPS drop after the first one.

- Iron Front as a mod in ArmA II still works better "out-of-the-box", like the campaign, native voices of German and Russian in radio communication while as a mod to ArmA III radio communications are spoken in English language (ArmA III default).

Single player campaign (Soviet and German)

- With ArmA III Soviet campaign did seem to work, but some notes follow: all the characters are using the same face texture (this applies to editor made missions too), the main character was wandering around in his underwear while wearing a tactical belt with canteen and a knife (I did only play the introduction mission) probably because of a uniform texture missing.

- With ArmA III German campaign doesn't seem to even want to begin because of a missing texture and no possibility to work around the popping up warning icon (Soviet campaign has a similar problem but that can be overcome just by closing the warning icon).

With these tests I'd still choose to play Iron Front as a mod for ArmA III rather than with ArmA II. Only thing that I haven't yet given a run through is the multiplayer for either version. There seems to be one server for each game but those have been empty so far. If the multiplayer missions and everything including work a'ok ArmA III is the way to go.

Still as the situation stands currently we won't be able to play Iron Front as an exclusive mod to ArmA III, but need also ArmA II to join these two together.

Thanks to all the parties involved in making this possible and for the Community That Made This Happen with their undoubtedly relentless work to bring the old champ back in the ring!

Edited by Amontieri

@.kju and Gunter...

I know its default in IF, I just thought if it was an easy process to switch it around it would give you a lot more factions (from other WW2 MODS ) to play around with in editor, as its stands now

when you place and German from another mod with a German from IF..they shoot each other, I thought if it was an easy process fine.. but I can understand that this could be quite an effort.

Thanks guys.

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Guys,

Also just downloaded your new .."New units and Weapons pack" (612mb)...You really have out done yourself with these new units..amazing and some great looking uniforms !! :rthumb:

The Black SS units, Flak units, Luftwaffe units, 97. Jäger Division, and the rest !! :omg:.. are absolutely awesome, I applaude your work.:clap:

Thanks for your hard work and efforts, well done guys.

I was curious if there was a way to get all of the Iron Front stuff to work as listed as Expansion content. Call me dumb here, but I am in a bit of a pickle; either I run ArmA II with the traditional modset (which I think is too huge for an executable line) or run Iron Front directly for ArmA II. I wish to combine the two, if possible. Adding the folders in the OA directory originally added with the IF conversion cause the game to not load the content. Note, this was BEFORE I patched them, so I'm unsure if they had to be patched.

Guys,

Also just downloaded your new .."New units and Weapons pack" (612mb)...You really have out done yourself with these new units..amazing and some great looking uniforms !!

The Black SS units, Flak units, Luftwaffe units, 97. Jäger Division, and the rest !! .. are absolutely awesome, I applaude your work.

Thanks for your hard work and efforts, well done guys.

Your welcome but this is done by IFR, you want this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171124-IFR-Iron-Front-Revival-Mod-projects-Released&p=2592811#post2592811

The files listed for download are older versions so they have bugs and errors in them still sorry, but expect an update relisting later today.

@Foffy are you referring to IFR releases? or is there some other files termed "expansion" we should know about?

thinking your posting in the wrong thread if thats the case, use the link above, and see what was listed if thats what you had downloaded.

As for your question only thing you need to patch is the IF/arma conversion to v 1.06, and the dlc if you have it.

everything else that is being released after for the conversion namely IFR's work you can just combine and run like a regular mod, as that is what they are a mod, also all the listings are listed for download separately for a reason, as not everyone likes to play the game the same obviously so i made it optional, pick and choose what you want.

Ideally you want a target line like this: -nosplash -mod=@CBA;@CbA_A2;@CBA_OA;@IF;mods

Nono, by Expansion, if you open ArmA II or III, if you make @folders, they often get listed in the Expansion settings in those games. Using the conversion mod created a few of those folders in my Operation Arrowhead directory. If I enable those as expansions, it seems some of the data loads, but not enough; I am assuming those folders don't have all of the files as trying to run any of the content that way causes the game to not load it at all. I wanted to try and load the mod through means of Expansion listings, as I usually boot the game with so many mods for the target line. :P

I can get the menus and images of missions and the like to appear, but literally loading any content this way says I'm missing pbos that are visible in the aforementioned folders.

EDIT: Seems like even if I try running the game through the convertor program, these errors still occur. Did the game have to be patched before the conversion? Because I patched it after...

Edited by Foffy