Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 112555 (1.63 build release, not backward compatible)

I'm sure some of my Q's might either be considered confusing or stupid, So please do your best to be patient and helpful, I can call myself a fool if that will stop that from being your reply.

1. For MP Mods like DayZ, this might be considered pretty risky? not running logs on a server, or am I missing something?

2. Is there an RPT file size limit or restriction that would cause new errors to be pushed out of the readable area? or do the files become too large for text editors?

I basically don't "play" arma ever... I configure and test assets and scripts.... so no RPT is pretty much a game breaker for me. Just want to be sure of what I'm getting into if/when I update.

Also is it possible to patch separate installs to different versions?

I have a C: Amazon Disk install and a D: Steam Install, can I patch one w/o concerns of it corrupting my other?

I have tons of problems when/if I update/change DLC's or keys on either of the installs, it cocks up the DLC header decryption stuff for the other install... (i know unrelated).

Thanks for your time and patience in advance.

+1

@Dwarden: Oh came on! Please don't tell me there are no plans on fixing those warnings coming from BIS scripts. We can't develop no more with all those warnings, every time you hit the G key you get one, and many modules produce them too. Besides, in my experience, almost every time I got a warning of an undefined variable, there was a real problem with the code, so thank you BIS, but please debug your own code now.

not sayin it will not be done but i can't promise it, for now i was successful to get you at least this new beta and the -nologos ...

take it or leave it style

Guys, you can easily overwrite the broken scripts in your mission files by including a folder structure and filename exactly of that of the file with the issue.

For example, in order to fix the error in CA/Modules/Functions/init.sqf you simply create a folder structure ca/modules/functions/ in your root of the mission.

You then make a copy of the init.sqf from ca/modules/functions/ (you can use the CMB "Community Modding Bible" for this). You will need to make a copy of the repository on your machine. Then edit the affected line so it is properly written. in init.sqf the affected line is line 28, it reads (broken) as:

if (BIS_fnc_init && !_recompile) exitwith {textLogFormat["PRELOAD_ Functions already running."];};

It should be

if ((!isNil "BIS_fnc_init") && !_recompile) exitwith {textLogFormat["PRELOAD_ Functions already running."];};

It's fairly important to note that you do not need to do anything with this file, just put it in the appropriate folder and the game will take care of the rest.

Edited by icomrade

not sayin it will not be done but i can't promise it, for now i was successful to get you at least this new beta and the -nologos ...

take it or leave it style

I echo others' concerns but I also understand that you now have other priorities

Dev rule #1: Never promise anything ;)

Seriously I'm not sure if the code base is similar enough but is there any chance that you could roll in some of the optimisations made for DayZ standalone?

In particular on the netcode side?

I don't think the probably final patch for A2 should contain anything new that would need another patch for sure.

I echo others' concerns but I also understand that you now have other priorities

Dev rule #1: Never promise anything ;)

Seriously I'm not sure if the code base is similar enough but is there any chance that you could roll in some of the optimisations made for DayZ standalone?

In particular on the netcode side?

try guess why i 'put emphasis' on the 1.63 usage ;) it got some tidbits :)

not sayin it will not be done but i can't promise it, for now i was successful to get you at least this new beta and the -nologos

Should we thank you?

can anyone please answer me if getting the message "Patch 1.62 available at arma2.com" when i enter multiplayer is normal? because i think it should NOT say that at all.

use

"-nopatchcheck"

commandline parameter to disable that annoying message

it's very old param, only new param is -nologs

will 1.63 be the last ArmA 2 patch?

Guys, you can easily overwrite the broken scripts in your mission files by including a folder structure and filename exactly of that of the file with the issue.

For example, in order to fix the error in CA/Modules/Functions/init.sqf you simply create a folder structure ca/modules/function/ in your root of the mission.

You then make a copy of the init.sqf from ca/modules/functions/ (you can use the CMB "Community Modding Bible" for this). You will need to make a copy of the repository on your machine. Then edit the affected line so it is properly written. in init.sqf the affected line is line 28, it reads (broken) as:

if (BIS_fnc_init && !_recompile) exitwith {textLogFormat["PRELOAD_ Functions already running."];};

It should be

if ((!isNil "BIS_fnc_init") && !_recompile) exitwith {textLogFormat["PRELOAD_ Functions already running."];};

It's fairly important to note that you do not need to do anything with this file, just put it in the appropriate folder and the game will take care of the rest.

Good Lord! How comes I never heard of that place?

Thank you very much good sir. Working on it as we speak.

OK, apparently the method described by icomrade doesn't work to override "handleGear.sqf". I mean, I put a fixed version in my mission folder under "ca/ui/scripts/handleGear.sqf", but the game still reads the PBOed one. Any help?

OK, apparently the method described by icomrade doesn't work to override "handleGear.sqf". I mean, I put a fixed version in my mission folder under "ca/ui/scripts/handleGear.sqf", but the game still reads the PBOed one. Any help?

I wouldn't have spent the time posting and describing it if it didn't work. But for some reason it does not work on handleGear.sqf. It must be the way it is called/executed in the configs, with a leading \ in the path.

Edit: I tried redefining the config entry for RSCDisplayGear in a missions description.ext, that did not work.

I wouldn't have spent the time posting and describing it if it didn't work. But for some reason it does not work on handleGear.sqf. It must be the way it is called/executed in the configs, with a leading \ in the path.

Edit: I tried redefining the config entry for RSCDisplayGear in a missions description.ext, that did not work.

Yes, that's what I meant to say: It works for the error you described, but it doesn't for handleGear.sqf. Thanks for the tip though. I thought we had it...

It must be the way it is called/executed in the configs, with a leading \ in the path.

That should be the prob (unfortunately).

;2564244']That should be the prob (unfortunately).

We can't fix it like listed above but we can make a workaround (for the most part). So here's a sub-optimal fix for most errors/spam, BESIDES the initial one (since we can't set the onLoad option before the display is done loading). While we can't fix the initial error we can "fix" the rest of them, reducing spam from on every button click to only on dialog creation.

We can accomplish this by adding this to init.sqf and creating a file named keyHandler.sqf

[] execVM "keyHandler.sqf";
[] spawn {
//diag_log "DISPLAY HANDLER INIT";
waitUntil {!isNull (findDisplay 46)};
//diag_log "FOUND MAIN DISPLAY";
(findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown","_this call keyProcess"]; //YOU WILL NEED TO EDIT THIS IF YOU ALREADY CALL  displaySetEventHandler or displayAddEventHandler for display 46 (main display)
sleep 0.001;
};

The contents of keyHandler.sqf is as follows.

keyProcess = {
private "_handled";
_dikCode = _this select 1;
_shiftState = _this select 2;
_ctrlState = _this select 3;
_altState = _this select 4;
_handled = false;
//diag_log format["DISPLAY HANDLER _dikCode == %1", _dikCode];
if ((_dikCode in actionKeys "Gear") && !_shiftState && !_ctrlState && !_altState && !dialog) then {
	//diag_log "GEAR KEY PRESSED";
	//createGearDialog [player, "RscDisplayGear"];
	[] spawn {
		disableSerialization;
		waitUntil {!isNull (findDisplay 106)};
		_display = findDisplay 106;
		(_display displayCtrl 146) ctrlSetEventHandler ["SetFocus","private [""_dummy""]; _dummy = [_this,""onFocus""] execVM	""handleGear.sqf""; _dummy;"];
		(_display displayCtrl 146) ctrlSetEventHandler ["ButtonClick","private [""_dummy""]; _dummy = [_this,""onLBListSelChanged""] execVM ""handleGear.sqf""; _dummy;"];
		(_display displayCtrl 105) ctrlSetEventHandler ["KeyDown","private [""_dummy""]; _dummy = [_this,""onKeyDown"",0,107,0,107] execVM	""handleGear.sqf""; _dummy;"];
		(_display displayCtrl 105) ctrlSetEventHandler ["LBSelChanged","private [""_dummy""]; _dummy = [_this,""onLBSelChanged""] execVM ""handleGear.sqf""; _dummy;"];
		(_display displayCtrl 105) ctrlSetEventHandler ["LBListSelChanged","private [""_dummy""]; _dummy = [_this,""onLBListSelChanged""] execVM ""handleGear.sqf""; _dummy;"];
		(_display displayCtrl 105) ctrlSetEventHandler ["KillFocus","private [""_dummy""]; _dummy = [_this,""onKillFocus""] execVM	""handleGear.sqf""; _dummy;"];
		(_display displayCtrl 147) ctrlSetEventHandler ["SetFocus","private [""_dummy""]; _dummy = [_this,""onFocus""] execVM ""handleGear.sqf""; _dummy;"];
		(_display displayCtrl 147) ctrlSetEventHandler ["ButtonClick","private [""_dummy""]; _dummy = [_this,""onLBListSelChanged""] execVM ""handleGear.sqf""; _dummy;"];
	};
	//_handled = true;
};
_handled
};

Notice how the file has no path, it is in the ROOT of your mission folder. Also I left the diag_logs in, but commented out, if you need to debug :)

Also I'd recommend editing line 521 of handleGear.sqf to read as an isNil check (since _dofilter will only exist if true).

if (!isNil "_doFilter") then {

Edit: if anyone can find a clever way to get this to work with onLoad then please post it here, so far my attempts have been futile.

(findDisplay 106) displaySetEventHandler ["Load","if (isNil('IGUI_GEAR_activeFilter')) then { IGUI_GEAR_activeFilter = 0;}; private ['_dummy']; _dummy = [_this,'initDialog'] call compile preprocessFile	'handleGear.sqf'; _dummy = [_this,'onLoad'] execVM	'handleGear.sqf'; _dummy;"];

Edited by icomrade

@icamrade: Thanks for taking the time and trying. I still can't believe BIS can't find the 5 minutes it would take for them to fix this. A little dissapointed I must say.

@icamrade: Thanks for taking the time and trying. I still can't believe BIS can't find the 5 minutes it would take for them to fix this. A little dissapointed I must say.

it's more than 5m (quite some scripts affected) and it may be done in future,

but atm the 'staff' who could do this all are all occupied with other tasks (e.g. Arma 3 / DayZ) ...

Can you fix the two that icomrade and I were talking about? That fix would take 5 minutes.

Forgive me, but as a player I don't see any difference in this beta. ArmA2 units still can't use backpacks, AK recoil is still high, T-90 still has no thermals and so on. Am I doing something wrong, or were these issues not adressed.