Sign in to follow this  
nierop

Where are satchels sounds?

I have been using Satchels DynamicRange Sound Addon with all OFP versions before Res.

Now Satchel's cannot be used with Resistance, so other soundpacks have been released (eg. Balltesounds1.0) that are compatible with Res and, importantly, state that they used sounds from Satchels Soundpack. But when I install these packs I find most of my favorite sounds (that i think were absolutely spot-on) missing.

I name some of these that I found impressive in DynamicRange:

-Tank engines

-Tank turret sounds

-Tank Gun Sounds

-Handgrenade explosions

-InfantryGun sounds especially the M60 and PK (I like the sounds in the Amon Sound replacement, but have troubles telling east from west gunfire)

-helicopter machine guns

-helicopter machine gun explosions!!!!

-many more

I can go on and on. So is there anyone that has the original Satchel DynamicRange sounds in a Resistance comaptible pack? I am dying to get my hands on this...

If not, is it difficult to rip the DynamicRange sounds and make a Res-compatible .PBO-file out of these? I would assume this is OK with Satchel as this would be a larger compliment to his work than the other sound add on's.

Eager for your reply....

I agree 100%! It really pissed me off that these other sound packs for Resistance that claimed to use Satchel's sounds, didn't include some of the best sounds. For example the sound of the M60 tank in Satchel's pack is the absolute BEST diesel engine tank sound that I've EVER heard for any tank in OFP. Also the sound of the tank shell's making that screaming sound as they fly over your head is just superbly realistic sounding as are all of the explosions and stuff. Only the sounds in the WWII addon packs and the BW MOD come close.

I really wish Satchel (or someone else) would convert the whole thing to Resistance.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Well, I liked Satchels sounds for OFP, and like you was looking for a version for OFPR.

I can recommend you try Battlesounds 1.0, there is a topic about it on this forum, I think a guy named Moerty did it.

It includes the best combination of all the sound packs, and you will love the heavy MG sounds and the sniper rifle sounds.

Let me see if I can find the link.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=16285

If you don't think those are good sounds for OFPR, then I can't imagine why. smile.gif

The OFP:R experience just isnt complete without the almighty Satchels DynamicRange soundpack.

I tried to have a look at the PBO sound files to see if I could do some straight swapping, but it seems that Satchel really went all-out with the sounds, as he seems to have applied more sounds to certain things than are normally assigned. His Abrams tank seems to have like 4 or 5 sound effects alone, for the engine, the turbo, the wheel treads and other stuff that all comes together to make that amazing sound when the abrams is rolling along, compared to just one or two sounds that are used in other sound mods. This makes it pretty much impossible to do straight swapping, for me anyway, as im a complete beginner.

Im sure other more experienced players and modders understand Satchels tremendous sound mod implementation, it would be great if they could have a go at making a Resistance-compatible version in all its glory.

Im sure im not the only one who is absolutely dying to get Satchels sounds in Resistance.

Ive said it once before in a similar thread and I will say it again, this game is simply not the same without these sounds!

BAM:)

BAM, Satchels old soundpack is really a dinosaur now as it used it's own CFG file. This is a no no for online gam,in as you will probably find out.

I have not noticed any sound limitations in Battlesounds, maybe just the Truck sounds are not changed... but hey.

Have you actually tried Battlesounds 1.0?

Yes, I have tried Battlesounds, but really, its sound are not even CLOSE to the sounds that Satchel had in his add on. If you dont believe me sit in a tank as gunner and move the turret! Shoot and you will hear the empty shellcase being reloaded as if actually happening. Or hear the machine gun of the apache heli when you fire; a bit of a muffled sound (that is the word I think) that takes into account that you are not with you ear next to the muzzle, but you are sitting isolated from the gun in the cockpit.

Man, that sound reminds me of actual apache radio recordings from the gulf war. The gunner targets Iraqi soldier at night using night vision and tells the pilot that he hopes those soldiers stay down so they wont have to kill them (guess they felt the unbalanced gameplay of that war...). Well, when they fired they gun the muffled-nes of sound was apparent.

Eh, I get a bit carried away.......

I mean Satchel gave all sounds in OFP a "real" appearence. The other addons give all gunfire engine sounds, releading  etc a bit of a flat, movie-like feel. Oh my god, play the Battlefield mission an hear a M60 MG being fired next to you... OFP cannot do without I think.

Please, please, please, some of the experienced mod-ers make a conversion

And regarding the edited config.file hope you can make the coverted DynamicRange addon also without a modified like the others. Or is this where DynamicRange got its quality from?

Oh yeah, did I mention the alarm sounds when your helicopter was damaged and crashed...?

<sigh>

Okay, you have convinced me, there were a few little things better in Stachels sounds, but how about the sniper rifle sounds in Battlesounds?

There are pluses and minuses I think. I love the MG sounds (muffled) as they do not give me a headache. I run 7 speaker 'towers' ... 5 channel SB live 5.1, and I was really being punished by the MG's and Sniper rifles before Battlesounds. Now the muffled sound makes the floor shake, giving me the feel of explosive pressure(sorry I fail my exam, forgot the term). While the sniper rifle sounds like a beauty!

I think a new CFG would probably be required for adding more sounds per vehicle. sad.gif

SATCHEL: if you are reading this thread... interested in making the sound replacement for Resistance? without cfg?

sachtels soundpack was the best one and still is the best... i absolutly agree with you.... but its only for 1.46 sad.gif*whining*

many other soundpacks are good too... but they often took some of their sounds from sachtels (i dont know if with permission or without)

hope sachtel or anyone else will make dynamic range compatible with res

ps: my favorite sound was the black hawk sound... its many times better than the original sound for the uh-60

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

The Sniperrifle sounds in Battlesounds are one of those sounds that Munger ripped from Satchels DynamicRange add on. But the M60 sounds I was whining about are also in Battlesounds.

Ok ok, admit you lost.....  wink.gif

Now, SAAAATCHEEEEELLLLL please make your sound addon compatible with Res for us???

I liked Satchel's sounds, but his gun sounds were not the MOST realistic, IMHO. The M16 sounds should be something more like the ones in AA, and the AK sound should be like in Global ops or hitman. Also the m60 (mg) sound should be a thump, like in hitman 2. Seriously, the AA or Global Ops sounds are the best, since they are actual recordings of the guns. Currently, I have my own-made soundpack, which has satchel's engine sounds, his m2 sound, the AA M16 and AK47 sounds, Hitman2's M60 sound, and the helo sounds are ones from other games and movies.

So USMCSniper, do you feel like sharing your personalized sound configuration? I am really interested in sounds with a nice feel to them.

It will be highly appreciated.

Lost what?

What's the point, I never noticed those sounds in the Satchels addon. Primairly because the addon is so useless in multiplay, I had to give up on it fairly quickly.

I was thinking some of you making major complaints might accept Battlesounds for now as it's a replacement and is very good (whatever you say it's still very good). Also I thought some of you haven't seen Battlesounds, was I right? Wait I could lose again!

So, I wasn't arguying, just wondering why you are not satisifed with Battlesounds, and I think I don't remember every sound from Satchels addon. Battlesounds is in my opinion the best out there for OFPR, I suggest asking Satchel for better, or do it yourself, and use Battlesounds for now. wink.gif

See where I am coming from now?

Yeah sure, but I have no place to host it. sad.gif

Oh, and I still need to fix some stuff. (loop sounds, and some helo sounds.)

I also need to find out why the ak74 fullauto sounds different than in AA.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Aug. 24 2002,22:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah sure, but I have no place to host it. sad.gif

Oh, and I still need to fix some stuff. (loop sounds, and some helo sounds.)

I also need to find out why the ak74 fullauto sounds different than in AA.<span id='postcolor'>

Once you are finished just make a quick post in here, I'm sure someone will be willing to help you out smile.gif

EDIT: Munger's sound pack ain't bad, but it ain't Satchel either. The M16 and Ak sounds are horrible (IMO), the truck sounds weren't changed, the tanks sound a bit dull.....it just ain't Satchel's sounds sad.gif

Okay lets clear this up since I didn't put it in the readme for Battlesounds.

Satchel's Dynamic Range mod was and is the best available for the original OFP. This is because he created a custom config.cpp file which allowed him to use several samples for just one event, and apply them so that pretty much every action in the game had it's own sound. What this meant is that he could make say, the Abrams sound extremely realistic. He had an Abrams turbine sound, an internal engine sound, an idle and active engine sound, a genuine Abrams 120mm gun reload sound from within the tank, an Abrams hatch opening sound, an Abrams turret turning sound... the list goes on, and this is just for one vehicle. Now lets compare this extensive selection to what's allowed if you use the OFP standard (which I did). The Abrams has an engine sound and a track sound. That's it. And all of these sounds are shared with at least one other vehicle in the game, and typically several. So whilst Satchel had as many samples as he wanted to play with, I had to use the best possible combination which would suit every vehicle/weapon/whatever that used it. Thus nothing sounded as good. It's a compromise forced by the limits of the OFP engine.

I'm not going to defend my choice of samples because I realise that sound effect quality is totally subjective and I could never hope to please everybody. Some people want it absolutely realistic, others like a more 'Hollywood' style. I made a soundpack that used sounds which I personally thought were good and made the game sound a lot better. Others will either like it or hate it, as has been seen already in this thread. One thing I will say though is that almost all of the sounds Nierop complained about in my pack are from Dynamic Range and are exactly the same in Battlesounds. This includes the tank turret sound, some of the engine sounds and the hand grenade explosion. Some are slightly different (e.g. the M60) because of the way OFP handles sounds, but most are identical. Also, the tank reload sound is not from DR but is a real main gun reload effect taken from inside a modern MBT. Thus I would ask that people make sure they definitely know what they're talking about before they post a complaint.

so why exactly wont Satchels pack work in Resistance, I mean cant you change the cfg files to v1.76 just but editing the numbers or is it something else?

DR could be changed to work with Resistance but only in single player - multiplayer is fundamentally unstable when someone uses it and it can even crash the server, disrupting not only your own but everyone else's game as well.

BTW, creating a version of my soundpack which uses Satchels assault rifle sounds for those who would like it would be very easy and I would do so except that I have nowhere to host it. I have also updated Battlesounds to v1.1 recently but again I have nowhere to host it. sad.gif

So, Munger, what you're saying is that you CAN in fact use satchel's sounds in resistance just not in multiplayer? I would be very interested in trying to do this. It is, just like everyone else here's, my favorite soundpack. If not, I'll stick with battlesounds, which i agree with bn880, it's the best pack for resistance.

Ok Munger, the negative vibe I created towards your sound add-on might arise from lack of understanding from my side of how these add ons actually work. When you tell me that Satchel broadened the possibilities by using a custom config file, but at the same time limited the use of the pack in MP games, you give me insight into the choise that you made with Battlesounds. I truely understand and respect that choise so now I can also have custom sounds without the "xxx uses a modified Config file" message.

So excuse me for this bit of a flame towards you. My fault...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Munger @ Aug. 25 2002,05:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, creating a version of my soundpack which uses Satchels assault rifle sounds for those who would like it would be very easy and I would do so except that I have nowhere to host it. I have also updated Battlesounds to v1.1 recently but again I have nowhere to host it.  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Just make a new thread here, titled "looking for host - new sound mod" or something like that smile.gif

Is there anyone who would/could edit the original Satchel sound mod to work in OFP:R, even if its only for single player mode?  I myself have a crap internet connection and I play singleplayer 99% of the time anyway.

Yes, I have certainly tried the Battlesounds sound mod, and it is very nice, especially the tree falling over sound.  However, as you say, its pretty impossible to please everyone with every sound that is chosen.  The main prob I have with just about every sound mod ive used apart from Satchels is the lack of distance from which certain sounds can be heard, particularly vehicles.  When you see a tank or other vechicle driving around only a few hundred feet away, you still expect to hear a decently audiable engine sound, but many sound packs really dont seem to achieve this, either the sound is really low, or you cant hear it at all which REALLY has a negative effect on the atmosphere and realism of the game.  

Im still not sure how this works and why Satchels vehicles sound better at long range, is it simply due to the individual vehicle sound effects being higher volume in Satchels pack, or are there variables that are used in the engine which specify the maximum sound distance for each vehicle?  

In V1.46 I remember setting up a custom mission in Malden where I set the draw distance to 3000 then had a platoon of tanks over a distant moutain then set them to come towards me.  With Satchels pack, you could hear the tank engines from miles away and no other pack ive tried passes this test.

To try and fix this, I tried editting the Battlesounds sound mod by taking tank engine sound files out and amplifying them, then putting them back in the .PBO, but this didnt seem to effect the volume at all, even though my amplification increase should have been clearly evident?

Anyway, the bottom line is that I think it would be great if Satchels sound mod was made to be compatible with Resistance, even if it was only compatible with single player mode.

Ok I will shut up now:)

BAM.