Dwarden

Arma 3 STABLE Server 2.14 "profiling / performance binary" feedback

NOTE: 2.14. PROF/PERF up! you don't need a new client on the PERF/PROF server!

there is a branch on steam you may use, but beware that sometimes data on Dropbox are newer due to manual build e.g. on weekend:

special profiling Steam branch for Arma 3 following this wiki page :

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Steam_Branches.

In short :

- Right click on Arma 3 in your Steam Library, then Properties

- Select the tab BETAS

- Finally, use the dropdown list to select the branch profiling - Performance Profiling Build

Servers (down, up only if needed):

it's recommended to also use performance client on KOTH CHIMERA EU server(s)!

? servers now test run PERF/PROF branch as part of project "CHIMERA"

running special performance server binary 😉 blazing fast FPS rumored 😉

(compatible with STABLE clients) enjoy and report

PERF = STABLE branch compatible, no debug layer, no #captureFrame nor diag_captureFrame

PROF = STABLE branch compatible, with debug layer, with #captureFrame / diag_captureFrame

possible server fps increases and clients may experience higher fps too

downloads

PROF/PERF client and server are available here :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/3BSy9PdRGm

archive https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B03-H4YIbhkFMUt5RzNqZjFlNGs

active https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15p9j7C2nHUt6NoVfChX4YFuqzFXzblJh

remember to backup arma3.exe / arma3server.exe before replacing with PROF/PERF binaries

note that above URLs for manual download might be overloaded by demand, in such case

you can always use the STEAMclient to switch to profiling branch

(performance binaries are used by default so nothing to worry about)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

and clients report noticeably higher fps too (up to 3x) on both Altis and Stratis

... really 3x ? ... :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: woooow, what is that, unbelievable, just now got +100FPS and that is really not a joke

What crazy bug did you guys found and fixed here?

Edited by Fred41

... really 3x ? ... :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: woooow, what is that, unbelievable, just now got +100FPS and that is really not a joke

What crazy bug did you guys found and fixed here?

that's secret :) now get me these ASM features i asked for ... and i get you more FPS ;)

that's secret :) now get me these ASM features i asked for ... and i get you more FPS ;)

Done deal! :cool:

now get me these ASM features i asked for ... and i get you more FPS

Any particular preset or settings run on the server required to get the test standarised and comparable ?

Where do we get this special performance server binary, or is it just the default arma3server.exe that gets installed with the 1.08 patch?

I'd like to know more about this as well...Can we test this with BECTI?

Just noticed the servers are running Sa-Matra Wasteland...Wouldn't BECTI be more of a test?

Edited by SpanishSurfer

Got a nice FPS boost. How do i activate these special settings on my server?

Edit: Looks like fps get worse as time passes.

Edited by XiviD

I can not belive not everyone and their mother in law are all over this thread.

Have been unable to test myself but can anyone post some definitive results on this please.

Also i feel the urge to ask how, if this works, does it work?

Yeah i wanna now to ^^

At the moment i cant feel something difrent to 1.06.

I ran around on the server for 10 minutes and I get around the same fps as playing Altis life on other servers (25 to 30 fps), around 30 peeps on the server. I messed around with view and object distance and that makes only a few fps difference. My Gcard sux though (need to upgrade) so that is always the bottleneck for me. I only got the 60+ fps when I looked at the sky :)

30fps is playble so I was and still am a happy camper. And I play mostly SP anyways :>

Desktop

i5-3350p @3.10Ghz

6Gb Ram

Win8x64

Geforce GT620 1080p

(tweaks like -nologs enabled)

Testing right now on a old core2duo e8200 without overclock.

I found 22 - 25 fps rock solid even on towns.

A very good first step in the right direction.

I'd like to know more about this as well...Can we test this with BECTI?

Just noticed the servers are running Sa-Matra Wasteland...Wouldn't BECTI be more of a test?

I believe the idea was that the nominally high quality (Dwarden's spoken positively of it) of Sa-Matra's was a factor intended to mitigate "mission coding quality" as a factor in 1.08 server performance.

i plan to use BeCTI when Benny releases new version ... i already ran older it but it was problematic due to some bugs and low interest of players

Just some quick notes on performance based on running around for about 20 minutes, then hopping on a couple other 40-48 player Wasteland servers.

(normal to test server)

FPS: From 30-45 to 45-65 (wooded area is the low end vs open field or looking near the coastline on the high end).

GPU USage: 35-50% to 60-70%

CPU Usage: 40-50% to 60-70%

Overall, things felt more smooth; as if playing a single player mission when it comes to frame rates and smoothness. Although single player i see no more than around 50% CPU usage.

The server side fixes seem to have alleviated some of the CPU bottle-necking going on with the client side, or the CPU is being put to better use from the data it is receiving from the server.

System Specs:

Intel 3570k @ 4.4ghz

CF 7970 @ 1100mhz

32GB 1866 10-10-10-30 ram

Arma 3 addons files on an Intel 520 SSD vs Link Junction

Running the Very High Preset with the following alterations: no blur/Post processing/DOF, 50 Bloom, Ultra Textures/shadows, 200 shadow distance, PIP disabled

Edited by frag85

I was unable to join myself last night, but asked some friends with different builds to try it and they all confirmed (even very) remarkable FPS boost, so I guess you've done something right :)

After a quick go on the test server this does seem better, but it is hard to really know since both servers are running Stratis. That map has mostly been fine for me since release, so I'd like to see Sa-Matra on Altis.

i plan to use BeCTI when Benny releases new version ... i already ran older it but it was problematic due to some bugs and low interest of players

Ran BECTI 0.97 today on Stratis. Full AI and only me as player. Server never dipped below 30FPS (using ASM to monitor) however the CPS hit the floor (0.5 CPS) after about 4 hours and that is with around 300 AI all the time.

CZ01 has now Altis while CZ02 is Stratis

@Kemator i'm waiting for BeCTI 0.98 because of fixes on the scripts etc.

then we will debug the profilling hell off it ;)

How do I get my hands on this? I am on the Seattle Server (Only good BECTI North American server) and the server is full every night. We could provide an excellent testing platform to really see if there is improvement.

I'm just going to say I was extremely sceptical about this. I just gave it a try though, on the server running Stratis and I was getting 40+ FPS in most cases. Much better than any recent MP sessions Iv played (<15 FPS).

I seriously look forward to this server being available for everyone and the other performance patches that seem to be suggested that are coming.

--

Oh also is it possible to know the spec of the server? Just out of pure curisorty.

Edited by Jsmuk

Just to make sure..we talk here of the server.exe that comes with latest stable build (ver 1.8.113.494)- right ?

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

Dorph;2579506']Just to make sure..we talk here of the server.exe that comes with latest stable build (ver 1.8.113.494)- right ?

Nope, it's a different binary.

Hmm so where do we get this to test ?

Also when i see the to BIS test servers, the are running the ver 1.8.113494 same ver as in latest stable build.

Is it only avail through steamcmd?

Edited by [HUD]Dorph