Sign in to follow this  
Cathrynn

Breath holding and using TrackIR to aim

Sometimes when standing still I tap the right mouse button (m/b) to put my weapon up at the aim, I then hold the left Alt key down to simulate me twisting my body and aim without my feet moving, the only trouble with that though is when I press and hold the right mouse button so I'm holding my breath I'm not able to - my view zooms in OK but for some reason I cannot hold my breath to steady my aim. A bug?

What I'd *really* like to be able to do though, after I've tapped the right m/b, is be able to turn my head using TrackIR and have my weapon and aim automatically move with my head movement instead of having to remember to hold the left Alt key down: but if I haven't tapped the right m/b then TrackIR should only move my head as normal and not my weapon and aim.

Aim with your face? :) I've found that to be very irritating in the past.

Have you tried using a large deadzone? That sounds more like what you wish to happen.

Aim with your face? :) I've found that to be very irritating in the past.

Have you tried using a large deadzone? That sounds more like what you wish to happen.

My reasoning behind using my head to aim instead of the mouse is that when my rifle is shouldered and I'm looking down the sights it's what my eye is looking at that determines where my rifle points. I've never tried aiming with this huge planetoid of mine instead of the mouse in other games so maybe it sucks the big one, just figured it might be more intuitive.

I don't use dead zone, that's not what I'm looking for.

Edited by Bear

If you get it to work, you'll wish you hadn't bothered. The resolution of TrackIR isn't nearly good enough to aim the weapon. You'll miss your target every time.

It's best to have TIR move the head and mouse move the weapon.

If you get it to work, you'll wish you hadn't bothered. The resolution of TrackIR isn't nearly good enough to aim the weapon. You'll miss your target every time.

It's best to have TIR move the head and mouse move the weapon.

Good point and something I had not thought of. Thanks guys. I'll shut up now. :)

I use trackIR to bring up the sights by bring up my face to the monitor (temporary optics I think), with zoom also, because basically that's what I did anyway when trying to shoot far enemy.

I don't use dead zone, that's not what I'm looking for.

Aww come one, give it an honest try for a day, to get used to it. There are advantages to using deadzone once you're used to it.

I use trackIR to bring up the sights by bring up my face to the monitor (temporary optics I think), with zoom also, because basically that's what I did anyway when trying to shoot far enemy.

Oh! Good thinking! I do use it for some, but combining it with temporary optics is a great idea.

I have just one question for you guys who use tracker IR; Do you ever get really irritated with it, take it off and say screw it, and just use keyboard and mouse only? I could say for sure that tracker IR would get on my nerves after a time. So I'm afraid to spend the money on it, only to have it just sit there. Like after a hard days work, I get home, crack a cold one... would I really feel like messing with this tracker IR?!

Cheers,

Iceman77

Edited by Iceman77

I have just one question for you guys who use tracker IR; Do you ever get really irritated with it, take it off and say screw it, and just use keyboard and mouse only? I could say for sure that tracker IR would get on my nerves after a time. So I'm afraid to spend the money on it, only to have it just sit there.

Not at all. It took time to get it right, but now, I can't be in game without it.

I have just one question for you guys who use tracker IR; Do you ever get really irritated with it, take it off and say screw it, and just use keyboard and mouse only? I could say for sure that tracker IR would get on my nerves after a time. So I'm afraid to spend the money on it, only to have it just sit there.

My only complain is when you get used to it, theres not turning back... other game without trackIR just doesn't feel the same

You know, I'm in two minds again. I know this isn't very scientific but I decided to stick a vey small piece of Blu-tack to the middle of my screen before doing some test's in game with TrackIR, setting up various static and moving infantry at different ranges using, first, the default TIR profile and then the TIR one to one profile. The default profile wasn't that good even when I used TIR's precision mode but then when I switched to the TIR one to one profile it was much better and I found I could aim at the static and moving targets, when zoomed in or otherwise, just as well as I could with my mouse.

The thing is I doubt this would ever get implamented as I'm fairly sure there's not that many people using TrackIR.

Not at all. It took time to get it right, but now, I can't be in game without it.

Ahh okay. So it's something you can't live without once you use it. Cheers.

No, quite the opposite. I mostly get annoyed in other games when I try to turn my head and it doesn't work. ;)

The main thing I dislike about TrackIR is that there is no wireless clip for my wireless headset.

No, quite the opposite. I mostly get annoyed in other games when I try to turn my head and it doesn't work. ;)

The main thing I dislike about TrackIR is that there is no wireless clip for my wireless headset.

Yeah, I know what you mean about missing TIR in other games.

I've heard of some people that swear by using a small usb battery pack stuck to the top of their headsets so that the track clip pro then becomes wireless.

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Aww come one, give it an honest try for a day, to get used to it. There are advantages to using deadzone once you're used to it.

I've tried using dead zone before and I don't like it, not my thing.

I have just one question for you guys who use tracker IR; Do you ever get really irritated with it, take it off and say screw it, and just use keyboard and mouse only? I could say for sure that tracker IR would get on my nerves after a time. So I'm afraid to spend the money on it, only to have it just sit there. Like after a hard days work, I get home, crack a cold one... would I really feel like messing with this tracker IR?!

Cheers,

Iceman77

In my experience: it takes about half a day to get used to it, at first you're flapping your head all over the place until you learn about TrackIR response curves etc, then you're set for life :) If I ever play without it, I'm feeling restricted (and I still flap my head around trying to make it work when it's not there....:))

One thing that sometimes does make me want to not use TrackIR for Arma is when the FPS are too low. I find if your FPS are struggling online etc at about 20fps or lower, it just is not nice to use. Same with most games though. But I'd be more likely to play a 1st person shooter game at lower FPS than say, a flight sim or racing sim.

But when its running smooth it's really immersive.

The only other irritating thing is the wire, if you use the Track Clip Pro ( which is way more accurate than the hat). They really need wireless TrackClip Pro. It's also extremely fragile.

I loved my TIR for a while - but now for some reason it spazzes out when I look right, and then shoots my view straight up. Getting very annoying - to the point I stopped using it. Which is a shame, as I *really* liked it.

It's also extremely fragile.

Hello there

Apparently the new sturdier version has been shipped.

I use the trackclip and facetracknoir, but have not got it satisfactorily set up in a2/a3 for flight sims its great.

Rgds

LoK

I loved my TIR for a while - but now for some reason it spazzes out when I look right, and then shoots my view straight up. Getting very annoying - to the point I stopped using it. Which is a shame, as I *really* liked it.

That's either... the receiver losing track of the emitters. Make sure the emitters are within the housing and working. Sometimes the LED falls out of it's holder

and Also make sure the receiver sees the dots in the middle of the camera view.

Oh and make sure it's set to look for a tcpro, an not a normal clip

I'm using the trackclip pro (with IR LEDs attached to a headset) and I've had sunlight reflecting off vehicles come in through my door to distract my TrackIR camera, and two different house lights that gave off enough IR photons to also distract my TrackIR.

Having the ability to use TrackIR to turn a minimal part of your body when scoped in would be awesome. If you're prone you move your shoulders and head to point the right direction. Any more than maybe 80 degrees off center and you have to roll to your side so you can bend at your waist. When crouched/standing everything is off of waist/shoulder twist which should give you about 95-110 degrees to either side.

Just make sure it's on a toggle switch in the gameplay options that would disable mouse aiming when scoped. I would say it links in to the previous view options so that alt+mouse works the same way.

I'm using the trackclip pro (with IR LEDs attached to a headset) and I've had sunlight reflecting off vehicles come in through my door to distract my TrackIR camera, and two different house lights that gave off enough IR photons to also distract my TrackIR.

Having the ability to use TrackIR to turn a minimal part of your body when scoped in would be awesome. If you're prone you move your shoulders and head to point the right direction. Any more than maybe 80 degrees off center and you have to roll to your side so you can bend at your waist. When crouched/standing everything is off of waist/shoulder twist which should give you about 95-110 degrees to either side.

Just make sure it's on a toggle switch in the gameplay options that would disable mouse aiming when scoped. I would say it links in to the previous view options so that alt+mouse works the same way.

Yeah, I had similar issues with other light sources when I first started using TrackIR and the track clip pro but it's not an issue now.

After doing the test's with my bit of Blu-tack etc. the TIR one to one profile worked the best even using the zoom level of the default RCO scope picture (num / then rmb), tracking moving enemy infantry out beyond 200m: the daft thing was I found myself actually holding my breath to steady my Blu-tack aiming point, lol.